Active Topics

I read on a Blog Review that Nokia n800 will only support up to a 2 GB SD Card. Then this week I read that the n800 will indeed recognize a 4 GB SD Card.

Would someone clear up this matter. I would not want to purchase a 4 GB Card if it will not work on the Nokia n800.

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Ottawa, Canada
Apparently the N800 only supports formatting cards up to 2gb in size, but you can format larger cards in a PC card reader/writer and then use them in the N800. Not sure what the maximum above that is, but there is an item on the Maemo roadmap that talks about adding SDHC support. SDHC defines cards up to 32gb in size (4gb-32gb).

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
Originally Posted by Mckoan1 View Post
I read on a Blog Review that Nokia n800 will only support up to a 2 GB SD Card. Then this week I read that the n800 will indeed recognize a 4 GB SD Card.

Would someone clear up this matter. I would not want to purchase a 4 GB Card if it will not work on the Nokia n800.

Thanks in advance!
Just make sure it's not a SDHC card and you're fine. There's a modified kernel that people can flash (easily) for the older version of the OS which supports SDHC. I used it until the newest version of the OS came out on last Friday (Mar 23), and as soon as they release the kernel sources we'll have support in this version of the OS. I have a 8GB SDHC that worked perfectly with the modified kernel.

Larry

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
4GB SD cards may or may not work - the SD spec doesn't specify 4GB cards, so they are out of spec. Some 4GB SD cards work, but some do not - this probably explains why Nokia only recommend 2GB as the max. Search this forum for "4GB" to find recommendations on SD cards.

Note that SDHC is the new high-capacity SD-card specification (4GB to 32GB) and SDHC cards do not currently work with the N800. However, the N800 only requires a software update to add SDHC support and this update will hopefully become available in the next week or so - I myself normally use 2x Transcend 8GB SDHC cards in my N800.

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Ottawa, Canada