Posts: 180 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Miami
Originally Posted by Dak View Post
Yes, it is a phone.

Yes, it is a browser.

Yes, it is an email client.

Yes it is an mp3 player.

Why arw people so incapable of stepping out of 'the box' and understanding that these ultra-mobile computers are capable of being many things at once?
ur right, it is all of the above, but when people see it as a phone first they expect more phone functions. so its better to refer to it as a tablet the way nokia wants it. it is a tablet first and phone second.

Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
its not about that dak- everyone knows what it does, the problem lies because many are dissapointed by its basic phone functions- so fanboys are trying to say dont be dissapointed by that its not supposed to be that in the first place.

the real point is what is it gonna replace- what are peoples primary useage

Originally Posted by RobertHall View Post
the N900 wasnt ever marketed as an "iphone killer" or even "the next big thing".....(unfortunately) nokia's flagship device is still the N97....
nokia was actually quite amazed at the mass response to the n900....and still keeps quoting that the device isnt "meant for the masses".....
again

robert its basic marketing- its suggestive.

its not saying simply that it has a better web browser its a play on words

theres an app for that

thers a web browser for that

its a direct marketing suggestion against a competitor.

your pc wouldnt use the slogan 'theres a web browser for that' because its not competing against it.

.. what you are falling to realise robert is its what they do not what they say.

what they did was create the slogan "theres a web browser for that"

and say- og err its not really supposed to be a phone- when they havent finsihed it but need to get it out b4 crimbo. because they have marketd the fk out of it

seriously you need to wise up

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Barbados/London
maybe those people who are disappointed should have read about it...
many blogs,forums and even fanboys...before its release kept saying "its a tablet that has phone functionality" not the other way around....but many people came to their own conclusion that "it carries a sim its a phone" then got disappointed...why?
if you were in the market for a car and the sales agent told you "YES, it does look like a car has wheels engine etc....but the steering wheel is almost non existent".....
there are a few who would simply say "not for me"....and the others who will still buy it...THEN get disappointed when they cant steer properley....
my point is this......if its not for you...it isnt....but dont go on about what it lacks as a phone when CLEARLY it has been stated times and times over....its a tablet...with phone functionality.....
if u dont like it...sell it...and move on! simple!
and to further the issue...what was the biggest complaint of other tablets before? it lacked a gsm/phone functionality....
now that it has been added as a minor part of the overall experience....its still being slated.....

Last edited by RobertHall; 2010-01-06 at 02:36.

i agree but its not the point.. they marketed it in many diffrent ways. the suggestion was there and these things go into the subconcious

i personally am very happy with the n900, but can understand how nokia sell products- they are a business and sales is the goal

N900: Not Just a Phone, Not Yet a Laptop
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=37098

robert i suppose in a massive corporation you have many departments.

sometimes there work against each other, but the ultimate goal is to sell. the people whos job to market this phone had to get something going to sell this device, if they couldnt get any networks or middle men(eg mobile phones direct)on board no crimbo bonus for them.

nokia will not make on this phone and they knew that from the beginig, in all purpose from the top boys at nokia this is R&D, and the stance from there spokes people is that it was meant for a niche market. that doesnt stop the marketers tho.

".what was the biggest complaint of other tablets before? it lacked a gsm/phone functionality....
now that it has been added as a minor part of the overall experience....its still being slated...."

well that robert is allways gonna happen you turn a niche device into a device thats in all purpose a neccesity(phone)or at least add the function- you get sales and lots of them- with that comes the critics, there will be more and more and more- infact if the nokia gets better you will get even more having a bash at it- because it will be more popular, so you will be fending them of with a stick untlll you cant take any more.

Posts: 280 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland
saying its not a phone is just an excuse for not making a good enough product. We dont need internet tablets, we need a device that can offer us everything and more. I hope for nokia that devs will take adv. of the opensource and try to make it complete.

Perhaps this confusion is, in part, attributable to Nokia's almost legendary tone-deafness to the user-community.

Maybe it's because they're Finns? I know a few Finns and they're cool, but is there a cultural disconnect causing problems?

I would like to talk personally to some serious Nokia folk, to solve these issues.......

Tags
communicator, computaphone!, foad abill, its a computer!, its a phone!