Notices

hopefully we'll see this app in extras

Originally Posted by rmerren View Post
Whatever permissions you deny, will cause facebook to stop sending that information. For example, if you deny the user_checkins permission, then facebook will not tell the app about any checkins you have. If every third post in your statuses is a checkin, they simply won't be returned in a query. In general, denying the user_* permissions just makes that type of object not be returned in a query.

The pubish_* permissions are, as expected, the ability of the app to publish that type of object on your behalf. If you deny the publish_checkins permission and never try to do a checkin, you will not notice the difference. If you do try to publish a checkin without the permission, you should get an error that (I think) the app will show to you. (I am only slightly uncertain because I do check the returned info for these types of errors, but facebook doesn't really give great error messages for everything.)

In any case, you can deny the permission for either reading or writing checkins and the app will work fine. Feel free to try it...you are certainly thinking of things that I didn't consider, you won't break anything by trying, and I (and I'm sure others here) will appreciate hearing the results of your testing.

Also: if you are interested in seeing what the backend does with your permissions, you can check out the source code at Gitorious. It is always stressful to cede permissions on facebook because you don't know what will be done with your data. But the great thing about open source (and platforms like Maemo that encourage it) is that even if you can't read the source code yourself you can be reasonably assured that someone else would spot nefarious code.

what was today's update which we got on N900.
When does the N900 icon comes with this App.

Thanks Developer for all ur effort

Hi, nice application, but I found out today it does not handle well my localization. I am Czech, we have some funny characters like ěščřžýáíéú - using ˇ - hacek/caron and ´ - acute accent. Effing handles these fine, but there is also special characet "ů" - which Effing handles as "ú". I have the character straight on my keyboard. It is not that grave since the language is well understandable even without these special characters, but it would be nice if it worked.

I will be happy to provide any other information (or should I file a bug?).

Please Please We need n900 ICON !!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rohanhole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
Originally Posted by sup View Post
Hi, nice application, but I found out today it does not handle well my localization. I am Czech, we have some funny characters like ěščřžýáíéú - using ˇ - hacek/caron and ´ - acute accent. Effing handles these fine, but there is also special characet "ů" - which Effing handles as "ú". I have the character straight on my keyboard. It is not that grave since the language is well understandable even without these special characters, but it would be nice if it worked.

I will be happy to provide any other information (or should I file a bug?).
If it were any other nationality, I would tell you to buzz off, but since Prague has the coolest town clock in Europe, I will check it out.

I had problems with international characters early on, but that was an issue of encoding the text for sending it to facebook via http post. So a few questions for you:
  • When you type these characters into the app, do you see them onscreen properly as you type them?
  • When you use these characters directly in Facebook, do they work properly?
  • Does a status entered on Facebook that shows up properly on facebook show up properly in the current statuses list of the N900 app?
  • Can you identify the specific unicode values of these characters? Look at this page to help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unicode_characters

The last is the most important...if you can give me the character values that work and don't work I can do some testing directly.

There are lots of possibilities for where this encoding is going wrong, so if I can isolate the layer where this is happening (in QML, QML to C++ transfer, QT C++ code, encoding for HTTP transport, HTTP Transport, in Facebook, when viewed in facebook, when rendered in the upper box in QML, etc.) I can better figure out how to resolve it.

Originally Posted by rohanhole View Post
Please Please We need n900 ICON !!!
Holy crap! This is very important to people!

I am working on some refactoring and of the app to facilitate some potential new features, but I would like to get you a nice picture for facebook. I will try to do squeeze in some gimping to get a picture done.

I want to get the current round of coding done to promote it for extras-testing, so I will include the N900 image in that work.

I think I will do the picture as N900 in landscape mode...let the hate mail begin for that choice!

Originally Posted by rmerren View Post
If it were any other nationality, I would tell you to buzz off, but since Prague has the coolest town clock in Europe, I will check it out.

I had problems with international characters early on, but that was an issue of encoding the text for sending it to facebook via http post. So a few questions for you:
  • [1]When you type these characters into the app, do you see them onscreen properly as you type them?
    [2]When you use these characters directly in Facebook, do they work properly?
    [3]Does a status entered on Facebook that shows up properly on facebook show up properly in the current statuses list of the N900 app?
    [4]Can you identify the specific unicode values of these characters? Look at this page to help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unicode_characters

The last is the most important...if you can give me the character values that work and don't work I can do some testing directly.

There are lots of possibilities for where this encoding is going wrong, so if I can isolate the layer where this is happening (in QML, QML to C++ transfer, QT C++ code, encoding for HTTP transport, HTTP Transport, in Facebook, when viewed in facebook, when rendered in the upper box in QML, etc.) I can better figure out how to resolve it.
Heh, kudos to Orloj I guess :-) .

[1] No.
[2] No if you mean the statuses submitted via Effing. It of course works from about any PC browser.
[3] Yes. (i.e. I entered "ů" through a PC browser and it shows correctly in effing)
[4] As far as Czech is concerned, only U+016F (ů) does not work. Strangely enough, its capital version U+016E (Ů) works.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 663 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australia (Melbourne/vic) / Lebanon (Zgharta/north)
is this app awesome or what, fastest updating status way i know, yes i know it could be faster (via an effing widget ?? ) .
just a question, whats the future of this app ? is there any new features ? don't get me wrong it does what its suppose to do great (position doesn't work with me maybe becasue my country isn't supported) .

Originally Posted by elie-7 View Post
is this app awesome or what, fastest updating status way i know, yes i know it could be faster (via an effing widget ?? ) .
just a question, whats the future of this app ? is there any new features ? don't get me wrong it does what its suppose to do great (position doesn't work with me maybe becasue my country isn't supported) .
Thanks...the original problem I was solving is that it took to long to go from homescreen to status post. Given my advanced years (or, more accurately, my high mileage), I could barey remember what I wanted to write by the time the web page finished rendering.

I think the places functionality is only available in the US and UK (a Facebook limitation). So currently limited to about a dozen N900 users.

I am currently improving some internal stuff...switching the main screen from a flickabbe Text area to a listview. From this I plan to add the ability to double-click through to the item in the browser. I had not planned on turning it into a generic FB browsing app because I want to keep it lightweight and fast, and I dont want to hold up development keeping up with tons of FB feature changes and minor browsing uses. And I think small, targeted apps are better here than monolithic beasties.

I am thinking about a separate homescreen widget, but I want to stick to Qt and QML and shy away from Maemo specific implementations. But I do have some ideas on reconciling that which I hope to flesh out...

In any case, development is active and ongoing, and I hope to promote to testing soon.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rmerren For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
this is blazing fast!!! i dont know what else this app may improve but hopefully this gets even better!

EDIT: as elie-7 mentioned, hopefully a widget will be available.

Thanks

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

The Following User Says Thank You to gabby131 For This Useful Post: