Active Topics

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Surely this reminder based on GPS location is similar to the Speed Camera alerts in Sat Nav programs. I wonder if a small program could be made for Maemo Mapper or Wayfinder to insert a custom POI into the database.

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Tallahassee, FL
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Too bad; you had me about to go buy one, whatever the price.
Heheh... other than being a "neat gadget", that was really the only true use I got out of it...

As I understand it though, the whole "soup" database everything is stored in permitted that app to readily be extended to handle data from other apps as well as the built-in address book, etc.
That's right. I wrote a program to sync data between the Newton calendar and Higgins (distributed intra-WAN/LAN email & scheduling "groupware" package in the pre-Windows [pre-GUI!!] era). There was a fellow in the Australian Tax Office that contacted me about getting a copy; he and I were the only ones that ever used it -- talk about niche programming!!

Of course, this is all vague recollection from reading writings of Newton fans online, and no Newton fans would ever exaggerate how great and extensible their toy was -- 10 years ago! -- would they?
Well, it had nowhere near the extensibility of our Nokia tablets -- but, it wasn't terrible, considering there was no such thing as wireless LAN or bluetooth, and the internet (such as it was) was limited to mostly military installations, research installations, 4-year colleges, and a [very] few corporations. It was a bit more than 10 years ago, though... closer to 15.

Guess I was reading stuff written ~5 years ago

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by slha89 View Post
I can wait for minutes, maybe in the rain, to acquire signals before went into my car.
If I don't wait, it takes even longer to acquire signals (I own a roadster, this type of car should be no problem with the body).

After acquire a signal I can stop driving and configure my routes.

Sorry, this is nearly useless: a disaster
For you. But you are speaking too broadly. It isn't a disaster for me.

And note the post below yours.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Picklesworth View Post
How about a reminder program with a plugin system powering different backends?
For example, one backend could watch the user's current message on Twitter for keywords (stemming works magic), while another keeps an eye on Presence (remind me when I am available!), one infers what the user is doing based on current appointments in Evolution's calendar and another watches GPS coordinates. Could be an interesting way to bridge the gap between all these things...

Perhaps the reminder program could simply maintain a string (or a little library of strings) regarding present status, set by the backends. User simply inputs some text for "when" to pop the reminder, then the reminder appears when the program logically works that out from the status text as per a search algorithm. Could get painful for dates and times, though, but at the same time I hate the idea of having an arbitrary field for that stuff...
(Or perhaps it could maintain various 'types' of status; time, location and text, each one blendable with the other and carrying unique properties).
I want to be one of your alpha testers!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by briand View Post
It went like this: geek is playing with neat electronic gizmo, and naturally piques the curiosity of nearby females predisposed to nerdy guys. she starts conversation about gadget. geek demonstrates gadget's unique properties, including handwriting recognition, and this built-in "AI" that could turn vague english language into real 'data', and even determine what class of data it is... after a relatively short demo, the girl has not only provided the geek with her address and phone number, but actually scheduled a lunch date with him! (yes, i used my messagepad 110 to good effect dozens of times while i was skipping class and 'hanging out')...
... it doesn't impress the geek-loving girls anymore, though.
Picking up girls by being geeky?! You must have hung out in a very unique place.

"Geek-loving girls" ... that sounds like a hypothetical, nay, imaginary class of beings. I've only ever found girls willing to tolerate geekiness, sometimes even without rolling their eyes.

Last edited by qole; 2008-04-29 at 17:51.

(last sequential post in this thread, I promise... ok, last one for now)

Originally Posted by piku View Post
The only issue I've noticed is that the accuracy wanders if the device is stationary. It always claims I'm moving at 0.1-0.3MPh in a random direction and can jump 5 or 10 metres. I find it hard to believe my house is shuffling around on its foundations that much I know this is a GPS issue, but it'd be really helpful if Maemo mapper could ignore speeds less than 1MPh, for example.
Yes, this bugs me as well; it is definitely something that occurs across various GPS devices, so suppression of this "wandering" would be nice in Mapper.

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Tallahassee, FL
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Picking up girls by being geeky?! You must have hung out in a very unique place.
engineering college. not unique. rarified perhaps...

Originally Posted by qole View Post
"Geek-loving girls" ... that sounds like a hypothetical, nay, imaginary class of beings. I've only ever found girls willing to tolerate geekiness, sometimes even without rolling their eyes.
if (m_student.class == engineer) {
seek (student.body) where
(student.gender == female) AND (student.major == liberal_arts) AND
(student.gpa < m_student.gpa) && print;
}

roll their eyes? nah. their eyes may open wide with pupils fully dilated as you explain their homework lesson to them (without having taken the course they're studying)... but, we're not talking about girls with whom to carry on long term relationships (or even intelligent conversation, necessarily) then...

You probably didn't realize you're talking to someone who got a liberal arts degree with a major in literature; I also helped the engineers and computer science majors fix their computers. I found engineering students to be mostly unkempt and non-communicative, despite their generally high intelligence.

Here's how I see it, from a liberal-arts-major perspective:

You probably got the eyes-dilated reaction when they realized that an engineering student could actually converse with a member of the opposite sex. They probably pretended to be interested in your gadget because it was obvious you needed it as a prop to talk to them in the first place. They played along because they knew that engineers may not have the best social skills, but they make good money, and they can actually be trained to be socially presentable... with a good woman to do the training.

(Hey, don't beat me up! I'm just "qolling"... )

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
And what a good qoller you are!

As for us unkempt, autistic, antisocial engineering types, we CAN be taught. I myself am damn near human. Even my wife will admit so on a good day.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post: