Originally Posted by Tuxedosteve View Post
No need to be insulting. When you tell someone to get an ad "filter" don't act shirty when they search and can't find it *because it's not called that*.
The search was on Greasemonkey. If you find my personal way of being helpful "insulting", then it's best we both do without it.

Posts: 201 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
http://config.privoxy.org/ will, while Privoxy is running, take you to a configuration page. Most of what you can do there is limited to viewing files, though; you need to edit them with a text editor to add things. You can do it on the N800 if you use a program that can see the real file structure. I use my PC to do it over SSH (and fuse.)

http://www.privoxy.org/user-manual/configuration.html <- this page has more information on how to use an set it up. Right after installing privoxy, I had to make a few changes. I turned off the privacy settings that were expiring cookies and put Google on as a "fragile" site. Aside from that, Privoxy has worked wonderfully for me.

I do appologise for my temper. I intensely dislike the "Just search for it fool" attitude that a large segment of the OSS community tends to exhibit. I feel that it drives people away and that's not really a good thing.
I think you are right; one of the reasons Ubuntu has taken off like it has is because they are very opposed to that sort of insulting attitude on their forums.

I'd actually forgotten why I stopped using Privoxy years ago. It's far too ready to break websites and is so complicated you spend more time figuring out how to unbreak websites than surfing.

Ldrn. Could you try surfing to http://www.eurogamer.net with privoxy on and see what happens?

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Kentucky
Originally Posted by ldrn View Post
I think you are right; one of the reasons Ubuntu has taken off like it has is because they are very opposed to that sort of insulting attitude on their forums.
That one sentence just sold me on Ubuntu... (I normally use debian)...

What the majority of "search and you shall find" people don't always get is that one person can search for something for days, but if they aren't looking for the exact same thing someone who knows the answer would, they don't always find the right answer...

Now having said that, I'm not saying you CANNOT find the answer EVENTUALLY, but its just as easy to answer the question sometimes than to suggest someone search in a rude manner...

I am also not saying one shouldn't try to find the answer themselves, nor should they expect to be babied, but people need to understand not all answers are easy to find...

lets not turn this into a flame war, but let us all try to be friends and make this community better for ALL, theres no sense in being rude to those that are new, and acting as if you are better than everyone else just because you figured something out that someone else is struggling with...

Thanks for your time!

I think I have one final question about privoxy before I can go away and be happy.

When privoxy blocks certain things it adds a message into the webpage with links so you can see what it blocks. Is there any way to disable these? I've been having a look through the config files and not spotted anything that looks a likely suspect.

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ localhost
Originally Posted by jwhelan View Post
Now having said that, I'm not saying you CANNOT find the answer EVENTUALLY, but its just as easy to answer the question sometimes than to suggest someone search in a rude manner...
I completely agree. I thought my one word answer was (although a bit blunt) a nice 'in the middle' solution to get one going. If you enter privoxy in google you get loads of on the spot info.

I think the default Privoxy settings don't need a lot of altering. Especially on the N800.

Last edited by Frankowitz; 2007-11-15 at 15:37.

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ A quiet place.
I agree. Just because "you" know how to search for something simply, does not mean other people do. It's like giving directions to someone who is lost: you may know exactly what you mean by "go up three stops and take a right", but the person asking for directions lacks the familiarity with the environment you do.

Originally Posted by Frankowitz View Post
I think the default Privoxy settings don't need a lot of altering. Especially on the N800.
They do if you got to a site like http://www.eurogamer.net where the messages saying "Privoxy blocked <url> see why or go there anyway" completely mess up the page formatting.

I'm still trying to figure out how to turn that off.

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ localhost
They do if you got to a site like http://www.eurogamer.net where the messages saying "Privoxy blocked <url> see why or go there anyway" completely mess up the page formatting.

I'm still trying to figure out how to turn that off.
You need root rights to alter the config files of privoxy on the N800. (search for 'becomeroot' on this board )
I did it sometime ago, but haven't got the time to look into it now.
It wasn't that hard though.

Maybe someone else can provide the needed info?

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Colorado Springs
Originally Posted by jwhelan View Post
What the majority of "search and you shall find" people don't always get is that one person can search for something for days, but if they aren't looking for the exact same thing someone who knows the answer would, they don't always find the right answer...
Reminds me of years ago before computers. "How do you spell blah-blah-blah?" Sometimes the answer was: "Go look it up."

I never understood the logic. Unless you are trying to teach someone how to lookup a word they don't know... for when they don't have anyone around to ask.

In other words... the "Go look it up" answer is generally given by people that are being lazy. Unless they claim to be self appointed "teachers" who are trying to teach someone how to look something up for when nobody else is around. (But since it is the internet that lesson is kind of pointless; making them look silly.)

Although I DO admit that I sometimes get a bit short tempered when I see the 50th post asking the same question over a short period of time. "Read headers people. No searching required!"

This is all similar to the self appointed grammar and spelling correctors. (Although I can't stand the l337 speak or walls of text with no punctuation. Walls of text are more dangerous than Gazebos. Yeah... go look it up.)