Active Topics

Originally Posted by Larswad View Post
...But, I for one like being able to, for instance ssh into my server, starting an application with x11 forwarding, do some video encoding while still be able listening to music, checking mail and make a phone call at the same time.
Please try doing that with a regular phone from the fruit company or a droid, I'd like to see that...
I like the cut of your gib!

Often at work I am SSHd into my n900 doing computer type stuff WHILE using it as a music player and taking calls.

Hell, sometimes I am SSHd into my phone, SSHd into my server, SSHd into my router at home!

The Following User Says Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by lma View Post
You know, most of the above also applies to Fremantle ;-) The underlying OS is more than capable, but the brilliant "UX designers" typically castrate it.
Yes, you are totally right, and it is one of my complains in Harmattan. This is the reason I think that webOS has actually better multitasking, because their UX designers thought it out a little bit more.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
What's on the first post looks more like gadgets than multitasking to me -- like old world Macs. You still need to code the floating "widgets" separately ; they cannot be normal applications. So exactly like DAs in old PalmOS.

In fact, both Android and iOS can do something better which is to run actual applications in windows:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db2UbDEgzEA

But you are still limited to the usual design limitations of a mostly monotasking environment. You cannot open more than one window from the same application, so no composing of multiple emails, no multiple chat windows, no copying and pasting of word documents...

Garbage.
Nice video on youtube. You mention that both Andoid and iOS does this but the video is for iOS. Do you know of an equivalent app for Android?

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Nice video on youtube. You mention that both Andoid and iOS does this but the video is for iOS. Do you know of an equivalent app for Android?
Comes stock with e.g. the galaxy note 2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6c7XaDWmJg

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Comes stock with e.g. the galaxy note 2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6c7XaDWmJg
Well, I was hoping for something to run on my galaxy note 1...

In regards to multiple emails and such, with overskreen app you can open up multiple window for browsers to access emails. Also for copying and pasting with editor you can copy to clipboard which is saved so you can use in another document. Of the five apps shown in the first post you can open multiple windows with OverSkreen, hovernote, aircalc and stickit. There is another app called airterm which can make multiple floating terminals and I can use to ssh into ubuntu on my GN1). I just opened three of airterm, Overskreen, hovernote, and aircalc simultaneouly. So 12 open windows on my galaxy note screen. And, why not, fired up Angry Birds. My screen looks like a total mess! But I'm multitasking...

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ culpeper,va.
Please when you are on a call try to take a picture with the purpose of send it by mms and see what it say, I have sgs3 and it lag, crash and slow down of course do limited multitask, if you have a N9 do it you will be very surprise.

Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
Can Android phones do this simple thing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au1nF...&feature=g-upl

just one (out of many) good true multitasking example.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
Can Android phones do this simple thing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au1nF...&feature=g-upl

just one (out of many) good true multitasking example.
No, not in current state, but I don't miss it either if I want to play in minimize window I use my n900 I rather use multi view over this. That's why you should have several devices so you get the best of everything

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The RAM I just ordered for my laptop turned out to be incompatible. For support I used my n900 to start a live support chat in the browser. While I was on the chat I had to look up my order number in an email, and while I was doing that a work call came in (over SIP), that I had to answer. So I was on speakerphone, and copying information from my email into a live chat in the browser.

Honest question, can other smartphones do that? It seems like a fairly basic thing so I'd assume that Android and iPhone shouldn't have a problem with it, but I can also see the browser getting frozen in the background and losing the live chat connection.

The Following User Says Thank You to dylanemcgregor For This Useful Post:
I can do it on my phone, but I'm not sure about the iPhone. There was a time that you couldnt but that was when I had iOS 3 (?) on the i3G.

I'm flattered