Active Topics

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Well how is it an excuse? We don't know that yet....
For all we know it may be coming in PR1.1 or 1.2 similar to N900.
I dont see how it solidifies anything, its just an alternative until/if support comes.
Well, how is it a reason? We DO know that the version for the N900, which was apparently working fine and ran in Maemo 5, no longer has several particularly attractive and important features that no longer exist in Maemo 6. Why would they be able to port an application from Maemo 5 in part but still missing simple things like video and voicemail functions? Did they have to rewrite it from scratch? Given the diving interest in Nokia all-around, I don't see how ANYTHING solidifies any indication of video coming in a future version, not that there's any indication that there won't--but therein lies the issue: Why is there even a factor of uncertainty? They kept saying the same thing when Skype came out on the Nokia N8x0 devices but we never ended up getting video at all. Skype probably gave Maemo a second chance with the N900, but I doubt that writing then rewriting is going to entice very many commercial third party entities to your platform. Nokia has, yet again, mismanaged the hell out of this and it shows through things like this--which, if Nokia had been smart, they should have prevented by making sure to work with Skype to bring that sort of killer functionality to their software before release. Instead they concentrated on Windows Phone 7 and AEGIS and other garbage consumers never wanted.

You were making the assertion that no apps from Maemo5 will run on Maemo6.
Unlike what is the case for older iterations of iOS or Android.
It certainly seems like at least some from Maemo5 will.
That's the only point I was making...
I'm not trying to argue backwards compatibility is way better, far from it.
We know the reasons why that is most probably not the case.
I didn't assert it--I'm asking why they don't appear to be easily porting over. It was a question. SOME easily ported isn't the same as being GENERALLY easy to port. I'm talking about libraries and API calls, not even binary compatibility. You would THINK that that WOULD be important on a POSIX based system, wouldn't you?

Good point, I forgot to mention that.
Do you know what the specific issues are that these 'some' have?
For the Pentile matrix displays? Yeah--look back a few posts.. I just finished mentioning some. Here, I'll quote my post for you:

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Crap. A lot of people with Android Bionic (which uses pentile AMOLED too) are complaining (not overly.. but still..) about the pentile tendency to make the screen wonky whenever you look at it while it's moving, whenever you scroll small things around on the screen and also has problems with clarity of small text, especially white text on black and there's some kind of problem with color gradients--like it blocks certain shades.

Does the N9 exhibit any of that? Of all the nitpicking complaints I've read on here, I don't think that anybody's mentioned any of that so far.

Apparently, pentile displays are cheaper to produce and possibly better on battery life at the cost of some visual weirdness like the stuff mentioned above but then not all pentile displays are the same with the same problems.

Anyway, as reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PenTile_matrix_family
I thought I'd summed it up pretty well, but If you really wanted to you could, say, SEARCH for said complaints if you're really interested.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Last edited by danramos; 2011-10-11 at 01:52.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Shocker! Microsoft to produce dual-core, LTE Windows Phones, other modern things
http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/10/s...ws-phones-oth/
Details on the Samsung Galaxy S III leak out: 1.8GHz dual-core CPU and 12MP camera?
http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/10/d...z-dual-core-c/
BlackBerry Tag: touch-to-share for... multimedia?
http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/10/b...or-multimedia/
Sounds like what Nok's doing for PR1.1...

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Two questions:
For those of you from the US who ordered the N9 from the Denmark Ebayer... how do you track the package in the US? I'm wondering when it will come in.

The second question is regarding Mango. Might we be able to partition the HD to install Mango on the N9?

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by phatman2600 View Post
The second question is regarding Mango. Might we be able to partition the HD to install Mango on the N9?
Hahahaha!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Hahahaha!
How so? I'm not expecting this. I'm sorry that I can afford to buy stuff.

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by awex View Post
Second problem was the usb port's cover, it looked just cheap. I've never had problems with dust so I would prefer just an open port. I presume it also needs to be opened and closed a lot to charge the battery, but it doesn't look like a durable piece. Hopefully Nokia has engineered it so that it is better than what it looks like.
Here is my shot of how the flap looks like if you pull it out.
You can yank it out, then pop it back on. Bit fiddly but works.

http://i.imgur.com/bAZMc.jpg

You can permanently take it off but then the top of N9 doesn't look very nice. =P

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hotnikkelz View Post
The Titan looks monstrous geez it's a big phone. Am I the only one that likes super LCD though? everyone is into amoled stuff. I mean the black levels are really really nice on amoled though.

@mikecomputing
clearly nothing...

@jalyst
thumbs up
We'll see what happens in the future. Everything points to the n9 not being as desirable as it once was 2 months ago though.

Does the resolution bump to say 960x540 make a significant bump in the quality? I've only seen the iphone 4, but that screen is already too small that i didn't are bout the res in the first place. The galax s 2 screne is phenomenal, best I've ever seen personally, i was shocked that the res was 800x480. It may be sufficient for most I guess.
amoled screen black ISNT BLACK,

its zero, the pixel its completely off.

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Two questions:
For those of you from the US who ordered the N9 from the Denmark Ebayer... how do you track the package in the US? I'm wondering when it will come in.

You go to your ebay email and get the tracking number and then go to the Usps website and paste the number into the tracking page.
Today is columbus day so there is no use in tracking it today or yesterday (sunday). Maybe tomorrow evening it will pop up as arrived in US, maybe.

Last edited by aironeous; 2011-10-11 at 04:45.

The Following User Says Thank You to aironeous For This Useful Post:
Is your order also in the "Origin Post is Preparing Shipment" phase? I wonder when they will arrive!

Is your order also in the "Origin Post is Preparing Shipment" phase? I wonder when they will arrive!
Did you already look on the post.dk website tracking, if it is already sent to the US by them?

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????