Active Topics

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
For your info there's a sheet titled Packing List, with the Sender given as "DHL Supply Chain Finland/Jolla".

FedEx delivered the package.
So it seems that Jolla has outsourced at least the international packing and shipping to DHL. And that is why the FedEx logs show the origin of the shipments being Vantaa. There is large DHL warehouse at Vantaa next to Helsinki-Vantaa International Airport. I have fetched some of my DHL Express packages directly from there.

Edit: And because part of the work have been outsourced they cannot publicly humiliate their partner(s). That is why Jolla doesn't give out more information about the problems.

Last edited by att; 2013-12-16 at 09:54.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
Fair post there, billranton.

Originally Posted by billranton View Post
This opinion of mine would present cybette's participation in this thread and on twitter as being about as open as I would expect them to be without taking unnecessary risks. So far I haven't seen any press articles about this, because I think the whining on this forum is taken with a pinch of salt.
Yes, I think we understand our disagreement - you set your limit there, I would think they would be wise being more open and more upfront about the order process in this early adopter scenario. I don't think they would really risk anything by giving us order updates on how things are broadly speaking progressing. Again, they are a small startup, it might even benefit them greatly to do so.

Bad press depends on how one defines the word. They have received actual bad press in Finland about the delays and silence (at least one major print media has written about it), but mostly I referred to online/blogosphere reaction. As I said, I'm not trying to make this sound bigger than it is - this is not the defining thing for Jolla's future, but in the context of a Jolla order tracking thread, I find this quite topical and a good suggestion to Jolla on how to improve community relations. I think it would be easy for them to improve those relations.

Originally Posted by billranton View Post
An important thing to remember about argument logic trolls is that they usually get far too carried away with picking out phrases that could be construed as fallacies, and don't bother to think about whether the fallacy was used to support the argument or not, and claim to invalidate the whole argument regardless. If I'd called you childish for demanding more information from Jolla, then you could have the ad hominem...
You shouldn't give in so easily
It is of course a good question, is it wise to explicitly refer to fallacies when responding to them - or is that just too inflammatory. It could be unwise. Sometimes it just gets tiresome to explain the mistake in the message, mentioning a fallacy is shorthand. I for one am not doing to sound somehow important.

Case in point: The most common type of Internet coversation fallacy is probably the strawman argument - in the case of your original message I responded to, I believe you presented a far more unrealistic picture of what people here are expecting of Jolla (and then responded to that false image), than they/we actually are expecting of them, thus making their/our argument sound quite a bit more unreasonable than it in reality was. The Apple sarcasm wasn't really my main issue with it, it was a side-track. I didn't explicitly refer to the fallacy by name, but it is why I responded to it.

The Following User Says Thank You to epmt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
HELL YEEAAAAAHHHH !!!! its arrive in Germany with fedex.

Order id 116x
Shop ID 27xx

YEAAAAHHHHHH

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to cvp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by epmt View Post
Yes, I think we understand our disagreement - you set your limit there, I would think they would be wise being more open and more upfront about the order process in this early adopter scenario. I don't think they would really risk anything by giving us order updates on how things are broadly speaking progressing. Again, they are a small startup, it might even benefit them greatly to do so.
There is a risk because they have outsourced part of the work. They cannot publicly humiliate their partner(s).

The Following User Says Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
Posts: 49 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Berlin/Germany
Originally Posted by cvp View Post

Order id 116x
I'm jealous. Hopefully 1620 is on the same van!

Edit: You should have asked! Damn!

Edit2: Time to put some clothes on.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
FYI mine has just been delivered about 5 minutes ago, and my order status is still "In Picking"! My order number is 648.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by epmt View Post
Bad press depends on how one defines the word. They have received actual bad press in Finland about the delays and silence (at least one major print media has written about it), but mostly I referred to online/blogosphere reaction.
I don't think I have seen that bad press. Could you give a reference please?

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leipzig/Germany
Originally Posted by cvp View Post

Order id 116x
Shop ID 27xx

YEAAAAHHHHHH
Damn, now I'll have to look out for the fedex van instead of doing my work as I should

http://www.seiichiro0185.org

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
FYI mine has just been delivered about 5 minutes ago, and my order status is still "In Picking"! My order number is 648.
Did you get a track and trace mail at all.
hannec

Originally Posted by att View Post
There is a risk because they have outsourced part of the work. They cannot publicly humiliate their partner(s).
I doubt anyone has asked them to publicly humiliate their partners. I for one haven't.

There is a broad range of options between saying nothing in particular (as they do now) or telling everything.

For example, what risk would there be in expressing the percentage of shipments on Twitter?

Monday: 55% of all pre-orders are now out!
Tuesday: Hit 70% today, making up for lost time! Yay!
Wednesday: 90%, the homerun is opening!
Thursday: All Jolla pre-orders have been mailed! Happy Holidays to all the sailors!

Jolla, feel free to use this idea if you wish.