Posts: 277 | Thanked: 546 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city
Originally Posted by vistaus View Post
What the ...? Weaker sections will buy cheap Android phones? I'm pretty sure the sales expectation for that $25 FF OS phone soon to be launched in India is pretty good. So they won't go for Android but for FF OS.
i want to say something . i live in a place where people don't know about paypal, linux, even tupac , they are dummies and believe me they want every dam* popular app in their phone , most of the people in my hood belong to weaker section but they are switching away from cheaper droids and everyone is moving to shamsung even they get less than 100 dollars a month. so ff os and jolla doesnot stand a chance. things will be difficult for jolla in India.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by hardy_magnus View Post
i want to say something . i live in a place where people don't know about paypal, linux, even tupac,
Okay, so what do they usually smoke then?
(I just had to say it )

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
i want to say something . i live in a place where people don't know about paypal, linux, even tupac , they are dummies and believe me they want every dam* popular app in their phone , most of the people in my hood belong to weaker section but they are switching away from cheaper droids and everyone is moving to shamsung even they get less than 100 dollars a month. so ff os and jolla doesnot stand a chance. things will be difficult for jolla in India.
So basically you say they are going through huge effort to get a Shamsung for it being the more famous brand and they will just see the Jolla as another one of the cheaper droids?

I suppose buying a Shamsung entitles the customer to local software support such as rooting and installation of every available popular app on day of purchase?

Just trying to understand conditions in the area you describe.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
i want to say something . i live in a place where people don't know about paypal, linux, even tupac , they are dummies [...]
Well, I am a dummy too as I didn't know about tupac either. (I've just looked it up and, frankly, I don't think I've been missing too much.)

Back on the topic, what is the point of all this deliberating? Of course Jolla cannot expect to compete with the likes of Samsung. Of course they cannot expect to sell millions of units. But they do not have to. All they need to do is sell just 20k. A drop in the ocean in such a huge market but it would double their worldwide sales figures.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Well, I am a dummy too as I didn't know about tupac either. (I've just looked it up and, frankly, I don't think I've been missing too much.)

Back on the topic, what is the point of all this deliberating? Of course Jolla cannot expect to compete with the likes of Samsung. Of course they cannot expect to sell millions of units. But they do not have to. All they need to do is sell just 20k. A drop in the ocean in such a huge market but it would double their worldwide sales figures.
Agree and I am most interested to see what means all "the most popular apps on Shamsung " and when Jolla will be at the same level in terms of offering same or better user experience not community feeling "look I have same as you" .

As far as I am concerned, from a user viewpoint, I have never seen any benefit from having to weed through 200k rubbish applications to find those 5 to 10 I actually use on daily basis and the other 10 including games that I would eventually use from time to time.

PS looked it up tupac -> Tobacco Use Prevention and Control (TUPAC) : too much smoking and Android can be bad for your health

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
Dude, that FF OS phone is $25. I'm pretty sure no one is gonna refuse that offer unless they really need a specific Android app. That's why sales figures are estimated to be high for that $25 phone.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Of course they cannot compete with Samsung's sales. Question is: who can? AFAIK Apple is the only one who sells just as much.
Jolla just needs to sell enough to have marketshare and a name that sticks around. Not that everyone will know about Jolla then, but more in the sense of that regular media will mention Jolla more often. You know, that you open up The Verge or just a tech site from your country and that every now and then you see the name of Jolla pass. Just like with most other brands.

Last edited by vistaus; 2014-09-24 at 09:30.

Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I thought that Google no longer owns Motorola.
What does that matter? I was referring to Motorola not being Motorola anymore ever since Google came into their life (Google, not Android). Who currently owns it is besides that point.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by vistaus View Post
Not that everyone will know about Jolla then, but more in the sense of that regular media will mention Jolla more often. You know, that you open up The Verge or just a tech site from your country and that every now and then you see the name of Jolla pass. Just like with most other brands.
Like with this link that @dave999 posted, which I think is mildly positive about Jolla entering the Indian market:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/t...w/43248471.cms

Now I do not know if this "Times Of India" is widely known/quoted media in India, but if it is then Jolla/SFOS has already gained some brand visibility there.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 160 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Spain
So, it comes with "some preloaded Android apps"? Sigh... I thought the customer was entitled with choice of stuff they want upon the first startup. Oh, Jolla, you strand yourself into unknown!

Boy, what can I say? EPIC......No, LEGENDARY......

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xanderx For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xanderx View Post
So, it comes with "some preloaded Android apps"? Sigh... I thought the customer was entitled with choice of stuff they want upon the first startup. Oh, Jolla, you strand yourself into unknown!
Yes, I kind of wondered at that, too. I suppose that's part of the snapdeal thing, since it includes "snapdeal apps" whatever they be. Could be it is some kind of subsidiry plan, snapdeal carries part of the device cost or something.

Probably it is easy to uninstall those as well as the android application compability layer which is excess anyway IMHO.
(I never installed it on my Jolla )