Active Topics

Originally Posted by prk60091 View Post
the problem i have found with omweather is that it blows my battery life away (plus it obliterates the picture i have of my wife as my background image )
Do like this guy did. Him too.

Last edited by Benson; 2008-03-07 at 22:58.

Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
You could do that with om weather. Infact just add a new city and it updates on your desktop. Yeah eye candy is nice .....but ultimately functionality is what matters. Look at the razr; when it came out it was great looking and every second phone was a razr. But now motorola is almost gone. SO it is not all about eyecandy
Do you guys seriously think its all eye candy?

It is usability. You enjoy using it without heavy tweaking. An update means plugging into iTunes and not wiping your entire device. Your gmail account is setup instantly and works with IMAP with no questions asked. The maps client is responsive and intuitive, not sluggish and expensive (No setup required and it pulls from your contact addresses). The contacts and calendars sync. YouTube streams high quality h.264 streams, and it doesn't tear when you scroll.

The iPod part... well its awesome, and FAST. Sure the device isn't perfect, but whats there is awesome, fleshed out and responsive.

I really really (really) like the idea of the Nokia, its more computer like... but it doesn't deliver like a computer. It has the potential to be less of an accessory... but it just doesn't work out. Yet at least.

The Nokia can only live on its own, but its not ready to live on its own. The iPhone/iTouch lives with its parents, but it makes sense because your media, contacts, calendars are still more easily manipulated on your main computer.

The web is getting there, but its not ready to handle all your life yet. Rich local applications are still the best solution. It seems like Nokia threw their hands up and said, "why worry about it, there is a web version to handle PIM/Email..." all the while ignoring the fact that 800x480 still sucks if you want interact with large amounts of data on the web. It needs specially designed native apps to help you interact with your data on the web... like the iPhone.

This is interesting and on topic for a change
http://www.gottabemobile.com/It+Is+A...Apple+SDK.aspx

If you look at what Apple has planned for this summer it is clear this opening shot just wiped out the hopes of any mids or N9x's that might have been announced for Fall.. As Warner Crocker says "game over" for anything but niche linux markets in the smartphone and MID categories.

Originally Posted by wls View Post

If you look at what Apple has planned for this summer it is clear this opening shot just wiped out the hopes of any mids or N9x's that might have been announced for Fall.. As Warner Crocker says "game over" for anything but niche linux markets in the smartphone and MID categories.
It's clear to him, maybe, and to you as well. It's not clear to me. The iPhone shows no evidence yet of running desktop-like apps. No hardware keyboard available (not even BT), very limited resolution, and only a little better performance-wise than the N800 (a year old).

I think the N9xx's and Pandora should do quite decently, even if Apple completely cleans house in the overlap, because they target different, but overlapping, markets.

MIDs, well, not so sure on that... I never was too certain that MIDs would do well, we'll have to see when they come out.

But I think it's premature to claim "game over" at this point.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
apple makes things "just work" by having full control from the hardware on up. they have control ibm and microsoft could oonly dream about. hell, i wonder what kind of swweet insentives they presented youtube with to make them do the recode...

thats also why woz "walked out". jobs wanted the mac to be more or less a black box, while woz wanted to allow the customers to tinker.

Last edited by tso; 2008-03-07 at 23:43.

Originally Posted by wls View Post

That's just as off topic as every message in this thread. I just read through nine pages with the hopes of seeing a few comments actually about the Apple SDK.

I learned that the SDK is apparently amazing because it runs Spore and is awesome looking. Not exactly the info I was hoping for.

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
Originally Posted by jussik View Post
That's just as off topic as every message in this thread. I just read through nine pages with the hopes of seeing a few comments actually about the Apple SDK.

I learned that the SDK is apparently amazing because it runs Spore and is awesome looking. Not exactly the info I was hoping for.
OK.
The SDK is an extension of the existing XCode, and it just gives you a new type when you say new project. it gives you 3 defaults, simple, UI frame and basic list.
From there, coding is similar to programming for OSX was until garbage collection came in 10.5 (ie, no garbage collection). You basically get some new view classes.
When you hit run, you get a large iPhone like window, with a few applications (such as address book, safari) and the application you have just deployed, and the application runs on the iPhone simulator. The applications (or at least the examples) don't run on a real iPod at the moment, as they require 2.0, which isn't out yet (they sort of hang in various places on a real iPod). However, when you do plug an iPod in, it appears in a new window and asks if you want to use it as a deployment platform.

All in all it is very simple to set up and runs very smoothly. If you have a mac and any programming experience, I don't see you would have any problem being able to produce applications for the iPhone/iPod quickly. I would imagine that now, one day after launch, there are hundreds of applications taking form everywhere, and when OS 2.0 and iTunes apps starts, there is going to be a massive choice.

If there was a way to program for maemo that easily there would be a lot more quality applications for the nokias now.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tabletrat For This Useful Post:
I bought an iPod Touch and returned it. I thought the internet experience was aweful. The N810's is much better. My fingers to big for the keyboard on the touch and glitchy software from Apple.

The N810 is a much better device for many of my needs, but I do wish there was more polish to the OS, but it seems to be coming.

A new OS update sure would be nice.

Posts: 243 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ silicon valley
I was almost thinking of switching, but changed my mind because of the following wired article: http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/20...-delivers.html

I couldn't deal with only being able to run a single app at a time, palm wasn't even quite that bad. I might even consider developing for the iphone but I doubt it would be my primary device as I like having an UMPC instead of a cell phone.

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Denver, CO
a few things here. you suckers still believe apples crap. just like sony they take already tech and resell it at a premium. sure its really cool butt is it worth the price? iphone a d touch are so powerful and theres no micro sd slot or bt. lol thats because they sucker you into buying it then 6 months later release next model.

they have taken open source and sold it for 100$

omg i have heard it all.

they are like sony greedy.
sony ps3 so powerful and does noting and it got beat by the wii.
fact wii sells 7 units to ps3 1
wii sells 5 units to xbox360

wii also has no issues unlike ps3 and xbox

and do you know why its about software, price, long term game investment.

when wii gets old they will release version 2 and house both xbox360 and sony.

its all about what works not marketing. nokia has already teamed up with intel on the mit.

the nokia n800 has had 3 os's in just over 1 year. i got my money worth i hope you did too.

plus they added fm chip and going from 320cpu to 400.

lets see apple do that. suckers

one more note nokia sells tons of them outside the usa.