Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
The Lock screen experience

This shows a background based on you ambience.
You can use your own background by choosing a picture and turning it into an ambience.
Double taping brings the screen to life, as does the side power key.
There is no low power display option.
The home screen shows icons for events(notifications).
You must swipe up from outside the screen to get to the events screen for more information.
The clock is displayed along with Internet status and Bluetooth showing as icons to the left of the clock.
To get more information, such as battery and 3G connectivity you have to pull the screen up.
This IS a major annoyance, to check your battery state you need to double tap and then pull the screen up a bit, but not too much or you get to the multi task screen! IMHO the battery and Phone connectivity should be to the right of the clock so they can be seen at a glance.
Top of the lock screen shows the Phone Network Name.
Swipe from the outside down and the phone goes into sleep.
Swipe down from within the screen and the pulley menu shows:-
Date (not selectable)
Silence/enable sounds
Phone
Camera
Settings
Then a blank line(not selectable)
Leave the front screen and it turns off in 5 secs
Scroll down to one of the other screens and the display times out according to the setting display sleep timeout(why the difference?)
Swipe from outside the screen to the centre and you get to choose your ambience. However only Ambiences that have a favourite star filled will show.
If you only have one ambience favourite it will not show and the screen swipe will not work.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
Swipe from outside the screen to the centre and you get to choose your ambience. However only Ambiences that have a favourite star filled will show.
If you only have one ambience favourite it will not show and the screen swipe will not work.
So this is how you change "profiles", which was kind of hard coded in the N9. I wonder if you can customise each ambiance (e.g., ringtone, volume).
Not sure why only favourites, perhaps it's catered for people who have tens of ambiances, or maybe the ambiances get saved with every other half?

Thanks for these reviews by the way!

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
So this is how you change "profiles", which was kind of hard coded in the N9. I wonder if you can customise each ambiance (e.g., ringtone, volume).
Customisation is possible. Right now, it's just the ringtone volume.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Clicking on the avatar you can
Select another from gallery (phone memory only, not SD card)
Remove avatar
If you have multiple avatars from different sources (like local, GTalk, ...) you can set here also which of those to use.

Contacts option in the settings, app menu
Change to show last name first
Change to sort by last name
Import contacts from sim car
Import Contacts from File
Import from File doesn't show you the file name so if you have multiple .vcf files on phone's storage or on microSD card, you cannot tell which file is which. You only have long list of identical "From file" lines, one for each file.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
Not sure why only favourites, perhaps it's catered for people who have tens of ambiances, or maybe the ambiances get saved with every other half?
There is already 9 ambiances out-of-box and if you have the special limited edition poppy red other half then you have one more, so total of ten.

The Following User Says Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
Posts: 59 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
This seems to apply for pre-installed Ambiances (as well as those installed by TOH's).

However if you create a new Ambiance from a picture, you can customize for that in addition to volume also all the sounds for different events.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jpel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by att View Post
There is already 9 ambiances out-of-box and if you have the special limited edition poppy red other half then you have one more, so total of ten.
My thoughts exactly - I'd need 2: too loud and keep-your-mouth-shut silent. My better half would need about 50, some of which would be in "dev", others in "staging" and the favourite ones will be the ones in production that she'll use all the time. I like the fact that the feature caters for a wide range of people :-)

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on May 2013 @ Malaysia
They show but don't animate
Awh man, i love gifs, i was so upset when i found out that my N9 couldn't animate them, was hoping Sailfish would change this. Sigh...

Originally Posted by w00t View Post
Do you plan to have parameters like Bluetooth, WiFi, GSM, triggering other things (like VPN) connected to the ambience? I know, with every new device I start again with these meta-profile discussions...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cy8aer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 645 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ad29 View Post
Awh man, i love gifs, i was so upset when i found out that my N9 couldn't animate them, was hoping Sailfish would change this. Sigh...
You can open them in Opera or Firefox browser in N9.
Just type / to addressbar.
I think theres way to change Opera to default when opening gifts.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mikkosssss For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience