Active Topics

Poll: Which one???!@
Poll Options
Which one???!@

Closed Thread
Posts: 120 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Brisbane, Australia.
Originally Posted by wheatbisc View Post
I made the jump to android with optimus 2x. It's a great phone, nice hardware, and a very good screen. With that being said, I still haven't sold my N900 yet, and no plans on doing so. After using android for a while, I now understand the meaning of Maemo being so open and free! I feel locked and "handicapped" with Android. Ok UI flow is better, but you don't know what's going around, services, and foreground apps and background apps, 3g is on, 3g is off. It's like iOS where UI turned to AI! But that's just my opinion of the OS until now :P
oh and btw, optimus gets freaking hot like some HP laptop on heavy usage :/
Thanks for your perspective, I guess some may like that open and free feel with their phones but personally it doesn't bother me as much. It'll be nice to have a bit but the n900 is limitless and I don't need that. And don't get me started on HP haha it was the reason why I switched to Apple

Originally Posted by RenaldoTT View Post
This is a classic case of ignorance, I see it all the time in American movies, hey, that dude is cool because he plays Female Ruggby, I have to be cool as well, because Chess is worthless to my life even though many great leaders played it. Yes! Oh no, I'm not parallised, I should of stuck to Chess. Sigh. Don't do things because of what people would think, in my country almost EVERYBODY has a Blackberry and from a technological stand point those devices, SUCK but just because they can get internet and I can't because there are no data plans provided, they believe their devices are BETTER LOL TELL THAT TO MY 500GIG EXTERNAL !
Don't think anyone could have said that any better

get the Motorola Atrix 4G? And if you don't want the N900 send it to me, I will pay delivery charges lol

Just can't get the gist of this thread.
But what I can add is, go get your Android and sell your N900 to someone else who has the aptitude to get the best out of it and enjoy it.
Then come back asking us how to stop the Google ad machine spamming you to death and eating away your data allowance.
Because that's the future roadmap for Android. They've been giving the OS away to manufacturers since day one, that's why they all use it.
They want something for it now and filling it with ads is the only way they can do it.

The Following User Says Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by stickymick View Post
But what I can add is, go get your Android and sell your N900 to someone else who has the aptitude to get the best out of it and enjoy it.
Then come back asking us how to stop the Google ad machine spamming you to death and eating away your data allowance.
Because that's the future roadmap for Android. They've been giving the OS away to manufacturers since day one, that's why they all use it.
They want something for it now and filling it with ads is the only way they can do it.
I have a 1.5Gb data allowance per month, I think i'll be fine. And no not really, Everyone has in my household has an Android phone and they don't seem to be complaining about ads?

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
I got a HTC Desire HD. While I am keeping my n900 for nostalgic reasons, the HTC is my main phone now.

There are a LOT of things that are nicer in Anfroid, user friendlieness, UI flow, etc. I am not sure I miss any of the advantages of Maemo yet, and I am not sure they are worth it anyway. I think Android is a pretty decent platform for mobiles, and maybe Maemo was aiming too high and never got to the same user friendlieness. This is just my opinion, as a strictly non-fanboy IT person.

Note: I did use my n900 extensively, and also developed apps for it.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by stickymick View Post
Not sure how aptitude fits into the grand scheme of things. No matter what level of aptitude you have, you can't get (for example) Adobe Flash Player 10.2 on your N900 device within Maemo natively. Sure, Flash Tweak exists, but it's far too reliant on people not using the actual 10.x exclusive coding capabilities - like stageVideo for instance.

If you mean aptitude to use it, that's a very low bar of aptitude necessary. If you mean to do stuff like SSH and other stuff... again, that's not too taxing. If you mean overclocking the 600mhz processor to about 1100mhz or so, again... not that high of a level of aptitude required. But if you mean that you have to have some level of aptitude to avoid the issues with when the phone rings, you pick it up and it sometimes hesitates because it's rotating the UI or that you're still using Adobe Flash 9.4 or you have to install EasyDebian (and then OpenOffice) in order to have half a chance to edit any kind of office document, be it a *.doc or *.xls and the such... then again... not exactly that much aptitude is necessary - there's plenty of guides and advice in these forums.

So what do you mean exactly by aptitude? It is not clear what you mean.

I edited my HOSTS file. No ads for me. And in one month, I use less bandwidth on Android than I did with my N900. And I do so in true 3G, not EDGE since I'm in an area that has very horrible T-Mobile 3G access but great AT&T 3G access. Could extra aptitude get me better 3G that way too?

I'm jesting... of course it cannot.

At least it has a future. Maemo is halfway dead, MeeGo is dead to Nokia for the most part. Continued development will probably bring a Nokia N950 that's half-MeeGo and wholly unsupported.

What a future indeed.

Edit your HOSTS file. Kills ads dead.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
I got a HTC Desire HD. While I am keeping my n900 for nostalgic reasons, the HTC is my main phone now.

There are a LOT of things that are nicer in Anfroid, user friendlieness, UI flow, etc. I am not sure I miss any of the advantages of Maemo yet, and I am not sure they are worth it anyway. I think Android is a pretty decent platform for mobiles, and maybe Maemo was aiming too high and never got to the same user friendlieness. This is just my opinion, as a strictly non-fanboy IT person.

Note: I did use my n900 extensively, and also developed apps for it.
My Brother is thinking about getting the Desire HD because his Galaxy S laggs worse than my N900, do you have that same problem? He runs like 3 apps max at any time and it still laggs even if it's not trying to find a 3G connection.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by ASIAN View Post
My Brother is thinking about getting the Desire HD because his Galaxy S laggs worse than my N900, do you have that same problem? He runs like 3 apps max at any time and it still laggs even if it's not trying to find a 3G connection.
If your Samsung Galaxy S lags, I'd truly suggest that you look to XDA-Developers and get one of the custom firmware/ROMS that support Voodoo lagfix or EXT4 file system.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the advice, I'll pass it on to my impatient brother.

Closed Thread

Tags
apt-get android, fanboy denial, hi i'm a douche, humor required, look at me!, mm peter, poor lil rich, thx 4 the fish, troll alert