Originally Posted by nymajoak View Post
Idea regarding dashboard and thumbnails (Is this what you proposed, Thor?):
I am thinking that if all applications continually have to have a landscape version implemented, one way would be to (like now) always display that version on the dashboard. Then all thumbnails would have the same orientation and the array wouldn't be messed up. The issue, visually, would then only be to rotate the thumbnails around their own center axis between the portrait and landscape representation of the dashboard. The contents of each thumbnail would regardless of the orientation of the dashboard be landscape versions of the app.
Pros:
* The array of thumbnails "looks good" regardless of dashboard orientation and what orientation the apps are in. No problem with different orientations of thumbnails.
Cons:
* All applications have to have landscape support (as it is today)
* The thumbnail representation of the app might not have the same orientation as the application currently is running. Confusing when switching to and from such an application?
It's not that simple unfortunately. The thumbnails are not snapshots of the application, they are the actual mapped window, just redirected into a small space. So if the application is currently running in portrait mode, where would the dashboard get the landscape version from?

One possibility would be that an application would have to switch back to landscape mode before the dashboard is opened, so all background applications would always run in landscape. But this would introduce considerable delay every time you access the taskswitcher/daskboard, and another delay after selecting the task (when it switches back to portrait mode).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
Posts: 199 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ gbg.se
Originally Posted by kanishou View Post
It's not that simple unfortunately. The thumbnails are not snapshots of the application, they are the actual mapped window, just redirected into a small space. So if the application is currently running in portrait mode, where would the dashboard get the landscape version from?

One possibility would be that an application would have to switch back to landscape mode before the dashboard is opened, so all background applications would always run in landscape. But this would introduce considerable delay every time you access the taskswitcher/daskboard, and another delay after selecting the task (when it switches back to portrait mode).
I am probably wrong, but are we not in this situation already today? The dashboard only displays landscape versions of the applications, meaning any applications running in portrait (such as the caller application) are switched when the dashboard is called.

Does this mean we could get into trouble (as the system is designed today) if more applications are implemented with portrait support?

Edit: Only one app should be affected each time and needs to be rotated to or from landscape. The caller/dialer app seems to handle it, without significant delays at least when going TO the dashboard (note "fraction of a second"). I assume it works well in the other direction as well (going to the app from the dashboard).

Last edited by nymajoak; 2009-09-27 at 20:08.

Posts: 547 | Thanked: 1,383 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Can anyone clarify how it works if you are in Dialer (or whatever the phone app is called ) in portrait and open up the Dashboard? Does this switch the phone app to landscape or does it show the portraitmode version just rotated 90 degrees?

To me, just rotating the app 90 degrees to make it fit in the window seems good enough of a solution, but I guess Nokia are a bit more picky.

Problem with fMMS? Run in x-terminal: cp /tmp/fmms.log /home/user/MyDocs/
After that you'll see fmms.log in filemanager or when you connect the device to your desktop as a mass storage device.
E-mail the log to me, if you don't have the email address, drop me a PM. Thanks!

fMMS - MMS for your N900
fAPN - GUI for adding a new GPRS APN
If you like this post, don't be shy to thank me -->

Originally Posted by frals View Post
Can anyone clarify how it works if you are in Dialer (or whatever the phone app is called ) in portrait and open up the Dashboard? Does this switch the phone app to landscape
Yes, it does.

The Following User Says Thank You to nymajoak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nymajoak View Post
I am probably wrong, but are we not in this situation already today? The dashboard only displays landscape versions of the applications, meaning any applications running in portrait (such as the caller application) are switched when the dashboard is called.
Yes, that's the situation we are in. If that's good enough, we don't need to discuss alternatives. But I don't think that anyone using portrait mode exclusively would be satisfied with this behaviour (it is fairly slow).

Does this mean we could get into trouble (as the system is designed today) if more applications are implemented with portrait support?
No, it's just irritating and slow to use the dashboard while in portrait mode. Just disabling the animation if you stay in portrait orientation might help a lot already, but it would still depend on the complexity of the UI that gets rearranged.

The Following User Says Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kanishou View Post
Yes, that's the situation we are in. If that's good enough, we don't need to discuss alternatives. But I don't think that anyone using portrait mode exclusively would be satisfied with this behaviour (it is fairly slow).

No, it's just irritating and slow to use the dashboard while in portrait mode. Just disabling the animation if you stay in portrait orientation might help a lot already, but it would still depend on the complexity of the UI that gets rearranged.
Thanks. Sounds like some attention to the issue might be motivated even without rotation of the dashboard -- to not diminish the experience of applications running in portrait mode..

EDIT: What I mean is that is fairly pointless to have ASR/USR if there is not first "good" support for applications in portrait mode. *need sleep*

Last edited by nymajoak; 2009-09-28 at 01:12.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
so now we need a better way to display portrait apps in the dashboard. But I can work with it as is for now if we had ASR.

Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
ASR would just please everyone (landscape only lovers can use landscape, portrait only lovers could use portrait, indefferents could use either or whatever they prefer / app). It needs to be done. Seriously.

The Following User Says Thank You to joshua.maverick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by joshua.maverick View Post
ASR would just please everyone (landscape only lovers can use landscape, portrait only lovers could use portrait, indefferents could use either or whatever they prefer / app). It needs to be done. Seriously.
Wow. Someone who actually gets it!!

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sweden
I prefer to use Portrait most of the time for quick tasks ( Phone reading SMS, emails, Media player...as then I can operate the device with ONE hand (thumb)

Tags
chris vs landscape mode