Originally Posted by Liam1 View Post
god forbid should anyone compare their wives to playboy/super models lest they incite the wrath of the 'apple to oranges/melon' police...
No, we're just smart enough to not go around telling our wives that they're being compared to playboy/super models.

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Lancashire, UK
I think the N800 is excellent for my needs. I wanted something to surf/check e-mails on without going to my home office and firing up the Vaio. I wanted something that I could store docs/ebooks on if I needed. I would like synch with Outlook but I have an N95 for diary/contacts. Sure, somethings I wait to do for when I am in the office, but on the whole this does what I wanted plus extras. Unfortunately, some buy gadgets without considering exactly what they need them for - and get disappointed. This does not necessarily mean the said gadget is at fault...

I find it funny how people making 6 figures (US) have the time to post here so often. I must be working in the wrong field.

Originally Posted by Liam1 View Post
god forbid should anyone compare their wives to playboy/super models lest they incite the wrath of the 'apple to oranges/melon' police...
consumers will always compare items to what they want to, and in this case, consumers who have no need for the customizing capability will just compare pure speed vs size..

The comparison police should also disallow comparing xbox 360s to ps3s, as both have different processors and design...and SIZES!
I find all of the above completely ridiculous. Shouldn't it be a fair deal to point out that comparing a bicycle to a lawnmover, or a tractor to a sports car doesn't make sense? Which, by the way, is completely different from comparing wives to supermodels, as they are actually the same 'species' so to speak.

So the N800 is slower than a desktop PC. So what? Why even compare? People pointing out this fallacy should be called 'comparison police' in your opinion? So the N800 is slower than what you expected when you bought it? Well, what was the reference of the original expectation then? A PC? People will rightly point this out to be wrong. A laptop? Ditto. Or was it simply not being aware of the current state of the art of portable, small ARM-based devices? People should be free to point this out too. Still not happy? Then you'll just have to wait for another turn of the wheel called Moore's law.

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
LOL
What I do with my little pony in my own time is my own business
Actually the whole tone of this thread does have a Jerry Springer ring to it.

Talk to the handheld because the laptop is not listening.

Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
I find it funny how people making 6 figures (US) have the time to post here so often. I must be working in the wrong field.
As I once informed a security guard working in the desert not too long ago...
"Hey buddy, I'm not the one who picked the outside job."

Also, there's this thing called "time zones". Not everyone in here lives in yours.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
I find all of the above completely ridiculous. Shouldn't it be a fair deal to point out that comparing a bicycle to a lawnmover, or a tractor to a sports car doesn't make sense? Which, by the way, is completely different from comparing wives to supermodels, as they are actually the same 'species' so to speak.

So the N800 is slower than a desktop PC. So what? Why even compare? People pointing out this fallacy should be called 'comparison police' in your opinion? So the N800 is slower than what you expected when you bought it? Well, what was the reference of the original expectation then? A PC? People will rightly point this out to be wrong. A laptop? Ditto. Or was it simply not being aware of the current state of the art of portable, small ARM-based devices? People should be free to point this out too. Still not happy? Then you'll just have to wait for another turn of the wheel called Moore's law.
^ winning post of the thread IMO. What is there left to say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sondjata

As I once informed a security guard working in the desert not too long ago...
"Hey buddy, I'm not the one who picked the outside job."

Also, there's this thing called "time zones". Not everyone in here lives in yours.
Actually, earnings and work amount probably has an inverse parabolic relation. At some point as the earning increases, there will be an apex of work, and as earning increases further, the amount of work decreases. Thats why bosses tend to have more time than their minions. So if you're not earning much, you probably are working your *** off and not have time. If you're a CEO, you can probably take time off on a weekday and play golf. But there are some people who have too much time and they are unemployed :P

Anyway, I didn't say comparisons against different 'species' was invalid, I said that people do make those comparisons. Airplanes are faster than cars, cars are faster than bicycles, laptops are faster than n800s. By doing this comparisons, people make decisions on travel and what to purchase.

People do not say, "oh..an airplane is not faster than a car as its not an apple to apple comparison.."

I think this thread is going the wrong direction. I still maintain my previous threads that the n800 is slower than laptops, so from a commercial standpoint, it is not attractive to the masses. It makes it hard to recommend to people when you have to mention multiple caveats or fine prints when you try to describe how cool the n800 is. Its cool after multiple tinkering attempts, but out of the box it will suck to most people.

Perhaps we should look at it from the point of NEEDS of the user.

It would seem that depending on one's needs, then one makes a purchase of a device hoping to fill that need. Is the marketing of the ITT done correctly/honestly? Is the impression given to the user who buys it correctly/honestly fulfilling its purpose described? Did the person buying have too much expectations of it or was that person fooled? Many questions...only the person buying it would know the REAL truth (pertaining to his/her own situation).

Folks. My last comment was sarcasm.