Active Topics

Originally Posted by sophocha View Post
One word...no! I have my phone at 500-1000 for the past 2 years.
If you are scared that you are gonna burn your phone install 'savecpu'.When the phone overheats it lowers your overclock speed....simple as that
I know it was said zillion of times, and I should ignore post (and posters) like that, but, for the sake of record...

D-o-n-t a-d-v-o-c-a-t-e b-u-l-l-s-h-i-t like saveCPU as *any* mean of protecting CPU. Our SoC [big-red-flashing-exploding-whatsnot-letters]doesn't have a temperature sensor[/bigetc].

So, only one thing, that saveCPU or other similar stuff check, is *battery* temperature sensor (precisely, BMI temperature sensor). Which is completely irrelevant to CPU temperature - You can literally fry CPU on gas oven, while battery sensor not going higher than 30 Celsius degrees for quite a time.

---

Other for some posts that make me to do facepalm festival (for some reason, they grouped on last page), I totally agree that this thread was very educational. It's funny, cause on 8 pages, there was put much more useful info, than on 300+ pages "main" overclocking thread.

I think it should be made into wiki article, cause current wiki things about overclocking are terrible wrong at some matters (or at least link to terrible wrong assumptions - I'm basically looking @ some wiki articles/threads by jakiman - no offense - but I don't remember if it was inside wiki or just linked).

I'm quite busy ATM, but if no one get hands dirty before, I'll certainly summarize it in wiki, then ask freemangordon and other for audit. As always, when You need to summarize something You don't understand 100% - better safe than wrong
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2011-10-26 at 19:47.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Correct.

OMAP3 does not have an accessible thermometer inside the CPU core.
So there is no way to tell how hot our N900 CPU is via some API.
Only one we have access to is the battery temperature as mentioned.,
So these apps which rely on that is unreliable and just plain WRONG.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
when i install savecpu my batterygraph shows cpu always have bar

Originally Posted by sophocha View Post
One word...no! I have my phone at 500-1000 for the past 2 years.
If you are scared that you are gonna burn your phone install 'savecpu'.When the phone overheats it lowers your overclock speed....simple as that
did your phone default at that freq? or you just set that because of games or doing something..?? because mine is defualt at 500-900 even if i am txting only or using media..but on idle it loads underclock at 500-250.. i dont think this will harm to cpu

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Amsterdam
Hmm in the last hour my CPU was stuck at 900 MHz and turned quite hot unfortunately (NB: USB was connected). Conky indicates 'browserd' consuming 90% of CPU. Then i remembered previously starting the stock browser by clicking on a link in an email and closing the browser. Apparently the browserdaemon continued in the background for some reason. By starting and closing the browser again, the process was killed and situation back to normal: 250 MHz. I use kernel power48 and qCPUfreq

Nice story, but what's the point?
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

I'm using it at 250-500-1000 for 6 months and I didn't see any bad effect .

Originally Posted by Dragoss91 View Post
I'm using it at 250-500-1000 for 6 months and I didn't see any bad effect .
1000-500 is your overcloked? your phone does not become hot at that freq?

Originally Posted by Masoi View Post
1000-500 is your overcloked? your phone does not become hot at that freq?
I got mine fixed at 1000, yeah it does get warm..

Originally Posted by tim_de_wolf View Post
I got mine fixed at 1000, yeah it does get warm..
i see.. what about the battery? it drain faster?