Posts: 113 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Australia
Originally Posted by torsen View Post
FM transmitter mainly as I drive a 200 mile round trip daily to and from work. annoying thing is that the desire apparently has the fm transmitter hardware but it not enabled..yet.

Other than that I miss the 32gb onboard storage of the N900, but the desire is for me doing everything I need it to, and a lot faster than my over clocked N900 could ever do.
Yea fair enough. And yea kind of silly the Desire has the hardware but is not being utilised.. I ended up buying a battery operated FM transmitter of ebay here. It works quite well! It has a good range and it transmits louder than my N900 did.

I never over clocked my N900 but the speed was the first thing I noticed when I got my Desire. Love browsing the web and scrolling down a page without having to wait for it to load. My N900 would always have a grid when scrolling down a page for a few seconds then load that part of the page..

Originally Posted by michalurban View Post
And one more question, what about changing the battery in Desire, are you afraid of breaking something?
I'll throw my two cents in here. The USB port issue was the main reason I decided to move on from the N900. The port feels rock solid in the Desire. It is snug in the case and does not float like the N900's port did as pictured bellow -

Also the port has metal lugs that extend into the case to stop it from being pulled out -

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Magel282 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 53 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Suffolk
Yes the build quality is solid, you know the desire and its OS (for me) a couple of weeks in just keeps getting better.

I am sorry for saying it here, but my N900 feels agricultural when used alongside the desire. The desire really is a very useful thing to carry around.

Can the desire work ajax rich sites like gmail's full web site, not mobile stuff?
I use a system called sugar crm which is opensource and the n900 is nearly the only mobile that can correctly display its pages.

Well to be honest, sugarcrm can be viewed on an ipad too but not an iphone.

So i rate the n900 browser highest then the ipad, iphone and the rest are mostly crap when it comes to ajax sites.

Last edited by ehab; 2010-06-11 at 22:48. Reason: adding more content

Posts: 222 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Sydney Australia
I find this a very interesting thread, different points of views and things that people look for when saying that is the better choice for them.
I am no geek or into Linux, never used it actually or even programing, so in some aspects for me the n900 is not refined or finished off enough for a sold product. That said, it is also one off the things that sets it apart and makes it on the top of the pile, in my view. I have a had what I consider a few higher end mobiles over the last few years, E90, iphone, X1, E71 and now the N900. Personally the E90 was the best of the lot, and continued to revert back to it though after 3yrs, it was simply outdated software wise and had to find something new, hence n900. The simple fact that the phone is so open and the Maemo community backing it has makes it by far the most versatile and adaptive phone on the market and that's what gives it a huge hand over others, overall. The same thing that killed the E90 for me and does all phones will still do to the n900 though should see it last longer than most is the versatility. being able to write new apps, port the latest OS etc Even dual boot which means you should always be pretty up to date with tech as time moves on and have best of multiple mobile worlds than normal.
Further, my opinion!
The main thing it comes down to is hardware! Whilst software manipulates and opens doors, this is limited to the hardware capabilities! This phone doesn't have the biggest screen or best keyboard though does have them and decent ones at that. It always amazes me how people talk about how better a mobile is and compare things such as size, weight, screen size, keyboard and camera. You will often hear things like "This one is better as it is half the size" . Umm, of cause it is, it is missing the keyboard, maybe even a smaller screen, those 2 major items make a huge difference to the ease, speed and accuracy of editing files, viewing them and even making it close to a laptop replacement for the serious users. I guess a persons view is a persons view and noted, but seriously. If going to compare and be serious, no disrespect. Be serious, compare on a level of what it's max capabilities are and practical use is rather than based on your poor choice for your purpose. It's like comparing an E90 & E71 and saying the E71 is a better phone, it's so much smaller and slimmer. I don't use the keyboard or need the bigger screen.
Also as noted above, whilst the N900 does have little quirks and sometimes seems sluggish with web pages. It opens full browser pages, not compressed mobile friendly sites like most mobiles. Use the N900 with your m.facebook sites etc and then compare, it will perform flawlessly with a stable his speed connection. For that matter, it will perform flawlessly opening full browser pages provided a stable high speed connection in all instances I have used.

Keep in mind, this is just a bias, frustrated N900 users opinion.

Stephen

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
@coffee/stephen,

And that is why i normally skip review texts where people do not really understand or know what they REALLY want. Like HW keyboard example is good and shows that some people just don't know how to make comparison. Some people just keep dreaming on mashup of different good features/capabilities of devices without realizing that some of features are perhaps ruling out each other.

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 75 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Malta
What d'you guys think about the desire hd? I think i'll be getting it once it comes out since it's supposed to be on gsm. Maybe screen is too big but whatever i want to try it out. It's sexy besides my bro has been eyeing my n900 for some time maybe i'll give it to him as a christmas present

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/09/h...s-up-on-video/

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Manchester, UK
the screen on the desire is very pixelly, ie you can see rgb pixels when there is white.

n900 screen is much better for clarity

RIP: Nokia N900 - ARM Cortex A8 @ 1150mhz - 32GB + 8GB - Maemo 5 PR1.2 + Android 2.2

[22:52] <DJ_Steve> its like ive released somethign useful or something

Posts: 222 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Sydney Australia
Originally Posted by fieryriver View Post
What d'you guys think about the desire hd? I think i'll be getting it once it comes out since it's supposed to be on gsm. Maybe screen is too big but whatever i want to try it out. It's sexy besides my bro has been eyeing my n900 for some time maybe i'll give it to him as a christmas present

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/09/h...s-up-on-video/
I guess the first question is what do you want and want it to do?
9 out of 10 users simply want a mobile with a little media functions and social sites. So if that is it, pretty much any of your phones ranged (outright, not on a plan) $350AUD upwards will do the job and usually pretty well for those purposes. Anything else is either for a more specific audience or simply bling factor. If you are generally wanting anything else you are needing a decent screen and keyboard. You forget that whilst most higher end mobiles have a decent sized screen, they need it! Without the keyboard and using the virtual keyboard, they are lucky to have 3 lines left. Bloody pointless!
Once again though, my opinion.

The Following User Says Thank You to Coffee For This Useful Post:
What is the size of the screen on the desire?