Notices

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
I got strange issues with backupmenu root console, lately. when I enable it, I see everything correctly and I'm able to type 'root' as login, but as soon as i hit enter, I'm throw back to backupmenu (just like after exiting with exit - I see half-backupmenu + console output of keys pressed). I can try again (or use other backupmenu options), but it doesn't help. 100% reproduceable, on kp48 and kernel-bfs7
It's the same here. Happens w/ kp48 and 49. That's why i have to use USB networking w/ sshd.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
I get with 1.1 the following errors on startup:

Error with: cp /lib/libacl.so.1 /tmp/disk/lib code: 1
cp: cannot stat '/lib/libacl.so.1': No such file or directory

Error with: cp /lib/libattr.so.1.1.0 /tmp/disk/lib/ Code: 1
cp: cannot stat '/lib/libattr.so.1.1.0': No such file or directory
Press any key to continue...
The app itself seems to work fine though.

P.S: Is it also possible to make a backup of the full memory, not only optfs and rootfs? I see that myDocs is for example missing.

Last edited by Crogge; 2011-10-12 at 16:18.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Crogge View Post
P.S: Is it also possible to make a backup of the full memory, not only optfs and rootfs? I see that myDocs is for example missing.
MyDocs can easily be backed up without having to use BackupMenu (either from a desktop/laptop or just via tar/cp from X Terminal), so there's little point in adding it. It's also up to 27G in size, so could take a very long time and require an empty 32G SD card to fit it all.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ germany
I formatted my sd drive using the ext2 file system - would it be possible to add support for backing things up to ext2?

Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
Originally Posted by mykey View Post
I formatted my sd drive using the ext2 file system - would it be possible to add support for backing things up to ext2?
Its easy for now you can hack the support yourself. To do this you will need to edit the file: /usr/share/backupmenu/BackupMenu.item. I personally use vim and the command would be something like this (as root):
Code:
vim /usr/share/backupmenu/BackupMenu.item
You then need to search for the words vfat and sd. The words vfat is for the filesystem used on both /home/user/MyDocs as well as on microSD usually but sd because your target is on microsd card. So lines like:
Code:
mount -t vfat $backup_SD_part_loc /tmp/mnt/sd
could be easily changed to:
Code:
mount -t ext2 $backup_SD_part_loc /tmp/mnt/sd
in your case.

Note that there should be 6 matching instances of vfat prior to manual hacking, every second matching instances refers to sd which is your microsd card entry that needs to be replaced to ext2 format.

Once your done, you save the file and reboot with keyboard out. You should then be able to backup/restore from your ext2 formatted microSD.

(edit) I have done something similar to this whereby I changed every first instance (instead of every second instance) to ext3 because I have converted my /home/user/MyDocs to ext3 and it does work.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tuxsavvy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ germany
@ tuxsavvy

oh that worked nicely - thanx a lot for the instructions !

Posts: 359 | Thanked: 162 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Budapest
I get this error when backing up:

Errors: 1 Last: gtar: ./user/.gpe-calendar-rendezvous: socket ignored

It doesn't like something in that directory, but what?

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by noetus View Post
I get this error when backing up:

Errors: 1 Last: gtar: ./user/.gpe-calendar-rendezvous: socket ignored

It doesn't like something in that directory, but what?
The socket. It can't back up sockets as they're not real files. You can ignore the error though - the socket will be recreated by the app when it's run anyway.

For detail - client/server applications generally work via sockets. Nowadays, most of them use network sockets - the server listens on a port (via localhost if it's a local application, or via all ports if it supports remote clients) and the client connects to that port. UNIX sockets work in the same way except the server creates a socket "file" which it listens on, and the client opens the "file" to connect to the server. It isn't a real file, but it provides a simple way for the server & client to connect. Because it's not a real file, it can't be backed up. Normally these sockets are created when the server is running, and removed when it stops, so either the GPE calendar server is running in the background while you're backing up, or it doesn't destroy the socket properly when closing down.

Last edited by Rob1n; 2011-10-21 at 07:50.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Damn, this tool leaves my device onbootable after restore

when starting the tool

Code:
 UDev started
Error with: cp /lib/libacl.so.1 /tmpdisk/lib Code: 1
cp: cannot stat cp /lib/libacl.so.1 no such file or directory
Press any key to cont.
Error with cp /lib/libattr.so.1.1.0
no such file or dir
Backupmenu loaded ...

Last edited by rooz; 2011-10-22 at 20:21.

It isn't related to You *ekhm* problem report - point 2 and 3 was mentioned so many times in this thread, that I'm going to leave pleasure of finding it to You.

IF device is unbootable after restore, either:

1) You've did something during backup process, that made backup corrupted, and you've ignored warnings, by restoring such existent, but wrong backup

2) You're trying to restore rootfs+optfs backup made with some custom kernel, on device with stock kernel

3) Everything is ok, and You're just booting it up with keyboard open.

To be honest, personally, I bid for the 3th.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Tags
backup, backupmenu, cssusupplement, max(useful), rescue-console, restore, system