Poll: Why didn't you vote?
Poll Options
Why didn't you vote?

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Could you offer the implementation of this technology in you bet with fanoush? B)

Disclaimer: I don't know either who will win.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Wow, if even a Nokian can't say who'll win the Pandora/Nokia shipping bet...

But, as to the technology -- is talk.maemo.org going to stay with vBulletin as the platform?

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Then we could simply merge t.m.o and the mailing lists completely.

We can do it! We have the technology!
Yes, it's called gmane

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Yes, like gmane, but without all the ugly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Wow, if even a Nokian can't say who'll win the Pandora/Nokia shipping bet...
Yeah, but Quim's become an expert at compartmentalising his mind into bits which other parts may never reach ;-)

But, as to the technology -- is talk.maemo.org going to stay with vBulletin as the platform?
Yes. It's going to be the exact same site, with a new URL and a new theme.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Sometimes knowing one of two variables doesn't provide more certainty that knowing none.

But my point was: are you going to pick a battle as council member and fight until resolving it? I'm asking as a community member that did vote.

I would prefer if community members that did vote would tell me what battles I should pick. I mean, that's what most elected people do, right? But in this case, I was elected without even a platform; so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what my constituency wants me to do.

Sure, I'll try to put together a serious proposal for merging the forums and the mailing lists. But what does my Community Councilorship gain me in this area? What difference is there between me and a long-term, respected member of the community like PenguinBait doing something? From what I can tell, the answer seems to be, "not much"

Last edited by qole; 2009-04-02 at 22:32.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Sorry, I think we've answered any specific question accurately and simply. If you have other questions, how about formulating them into a list?

Can I ask questions (I did vote)?

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Improvements to the council homepage are planned, and suggestions on what you'd like to see are welcome.

There's also been the suggestion of communicating council "business" more vigorously via Twitter (#m.occ) and on the current Sprint page's "daily reporting" section.

Sorry, I think we've answered any specific question accurately and simply. If you have other questions, how about formulating them into a list?

What request?

Get people involved in what? Plenty of people are involved in developing Mer, editing wiki pages, dealing with bugs, benefiting from the work of Niels and Jeremiah, downloading software, uploading software, and discussing on these fora.

When Nokia ask "do you want us to sponsor another summit, and where?", the elected council (and this is a representative democracy - not asking for feedback on everything) will steer and advise based on their opinions - and the opinions of anyone else offered.

You don't need our permission to do anything, and the role of the council as facilitators means you might not notice when we do things (which is fine - this isn't about glory, it's about getting things done).

It should be pretty clear what the council does (see my explanations above). It may not be everything you want the council to do, or you may have questions about its value, but I think questions of what we actually do have been answered.

Sorry, maybe you missed my list:

What the council is working on?

How can I give my input?

How can I get involved to help?

How can I request help? (what type of help can/should be requested)

Can there be a single place that contains this information? This is my request, my question, my wonderment....

I think that you could get more people involved to help if people actually knew what was being worked on. I do not have anything I want help with. I may be able to help with some low hanging fruit if there was some published list of tasks that needed to be done, as I think would others.

I am merely putting in my two cents as to a problem I see. Qole even seems to also acknowledge some confusion. If you think all is great in maemo land, do as you please.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Sorry, maybe you missed my list:
And maybe you missed the answers?

What the council is working on?
Currently, the council is involved in:
  • The organisation of the 2009 Maemo Summit
  • Backup mentors for GSoC, supporting the wonderful work that VDVsx is doing
  • The redesign of maemo.org
  • Pushing for the community's vision of the Hildon Application Manager
  • Organising the maemo.org sprint meetings (next is on Monday)
  • Ongoing tasks such as ensuring that one bit of the community knows what's going on elsewhere

How can I give my input?
How can I get involved to help?
Depends on what you want to give input. We act on information we glean from maemo-* mailing lists, blog posts syndicated to the planet, threads here, conversations here and our own personal opinions (after all, we were elected because of our opinions, so they have value).

One of the purposes of the council is to prevent long discussions about "how best to do X" when it would be simple to do, it shouldn't be controversial and it can be changed afterwards anyway.

But "how can I give my input [to the council]" is the wrong question. The right question is "how can I get involved in more community work?" to which the answer is "just do it" - you don't need anyone's permission, although the council can probably advise you if there's anyone you could join up with rather than reinventing the wheel.

How can I request help? (what type of help can/should be requested)
Just ask. We can always say "no". The best example I can think of is Mer having a build system behind the same restrictions as normal firmwares, so that closed components can be included under the same licencing terms; or helping formulate the list of closed components to give to Nokia.

Stskeeps started it and drove it, but I like to think we helped in some way. Again, though, there's nothing that couldn't be done by any other respected member of the community.

The key point of the council is: by being elected, it allows people (incl. Nokia) to know that the community sees us as the respected members.

Can there be a single place that contains this information? This is my request, my question, my wonderment....
An obvious place to put such meta-questions (which may form a council "FAQ") is http://wiki.maemo.org/Talk:Community_Council

I think that you could get more people involved to help if people actually knew what was being worked on.
I think you missed my point: the council doesn't need an army of volunteers ready to do our bidding. We're facilitators, not commanders.

I may be able to help with some low hanging fruit if there was some published list of tasks that needed to be done, as I think would others.
Don't do anything you don't want to do (or wouldn't do otherwise). Specific tasks are generally raised on maemo-community or our blog. Some of the ongoing stuff:
  • Post here, help people.
  • Subscribe to maemo-community if you're really committed; or watch maemo.org/news/
  • Help triage bugs (i.e. join the Bugsquad)
  • Improve the wiki

The basic rule of community involvement: if you see a problem, don't wait for someone else to fix it.

I am merely putting in my two cents as to a problem I see. Qole even seems to also acknowledge some confusion. If you think all is great in maemo land, do as you please.
I'm trying to help you (and qole) understand my vision and understanding, but please stop the passive aggressive crap.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:

Tags
community council, maemo.org