Originally Posted by nitro99 View Post
I was faced with the exact same dilemma.....

Couldnt decide so now I have both.

After using both I reliased that each has its own plus and minus.

Nothing beats the N900 on net speed whether its Wifi or 3G.
And the power of having a linux box in your pocket is really something else.

Whereas on the Galaxy the screen is a dreamer...scratch proof - I must add...My N900 already has scratches

And the App market even though not as technical as the N900 is still very exhaustive, I was able to find almost all N900 apps which I use (equivalent features / not same) on the Android Market.
I think I have just found the right person in you to answer my questions since you have both N900 and Samsung Galaxy-S. Can you please answer some of my questions

1. When you watch a Video on the N900 does it look a grade fader then the Samsung Galaxy-s, How would you rate screen resolution and display when you compare it with the Samsung Galaxy-S. I know with the Amoled screen the Galaxy will definitely be better, but is the N900 lacking far too behind. is it like it is completely out of the race against the Galaxy.

2. Android and MAEMO 5 are 2 different things, BUt when you used both do you feel Android is more easier and friendly to use than the MAEMO 5.

The driving point for me will be the screen display between both. What I look for is when I am visiting a webpage it should give ma a near to PC experience,which I guess with the 4 Inch Amoled screen Galaxy also kind of gives it. And then of course the Screen Display if I am watching a video or playing games.

Can you tell me your observations about these points.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to augustya For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by TH3ORY View Post
LOL Chill out i believe you, all i am saying is that I’m sure it said free Skype for a couple of android handsets that’s all….
My disgust wasn't aimed towards you... it plain sucks that I'm left high and dry due to Verizon's side deal.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
My disgust wasn't aimed towards you... it plain sucks that I'm left high and dry due to Verizon's side deal.
Meanwhile, back at my evil lair...

Dan: YES! I have it! I HAVE IT! SOON, all the world will BOW to the power of SKYPE on my Motorola Droid! MWahahahahaha...

[music interrupts the laughter, Dan presses a finger on the screen and the Droid beeps obediently]

Dan: Yes, hello? Mother? UGH! Why do you always call when I'm in the middle of my plans for ruthless world domination??? ...yes, yes, milk.. eggs.. bread...

Last edited by danramos; 2010-09-03 at 08:24. Reason: typo

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Well, I have just ordered my little SGS from a Scot on eBay.
Not ditching the N900 just yet. I will certainly miss the flash and the FM transmitter.
But..
I am going to have a play with it and nip back on here for a "compare and contrast" sort of post.
<puts up his hate-screen in case an angry NIFOC 14 year old thinks I might be an SGS convert>

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
I hear that the picture takes wonderful quality pictures in low light.

Another unknown feature is the sound quality. Apparently, the Galaxy S has damn-near-perfect fidelity streaming out of the 3.5mm jack:
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i900...view-478p6.php

In fact, the above link is a wonderful review, the likes of which are not typically seen at the more popular blogs.

One thing is certain, the Galaxy S hardware is top-tier.

Posts: 353 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ India
Yup! i can vouch for the awesome almost perfect sound of the Galaxy S.. it really is good !

Originally Posted by augustya View Post
Android and MAEMO 5 are 2 different things, BUt when you used both do you feel Android is more easier and friendly to use than the MAEMO 5.
No, not at all—though this might be because I've had the N900 for long enough to get used to it. Android feels like an unhappy compromise between the walled garden "we know what's best for you" of Apple and the "we trust you, and in the end it's your device" of Nokia.

I'm in a somewhat similar boat as the OP and others... I got an Epic 4G, and now I can't decide whether to keep it, or stick with my N900. The Samsung's hardware "feels" better—the keyboard and screen are just absolutely gorgeous. But Maemo is a far superior OS—I'd forgotten the reasons I moved away from Android. It's more intuitive and more powerful... now I don't know whether or not to stick with the functional or the pretty.

But if we wanted pretty, we'd have iPhones, right?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
And if you wanted support you'd... naw, too easy...

The whole diss against the Galaxy S is still odd to me.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I find the Android operating system unintuitive and underpowered. If you like Android and are moving from an N900, the Galaxy S Pro is your only choice. Beautiful hardware, especially the keyboard and screen. It's light, if a little plasticky and a tad on the big side. But it requires you to like Android, which is not an OS for everyone. It's not a "diss against the Galaxy S," it's a lament that the operating system isn't one I like as much, or find as useful, as Maemo. I don't think that's unreasonable.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to osakimandias For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
And if you wanted support you'd... naw, too easy...

The whole diss against the Galaxy S is still odd to me.
You find it odd to see people on the Maemo forums being defensive?

Originally Posted by osakimandias View Post
I find the Android operating system unintuitive and underpowered.
God... I suddenly had the urge to reply "Yeah well... your face is unintuitive and underpowered." What the hell is wrong with me??

Tags
n900-fail-wail