Notices

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Oh, yes: Please have a look at the menu of the most recent version and tell me what you think. It's stil in development, but I think it's an improvement from the previous menu structure. You can now also import and export from/to local OPML files (thanks to chrisak for pointing out that importing from local OPML files does make sense .

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Finland
Installed the most recent version and it looks great. Pretty soon I don't Itunes anymore I just wish there would be an easy way to export all Itunes podcast subscriptions to gPodder...

The menu structure looks good and logical to me and I can't yet say if it's missing anything. But I'll keep on using the software and see how it goes.

I haven't yet checked whether gpodder is able to do unattended downloads of new episodes (no confirmation dialogs). That's the most important feature to me: I want to be able to leave gpodder running overnight and have all the fresh podcasts waiting for me in the morning.

Oh, and I found a bug: when I slide open the keypad on N810, gpodder has a segmentation fault and dies.

Sami

According to this page, you can export your iTunes podcast subscriptions to an OPML file. Send it over to your N8x0 and it should work with the new import from OPML file function. Alternative guides: here and here

For the sefgault: I don't have a clue, as I can't slide out a keyboard on my N800 to reproduce the crash. Does this happen anywhere in the program or just in some certain spot where you are supposed to type something? Does "gpodder --verbose --maemo" tell you anything important when run from osso-xterm and trying to reproduce the segfault?

The Following User Says Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 9 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by thp View Post
According to this page, you can export your iTunes podcast subscriptions to an OPML file. Send it over to your N8x0 and it should work with the new import from OPML file function. Alternative guides: here and here

For the sefgault: I don't have a clue, as I can't slide out a keyboard on my N800 to reproduce the crash. Does this happen anywhere in the program or just in some certain spot where you are supposed to type something? Does "gpodder --verbose --maemo" tell you anything important when run from osso-xterm and trying to reproduce the segfault?
Wow, thanks for the iTunes info. Actually, I wasn't even expecting it to be possible. But this is really great.

About the crash: it happens every time when I slide the keypad open, no matter what the gpodder is doing. Unfortunately the verbose parameter doesn't give any extra information - the only thing that gets printed when crashing is "Segmentation fault". Closing a keypad that was previously opened doesn't do any harm, it's only the opening.

I don't know if it is related, but I still get two warnings when starting up. They're the same as before, about "Mixing deprecated and non-deprecated GtkToolbar API" and "gtk_accel_group_find assertion".

Sami

So when can we expect this in extras? =)

Originally Posted by plb View Post
So when can we expect this in extras? =)
Don't know how to get packages into the extras repository. There's a gPodder repository, so after adding this to your list, I think there's no difference between that and the extras repository. Of course, if anyone could point to the documentation on how to get software into the extras repository, I'd try to submit it there, too.

I just started using gpodder and it's a very nice app. I think the benefit of getting it into the extras repo is that then it's easier for beginners to find. It gets that much more exposure.

I'm able to confirm the bug samikki reported with my n810. I open gpodder, and as soon as I slide the keyboard open it crashes. Closing the keyboard has no effect. There are some dbus messages generated on keyboard open and close. Perhaps an unexpected dbus message is crashing it?

The Following User Says Thank You to rbrewer123 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rbrewer123 View Post
I just started using gpodder and it's a very nice app. I think the benefit of getting it into the extras repo is that then it's easier for beginners to find. It gets that much more exposure.
Ok, I had a look into it and found a guide how to apply. I've applied just now, let's see if they'll accept me

Originally Posted by rbrewer123 View Post
I'm able to confirm the bug samikki reported with my n810. I open gpodder, and as soon as I slide the keyboard open it crashes. Closing the keyboard has no effect. There are some dbus messages generated on keyboard open and close. Perhaps an unexpected dbus message is crashing it?
Thanks, that observation seems helpful Can you please send (or paste) the output of "dbus-monitor --system" and dbus-monitor --session" when opening and closing the keyboard? Do you know if this happens on any other pymaemo application? Can you please try the same procedure with the tray icon disabled (disable tray icon, restart gPodder, slide out keyboard).

Thanks

I've tried running with the tray icon enabled and disabled, and in both cases gpodder crashes when I slide open the keyboard. I'll post the dbus-monitor output later in a separate reply. I'm not aware of other python apps with this particular issue. Specifically I can say that Gene Cash's PIM apps which are written in python and process some dbus messages don't have this issue.

Code:
Nokia-N810-51-3:~# dbus-monitor --system
signal sender=org.freedesktop.DBus -> dest=:1.279 path=/org/freedesktop/DBus; interface=org.freedesktop.DBus; member=NameAcquired
   string ":1.279"
signal sender=:1.3 -> dest=(null destination) path=/com/nokia/mce/signal; interface=com.nokia.mce.signal; member=display_status_ind
   string "off"
signal sender=:1.3 -> dest=(null destination) path=/com/nokia/mce/signal; interface=com.nokia.mce.signal; member=display_status_ind
   string "on"
signal sender=:1.3 -> dest=(null destination) path=/com/nokia/mce/signal; interface=com.nokia.mce.signal; member=tklock_mode_ind
   string "unlocked"
signal sender=:1.0 -> dest=(null destination) path=/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/platform_slide; interface=org.freedesktop.Hal.Device; member=PropertyModified
   int32 1
   array [
      struct {
         string "button.state.value"
         boolean false
         boolean false
      }
   ]
signal sender=:1.0 -> dest=(null destination) path=/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/platform_slide; interface=org.freedesktop.Hal.Device; member=Condition
   string "ButtonPressed"
   string "cover"
   string "on"
signal sender=:1.3 -> dest=(null destination) path=/com/nokia/mce/signal; interface=com.nokia.mce.signal; member=system_inactivity_ind
   boolean false
   string "on"
signal sender=:1.0 -> dest=(null destination) path=/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/platform_slide; interface=org.freedesktop.Hal.Device; member=PropertyModified
   int32 1
   array [
      struct {
         string "button.state.value"
         boolean false
         boolean false
      }
   ]
signal sender=:1.0 -> dest=(null destination) path=/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/platform_slide; interface=org.freedesktop.Hal.Device; member=Condition
   string "ButtonPressed"
   string "cover"
I think the screen happened to switch off just when I began this one. I then slid the keyboard open, waited a few seconds and slid it closed.

Last edited by rbrewer123; 2008-05-05 at 00:17.

Tags
media, podcasts