Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by aironeous View Post
It's Q1 2010 man.
Who is testing this huh? Nobody.
Is there some other place on the internet that we can find Nokia employees testing a flash 10 beta? No there isn't.

If there was anybody in the f'n world testing a flash 10.1 beta for N900 we would have atleast been given a heads up by some of the members here that they were testing a beta version.

Adobe flash 10 is a monopoly.

They do what they want, when they want, how they want and if your OS doesn't like it too f'n bad.
So many online websites and interaction depend on them yet they are in a dictatorship position.
Cripes. You're THAT guy, aren't you? You know the one. The one with with the nervous tick and the conspiracy theories and keeps angsting about how the IRS is illegal (but doesn't dare not pay it). That guy.. the the one that makes us relatively healthy paranoids look bad.

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Q1 2010 isn't Jan or Feb. It's a time period (till March or April.. I can't remember since different companies use different time periods)
There's only 12 months in a year, a quarter of a year is three months and it's a measurable length. Now if they stated, "our financial Q1"... that's a different calendar that they're referring to and it's a three month period from THEIR calendar. Q1 is a solid period from January 1st through March 31st--period. It's not something a company can claim differently if they state it as a flat out period of our modern calendar.

Posts: 315 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Montreal, canada
this thread was a bit slow but I think more website will use flash 10 people will get upset if flash 10 doesn't go out

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ OC, CA
Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
I am guessing they want to release it on all smartphone and desktop platforms at the same time.
That is exactly the case. People don't seem to realize that Flash has dependencies like Flash Media Server. Adobe always seeds the player before the server to ensure compatibility. Add to that the fact that mobile deployment is a lot more complex than desktop deployment. And the mobile market is completely different in terms of their partners vs. the desktop market. A gradual rollout over mobile platforms would be a support nightmare for them nevermind competitors would spin it as an underlying problem with their technology.

There are no conspiracies here, besides the fact that some people would like to believe so. You don't hear about testing because partners are under NDA. And it really isn't constructive to any form of discussion to ***** and moan continuously.

The Following User Says Thank You to konfoo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
I hope there is no Memory Leak like the flash player 9.4 on the current firmware. The memory leak is terribly bad, once view a flash content like video, the phone will runs really slow and even after it closed down, the phone seem to runs fine but the battery is not running fine. Battery drain like there is a leak in the pipe.

hey, tried to view a youtube video today in microb, got a message saying that my flash player is out of date, followed the link to the flash update site, where flash 10 is available to download, has anyone else experienced anything similar, available downloads are YUM, APT .deb, .tar.gz and .rpm, expecting to see a .install, have not tried yet... cheers

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Something might have broke in the JS verification on YouTube. They require 9.x player (and they probably never will require 10 as it adds nothing to the ability to play video) so it was probably a temporary glitch.

Players available on Adobe site are for x86 architectures therefore those are not applicable on your N900. Flash 10.1 for Maemo will probably come with one of the firmware updates in the future...

The Following User Says Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
you can write your own flash player, say Adobe, as all the standards are public
http://blogs.adobe.com/open/2010/02/...pen_trail.html

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
That's what I've been saying for years (although only with Tamarin the openness became enough useful for real world application), but there are two problems:

1) Some of the crucial parts for what Flash today is massively used - codecs, some bits of vector processing and shaders (until they switch to pure PixelBender), some of the sandboxing procedures, as well as upcoming HW acceleration are not open, and at least 80% of Flash on the web uses those.
2) If you build your own, better player it will take you a decade to reach Flash Player penetration, so you would need to follow their specifications of what you can and cannot do to the letter. This is the part where disadvantage of proprietary formats kick in...

Either way, it is applaudable for Adobe to release so much of the Flash platform in the open, but it still is not enough (and in most cases it really is not Adobe's fault) for independent groups to release some useful replacement. At present time we still need to look at Adobe for Flash support on our favorite devices.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:
I think ffmpeg has implementation of all the codecs. It probably also has an implementation of all the codecs Silverlight uses..

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
N900 is shown on video playing flash 10.1 by Adobe
But when I start a thread on Adobe asking where is our beta to test I get finger pointing at Nokia by someone responding on the thread and none of you backing me up asking where is the beta.
http://forums.adobe.com/community/labs/flashplayer10/

Tags
adobe, adobe flash, blahblah, flash, flash 10, flash 10.1, fremantle, future, idiotic thread, maemo, maemo 5, nokia, nokia fails, update