Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Alan_Peery View Post
How have you been getting the Kindle books to work on the N810? I thought they were DRM-entangled...
Someone found a way around the DRM issue using the Amazon-created Kindle for PC program. If you Google the words Kindle and Unswindle you can probably find instructions for undoing the DRM. Many blogs mention this and tell where to find more details.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 143 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Houston
I would like to add to the list of use cases above that I use my N800 also as a remote control for Boxee (and the computer in general) using the most excellent BlueMaemo. Works like a charm.

BTW, I also have a N900 and let me tell you that I don't find reading on it using FBreader a pain like most people seem to think. I even read comics on it. Although it is true that a larger screen is more confy for comics.

Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
I don't leave home without my N810. I use it for notetaking, keepnotes has become my favorite note app as it reminds me of the palmtx memo app that I used daily, omweather that I make sure to get my updated weather as often as possible, hometools for my system info and mediabox for my entertainment.

Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
How are you other, legacy-device users using yours?
My N810 is almost always within reach -- I can't imagine going more than a day without it! (In fact, when I shattered the screen on my first one, I couldn't find a replacement fast enough!)

In order of most frequently to least frequently used functions / applications:
  • Personal menu -- can't live without it. A one-stop shop for my most frequently used apps.
  • Web browsing. Either at home WiFi, public WiFi, or tethered via Bluetooth to my LG Env3 and my Verizon mobile account
  • Calendar / scheduling using GPE calendar, synched with my Google calendar via Erminig.
  • Canola -- primarily for music, the occasional video / movie, lots of podcast audio.
  • Alarm clock (using the native application (would love to use Flipclock but it's been too buggy for my needs).
  • Desktop access using VNC viewer. As handy around the house on my local wireless network as over the Internet when away from home.
  • RSS feed reader -- both manual and via the scrolling applet on the home screen.
  • Twitter. Using Mauku.
  • Claws-mail for quick email checks when away from my full email client on the desktop.
  • Maemo Mapper / GPS. Slow to acquire the signal, but more than adequate for day-in, day-out GPS needs.
  • Skype for the occasional chat or VOIP call.
  • Maemo Recorder for quick reminders.
  • Evince PDF reader for carrying operating manuals, reading material when away from my desktop.
  • Taking notes, particularly when using a USB-attached flexible keyboard.
  • OpenSSH so I can 'tweak' the configuration or clean-up my 16GB memory card as needed.
  • Even used 'Tuner' to help my son tune his new guitar.
With all the iPad hoopla, I just did a quick check on the state of internet tablet product offerings. Still not finding anything with as many features -- pocket-sized, keyboard, hi-res display, USB connection, removable memory card, stereo speakers, removable battery, etc. While not without its limitations, I still don't find an alternative to the N810 that works as well for so many different uses and in so many different situations!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kibatme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
Originally Posted by kibatme View Post
With all the iPad hoopla, I just did a quick check on the state of internet tablet product offerings. Still not finding anything with as many features -- pocket-sized, keyboard, hi-res display, USB connection, removable memory card, stereo speakers, removable battery, etc. While not without its limitations, I still don't find an alternative to the N810 that works as well for so many different uses and in so many different situations!
Amen Brother/Sister

Just picked up a N810, and looking for recommendations for the following:

1. Note taking app that I sync with MS Office.
2. Canola Like Window Manager.
3. Pandora
4. Facebook

Thanks
sl

Last edited by sl7020; 2010-03-22 at 15:46. Reason: Additional Item

Originally Posted by sl7020 View Post
Just picked up a N810, and looking for recommendations for the following:

1. Note taking app that I sync with MS Office.
2. Canola Like Window Manager.
3. Pandora
4. Facebook

Thanks
sl
1. Fail, you have tomboy which will sync with other tomboy accounts
2. You can have commando but nothing as pretty as canola
3. Pandora is possible
4. Facebook.......www.facebook.com....yep!

See all these people on here are making excuses for the N810 when really i think most of them are just in love with the aesthetics and its idea. I dont understand why there isnt more criticism about the lack of support/general customer service from Nokia but what the whoo, I suppose everyone just wants as many people on board as possible so we can make something useful out of this thing. Personally I dont see the N810 as a good PIM/music/facebook/notes device, I think it fails miserably in these fields, however its a fun toy for people who want to make their own apps for their own purposes, in other words a geek toy. Now if crap like PIM and Entertaiment/facebook/notes/games is what you seek, I hate to say it but iphone/ipad/icrap/iwhatever is about 10x better then this. Come one people lets stop making excuses for why we shelled out 300 + bucks for this thing around only a couple of years ago just to be left high and dry by corporate Nokia a year later. I admit I am a hippie and just simply hate them(Nokia) but I gotta admin I love my n810.

thank you,
it'll be all

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
I bought an n810 a few months ago and I am still in the process of turning it into something useful. I really miss decent PIM apps and I was very disappointed with the keyboard. I like the hardware, i.e. the built-in Wifi and stuff.

My daily companion in a sharp Zaurs SL-C760.

Posts: 7 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Florida
Long Time Nokia Tablet User, started with Nokia 770 and now running N800. I've used every OS and love that Debian applications are now ported and installable. I started a Blog and am comparing 8 different browsers, but have 11 installed.

Why I keep N800.

1. Boot from SD, install Easy Debian, and try out new applications. Want to try a Class 10 SD card and compare to my class 6 cards. Where will I see the performance boost?
Class 6 = 6mbs/ min vs Class 10
Faster boot, quicker load times on Debian applications? How much faster.

2. Quest for Fastest Browser. Debian Midori vs Maemo Midori? they are within 10% of each other on Sunspider benchmark

Midori v0.1.4 (Meamo port) 68232ms
Midori v0.1.8 (Debian port) 77018ms

3. Where I want my N800 to be at? Internal 16GB Class 10 SD, for boot, with Easy Debian.

4. Looks like N8x0 will live for a while longer especially when Firefox Mobile gets Flash running correctly. Sunsider score

Fennec 35243ms, wow!

5. Google Voice + Gizmo5 = FREE calls, I have over 2 hours calling companies. Don't have a house POTS line, and limited cell phone minutes, N800 and 770 have saved me plenty of money. Try 1-800-GOOG411 with Skype also.

This forum has a great list of applications and will keep NIT users happy, so contribute, post, and enjoy

http://tabletuser.blogspot.com/

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Victoria BC Canada
Originally Posted by saruji View Post
1 ...
however its a fun toy for people who want to make their own apps for their own purposes, in other words a geek toy.
Yup, and a damn fine geek toy it is! This is exactly why I keep it, and why I just ordered another battery. I intend to keep geeking out with this awesome toy for some time to come.

I mean, I just finished writing a perl script that pulls a report from my home-grown web-based project database, so now I can get a detailed list of everything I don't have time to do... because I'm spending way too much time having fun with the N810. Life is good.

Tags
makes love to n810, squirt squirt