Notices

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
I just stick with DC.

Texting on TOR was a little odd for me.

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by heavyt View Post
Instant messaging sometimes take over 5 mins to post on my N810. Other times it only takes 30 sec. Is this normal?
TOR has to poll the website to receive updates. To save on battery the time it takes to check for texts grows over time but is reset anytime a text is sent or received.

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
Originally Posted by epage View Post
TOR has to poll the website to receive updates. To save on battery the time it takes to check for texts grows over time but is reset anytime a text is sent or received.
Thanks for the respone. I sent test texts to my N810 and it does not seem to reset the poll time. Sometimes it shows incoming text with no delay other times it takes forever even if I send the texts one after the other. DC seems more reliable.

Originally Posted by heavyt View Post
Thanks for the respone. I sent test texts to my N810 and it does not seem to reset the poll time. Sometimes it shows incoming text with no delay other times it takes forever even if I send the texts one after the other. DC seems more reliable.
Hmm, I've not experienced this. Mind sending me the log file?

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
I will get the file to you sometime tomorrow, traveling at the moment

Question about the TOR/Google Voice plugin:

I configured a Google Voice account and used the cell phone number connected to the SIM in my n900 for the Screen Name. I keep getting 'line busy' error messages.

Is it even possible to configure the callback number as the number you're calling out from? Or, do I have to use a different callback number? I do have a gizmo number but the call quality could be better.

What I had wanted was to do was call out to my google voice number, have the call disconnect, and then have it call back into my cell line from google voice.

I'm not sure if this is possible and it "has" to call back on Gizmo (or another number that isn't my SIM cell number).

Originally Posted by eachna View Post
Question about the TOR/Google Voice plugin:

I configured a Google Voice account and used the cell phone number connected to the SIM in my n900 for the Screen Name. I keep getting 'line busy' error messages.

Is it even possible to configure the callback number as the number you're calling out from? Or, do I have to use a different callback number? I do have a gizmo number but the call quality could be better.

What I had wanted was to do was call out to my google voice number, have the call disconnect, and then have it call back into my cell line from google voice.

I'm not sure if this is possible and it "has" to call back on Gizmo (or another number that isn't my SIM cell number).
Hmm, I'm not sure if I'm confused or you are. So in TOR's configuration you set the nickname to your cellphone number?

Hmm, I'm not sure if I'm confused or you are. So in TOR's configuration you set the nickname to your cellphone number?
I went to "settings/voip and im accounts" and created a new account for Google Voice.

I entered my gv username and password. There's a "screen name" option that originally had my gizmo number. I changed it to my Tmobile cell number.

I'm not sure if this is TOR or the "Google Voice plugin" which is part of TOR. I did install both.

Or, heck, I guess it could be something else that gives me the chance to configure Google Voice settings.

Edit: I have no doubt that if anyone is confused it's me .

Originally Posted by eachna View Post
I went to "settings/voip and im accounts" and created a new account for Google Voice.

I entered my gv username and password. There's a "screen name" option that originally had my gizmo number. I changed it to my Tmobile cell number.

I'm not sure if this is TOR or the "Google Voice plugin" which is part of TOR. I did install both.

Or, heck, I guess it could be something else that gives me the chance to configure Google Voice settings.

Edit: I have no doubt that if anyone is confused it's me .
The One Ring (TOR) is the actual name of the GV Plugin like Butterfly is the name of a MSN plugin. This can be confusing because there is also TOR which is a internet proxy.

So you put either your gizmo or you tmobile cell number into the nickname spot and the gizmo works but not the tmobile?

The Following User Says Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
The One Ring (TOR) is the actual name of the GV Plugin like Butterfly is the name of a MSN plugin. This can be confusing because there is also TOR which is a internet proxy.

So you put either your gizmo or you tmobile cell number into the nickname spot and the gizmo works but not the tmobile?
I don't use TOR proxy (I know what it is). The One Ring is the only TOR I use .

If I understand correctly, "Google Voice Plugin" is what I installed so that I could go to a contact card and have an option to contact someone via Google Voice. "The One Ring" (which makes use of that plugin) is what then actually handles the call and dials out to google and sends my callback number. Of course, I may have those backwards or just be completely wrong. Regardless, I know the plugin and TOR work together somehow .

Back to my problem, yes, when I put my Gizmo number into the nickname spot, and choose to call a contact from the contact card via Google Voice, it connects correctly (calls me back).

When I put my Tmobile number in the nickname spot, when I try to call a contact via Google Voice I get an alert that the line is busy.

Edit: Happy Thanksgiving (if you celebrate it).

Tags
google voice, maemo 4, maemo 5