Notices

Sorry, my fault, I made the mistake in thinking that after selecting 'Listen for Incoming Connections' in the list and that it had changed to a button, it was then listening for a connection. When infact, I needed to press the 'Connect' button; a little visual confusion going on there. Perhaps the 'Connect' button could change to 'Listen'? It may help visually.

Out of interest, why do you change the list into a button, is it because there is no way to lock the content from a user editing it? Perhaps if left as a list it would give less confusion – or maybe it’s just me.

Last edited by JonWW; 2010-10-20 at 20:39.

The Following User Says Thank You to JonWW For This Useful Post:
Posts: 458 | Thanked: 783 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ France
Originally Posted by cpulvermacher View Post
0.6 is now in extras-devel (direct link to .deb).

Changelog:
* Add zoom bar
* Add "Listen for Incoming Connections" option to host list
* Stability fixes
Hi

Look like listen mode work now :

Code:
-bash-2.05b$ lsof -ni -N | grep 5500
presencev 1978 user   15u  IPv4  18399       TCP *:5500 (LISTEN)
Report presencevnc listening on port 5500 ...*

Then going on the client side, right click on the systray vnc server icon and choose 'Add New Client'.

In the box opening, type IP of the N900 and TADA !!!

Many Thanks !!!

Keep up the good work ...

A++

Last edited by colin.stephane; 2010-10-20 at 20:53.

@JonWW:
You're right, disallowing editing of the drop-down makes it look like a button...
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try to make it behave a bit more consistent (and I'll definitely rename the 'Connect' button).

The Following User Says Thank You to cpulvermacher For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cpulvermacher View Post
You're right, disallowing editing of the drop-down makes it look like a button...
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try to make it behave a bit more consistent
Oh, is that the default behaviour of a list when it's locked from editing.
Will the incoming connection work over 3G... all we will need is a DynDNS update client... oh, this is going to be so good

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by JonWW View Post
Will the incoming connection work over 3G... all we will need is a DynDNS update client... oh, this is going to be so good
Unless your service provider is giving out routable IP addresses (I don't think any of the UK ones do though), then no.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Oh, is that the default behaviour of a list when it's locked from editing.
Take a look at www.no-ip.com.. i use it and it works good.

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

The Following User Says Thank You to AlMehdi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
Unless your service provider is giving out routable IP addresses (I don't think any of the UK ones do though), then no.
Bummer, just tried connecting with O2, not a sniff with either Presence VNC or x11vnc.
Never knew about the 'routable IP address' thing and mobile internet access, I supose that's a security thing and therefore makes sense. Still doesn't help me get around the routers that I cannot change port forwarding on due to overcontroling ISPs and there rubbish routers.
Learnt something new today, many thanks Rob1n.

Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
Take a look at www.no-ip.com.. i use it and it works good.
I assume www.no-ip.com ofers the same dynamic dns address service as www.dyndns.com, which I allready have setup on my own router.
Is the 'routable IP addresses' situation different in Sweeden for mobile internet access, because this it isn't going to work here in the UK.

Yes, many (almost all ?) mobile ISP give you non routable ip adress.
Reverse SSH + port forwarding can help with this.

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
I have no clue about 'routable IP addresses'.. it just works for me. I think they work the same. Your ip are updated to their server via a client and they give you a name adress to connect through. The only thing i had to do was to open the NAT on the router.

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Bummer, just tried connecting with O2, not a sniff with either Presence VNC or x11vnc.
Never knew about the 'routable IP address' thing and mobile internet access, I supose that's a security thing and therefore makes sense. Still doesn't help me get around the routers that I cannot change port forwarding on due to overcontroling ISPs and there rubbish routers.
Learnt something new today, many thanks Rob1n.
Not so much a security thing (though NAT does help with security), more a lack of IP addresses. We're only a few months away from running out of routable IP addresses, so using several million for mobile phones isn't an option. Instead the service providers will use non-routable (private) addresses (see here for details) internally, then NAT them to a small range of routable addresses.

Whenever the world gets round to switching to IPv6, this problem should go away. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for this though.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post: