Notices

i don't understand this. it's one thing to not actively support of their own hardware, but trying to discourage devs from launching apps? really? well, nokia is dead to me personally, now. i love the n900 and wouldn't want to trade it for anything else, but when it does die and i'm forced to get another device, it won't be a nokia, that's for sure.

guys, just slap a price on it and launch it anyway. nokia are idiots.

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
use Qt 4.7, QML and target 3 platforms at once, Maemo 5, MeeGo and Symbian^3+
you will get more out your efforts in the long run.
it would be a shame if you decide to pull support b/c its a great app with a lot of future potential

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
it would be a shame if you decide to pull support b/c its a great app with a lot of future potential
I haven't followed the development of Instinctiv very closely, but this would seem like the best strategy. The market for Symbian applications is huge, and the ability to target the three platforms with relatively few code modifications is what attracted me to using Qt for developing mobile applications.

My website

GitHub

Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
QT works well for a lot of apps but there are certain classes of apps where QT doesn't really lighten the load all that much. Especially with any custom UI, there are a lot of little platform-specific quirks, which is a problem we're very familiar with. On the back-end, things like realtime processing (necessary for filling the audio buffer) or working with the filesystem are fundamentally not helped by QT.

We're definitely not pulling the app altogether. When MeeGo is ready we'd like to be a part of that. In the mean time, we'll also be launching on Android, Mac, Windows and Linux all in the immediate future.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peter@instinctiv.com For This Useful Post:
What a shame, I've been anxiously counting the days since you gave us the dec 13 date. So this means thre wonn't be a final release of Instinctiv ?

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
You know, I'm not a big fan of Closed source, but seriously, Nokia is being ******ed.
Showing two faces at once to what is to date, the best community I've been in; and mind you, the only one I've learned a lot from development-wise, is a very bad move for such a company.
On one side of the big lie, they're promising to open up components, and blaming us to be the ones who aren't reporting it, and I'm not blaming the community council here.
On the other side, they're discouraging great developers like the ones here from developing in private, not the old Nokia we all knew and loved, I'm sure.
Sorry if my language is a bit rude, and it probably will be censored, but why not just **** them in the *** and release it on your own store? (You'll get 100% profit here, without losing %40 for something they never helped make, or in fact, helped release). Add an IMEI check to the app to do what they failed to do, a proper DRM for paid apps.
Anything beats the crap that Ovi Store has become.

Hearing this about Nokia, I too doubt my next device will be one of theirs.

Edit: Thanks for taking the time to post that about them.

Last edited by MohammadAG; 2010-12-06 at 19:08.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
I haven't followed the development of Instinctiv very closely, but this would seem like the best strategy. The market for Symbian applications is huge, and the ability to target the three platforms with relatively few code modifications is what attracted me to using Qt for developing mobile applications.
The markets where Symbian is popular are not ones where credit card usage is common or where there is a strong culture of paying for music, let alone music apps. In other words, we cannot effectively monetize on Symbian. The real question for us is what will happen with MeeGo.

Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
You know, I'm not a big fan of Closed source, but seriously, Nokia is being ******ed.
Showing two faces at once to what is to date, the best community I've been in; and mind you, the only one I've learned a lot from development-wise, is a very bad move for such a company.
On one side of the big lie, they're promising to open up components, and blaming us to be the ones who aren't reporting it, and I'm not blaming the community council here.
On the other side, they're discouraging great developers like the ones here from developing in private, not the old Nokia we all knew and loved, I'm sure.
Sorry if my language is a bit rude, and it probably will be censored, but why not just **** them in the *** and release it on your own store? Add an IMEI check to the app to do what they failed to do, a proper DRM for paid apps.
Anything beats the crap that Ovi Store has become.

Hearing this about Nokia, I too doubt my next device will be one of theirs.
I want to be clear -- I think Nokia has actually treated us very fairly. They could have asked us to continue to develop for Maemo without being straightforward about their future plans. That would have been very bad for us and they absolutely did the right thing in explaining that we're wasting our time. A detailed explanation can be found here: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=830 . What sux for us is that we worked really hard on this app and the platform just didn't see the kind of continuity we were hoping. But those are the risks of any new platform and we knew that going in.

I also want to add that there have been some incredible people at Nokia who have bent over backwards for us time and time again. A big shout out to Thierry without whom we'd never have gotten even this far.

Last edited by peter@instinctiv.com; 2010-12-06 at 19:23.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to peter@instinctiv.com For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Originally Posted by peter@instinctiv.com View Post
The markets where Symbian is popular are not ones where credit card usage is common or where there is a strong culture of paying for music, let alone music apps. In other words, we cannot effectively monetize on Symbian. The real question for us is what will happen with MeeGo.
Symbian as a big market and carrier billing for Ovi in 150 countries with 3.5 million downloads a day from Ovi store. half a million per a day downloads increase in one month since S^3 launched, i think you've been reading too much US Media. Symbian is still BIG in Europe.
Developers are saying what your saying but about Android store so they go Ad funded route there.

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by peter@instinctiv.com View Post
I want to be clear -- I think Nokia has actually treated us very fairly. They could have asked us to continue to develop for Maemo without being straightforward about their future plans. That would have been very bad for us and they absolutely did the right thing in explaining that we're wasting our time. A detailed explanation can be found here: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=830 . What sux for us is that we worked really hard on this app and the platform just didn't see the kind of continuity we were hoping. But those are the risks of any new platform and we knew that going in.
Ok, fair enough. At least Nokia still shows a tiny fracture of commitment to its developers. To the users this is another punch in the face, there's no doubt.

Peter, my plead: Go back to the last version you released for Maemo, add a lock-rotation button + properly cached covers, release it as a final version, and feel free to move onto Meego with your dignity intact. You will have our upmost respect, which I'd say couldn't be better publicity for your future projects! But don't let us down just now, just because Nokia 'convinced' you to!

Myself as well as many others have been eagerly awaiting the 13th of December, which seems to do its unlucky number justice, without even being a Friday.

Last edited by Haus3r; 2010-12-06 at 20:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to Haus3r For This Useful Post: