Originally Posted by kitzj0 View Post
This might be a stupid question... do you have the tethering plan from Verizon? It is like $15 extra. You need that plan to be able to tether your phone with the Nokia.
that is *NOT TRUE* you only need to pay the $15 if you do not want to violate the TOS with vzw - technologically speaking you do not need the tether plan.

LG VX8300 vs. Nokia N800 = Good DUN

I have QPST-hacked SW v3 on the VX8300 and non-hacked n800.
I used the following fix with QPST.

1. Just follow the instructions in post #1 at howardforums. It's just as simple as taking the "dun" out. http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=735606
2. Tether and connect the phone to the N800 as advertised by Nokia, using the default Verizon settings, but don't forget to put your number in place of <MDN>.

I was getting ready to return my tablet, but now its a keeper!
(I need it for the airport terminal/plane)

The Following User Says Thank You to HVAA For This Useful Post:
Firstly, thanks for everyones help on this issue, and here is some more help for those with an xv6700 on verizon. I have upgraded to WM6, with a custom ROM, but the instructions are presented as working for WM5.0 so I have no reason to doubt they will work in many iterations.

I followed the presented steps here:

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/ppc-6...ng-xv6700.html

copied below for your convenience

1. Go to the PHONE application
2. ##3328873
3. enter code 000000
4. Select BT DUN
5. Click Edit
6. Choose enable
7. Select WMODEM
8. Click Edit
9. Choose enable
10. Push Save / OK
11. Push Ok
12. follow the prompt to restart your device

discover services, and voila! you've got bluetooth DUN available.

I have a just purchased an n800 with the latest OS and followed the included wizards to set up first a blue tooth partnership, then a new CDMA phone connection. MY XV6700 showed as available in the connections dialogs after partnering. I entered the data service number in the connection wizard #777, but no ID or password. Connected first time. I have not tested it over time, but my gmail loaded up with decent speed, clearly evdo bandwidth.

thanks again and good luck.

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ California
To rgbyhkr . . .
Thank you for your post. I am now connecting to the net via my Verizon data plan on a Treo. Wouldn't have done it without your post. One comment, tell folks to be sure to enable blue tooth in PDANet.

I followed the directions here and at the Mark Venture page, and connected immediately with my motorola v710. This is an older phone (verizon's first bluetooth model) and maybe they didn't mess with it as much as later models to keep it from accessing the data network. Contrary to some of the threads here, I actually got a "verizon" options on the Nokia during setup, and I can switch back and forth from wifi to verizon with the connection mananger, all without the v710 ever leaving my pocket. Very cool.

I have no idea how this is being billed. A couple of years ago, I used their 1g net connection (pokey old 14.4.) a lot with my laptop, it was an ideal way to kill time on weekends during long swim meets. That was free air time and it never cost me a penny. I plan to be careful until I see this month's bill.

I followed Mark Venture's nopap dun write up (seemed) on my V3m last night and everything works now.

Hey -

I have a Verizon 700p; just picked up an N800 and love it, but am trying to get the DUN problem solved. I do not have PDAnet or USBmodem but will certainly consider getting one of those if it's relatively certain that it would solve the problem. I'm a Linux guy too, but have one Winblows box I can use if necessary to get this installed (again, if I need it).

Anyway, I went through the procedure(s) on the first page. The version of the connectivity software I have on the N800 does list Verizon as an option, but it couldn't get out at all using that choice. I tried it using the "Sprint" option, then changing the settings as described earlier.

The results are variable. Sometimes I don't get a connection at all. Sometimes, the icon on the phone changes to a "computer" (and once, the phone tried to do a remote sync while I was doing this, and an error message came up saying that a DUN connection was in progress). However, I usually get a box with the message "Remote server error" on the N800. So, I think I'm close, but not there yet. I tried entering "<cell number>@vzw3g.com" as a username and "vzw" as a password, but that usually resulted in "Authentication failed" (or similar).

Any other ideas??

Thanks
Bob

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
A couple thoughts.

If you don't currently pay for the $15/month Verizon "tethering" option then I think you'll pretty much need something like PDAnet (short of finding a current hack for your 700p, which there may be).

The old method of using your number@vzw3g.com/vzw just doesn't work on more recent phones with newer VZW firmware. (Again without hacks) Basically Verizon clamped things down by introducing a new auth server (dun.vzw3g.com) that just has paid access.

FWIW I'm on a Verizon Motorola Q using PDAnet via bluetooth. Works fine. They do have a demo you can try if you want.

Moonshine -

Thanks for that info. I will not likely need to use it very often, so I'm not inclined to cough up an extra $180/year on top of the over $500 I'm paying for the data plan. I will check out PDAnet and post the results.

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
I hear that Hopefully it will work as well as it does on the Q.