The thread about the KDE install is getting very long. Somone who starts at the beginning and wants to install KDE will probably strike the "browser changes to courier" font problem.

So I thought I'd break that out here:

Now that I've installed KDE, how do I fix the fonts in my browser?

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Texas
Originally Posted by PinCushionQueen View Post
It's been a couple of weeks since I did this... so hopefully I'm remembering what I did correctly In any case, I used information that I found here on the forums so you should be able to at least search and find the same information, if needed.

First grab the fonts here I'm using the first ones in the list (258k) - I'm not sure if it matters which one you use or not.

Then copy the font(s) to /usr/share/fonts/

Following the instructions either here or here for changing the default font x-western.

Edit: Elpaso's method sounds much easier - didn't even think of using KDE to install the fonts since the problem was in microb
I haven't tried that, but it should work. :P

"Life is too short to waste on sleep" - Johnny Cunningham

http://www.skibur.com

The Following User Says Thank You to skibur For This Useful Post:
I tried every solution including, deleting .fontconfig from home directory, changing all the font settings in KDE, and installing new fonts. Some of these tricks helped for one time, and then reverted to the junky font again.

The only solution which works somewhat for me is adding these lines to /home/user/.mozilla/microb/prefs.js

user_pref("font.default.x-western", "sans-serif");
user_pref("font.language.group", "x-western");
user_pref("font.name.monospace.x-western", "Nokia Sans");
user_pref("font.name.sans-serif.x-western", "Nokia Sans");
user_pref("font.name.serif.x-western", "Nokia Sans");

which helps for most text on most webpages, however the text inside the buttons and elsewhere is still messed up.

Also I noticed that the font inside the built-in map program also gets messed up, and I think I noticed it in other programs as well.

Does anyone else have messed up fonts in any other programs?

Last edited by iKneaDough; 2008-01-15 at 20:51.

I am not sure if that's the problem but on desktop pcs setting the dpi settings to the same on both Desktop Environments solves similar problems between qt and gtk apps.

Originally Posted by spirytsick View Post
I am not sure if that's the problem but on desktop pcs setting the dpi settings to the same on both Desktop Environments solves similar problems between qt and gtk apps.
Thanks. I tried every dpi setting in KDE, and each time it worked only the first time it's loaded after a reboot. I'm assuming that one of the DPI settings in KDE should match the default os2008 setting, but I don't know, because I don't see any font settings anywhere in os2008.

what about microb font problem after installing kde?

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ San Jose, CA
i'm not sure if anybody has mentioned this but i found that if i type about:config in the url and then search for "font" the first one on the list is browser.display.use_document_fonts with an integer value of "1". If you change that to 0 it has the same effect as modifying the prefs.js file.

Another interesting thing is the first time i installed KDE w/ debs i changed the fonts before logging out the session and found that i did not have any issues w/ the fonts. In fact it stayed Nokia Sans. I think it might have to do w/ the new preferences that KDE adds or saves after the first time we run it. So if we change all fonts to Nokia Sans the first time we run KDE we might avoid the problem altogether.

If i have time I'll retest these theories and see if it sticks.

On the other hand, If the about:config fix works then does anybody know where it is kept or if its the same as prefs.js? If so then lets replace that file w/ a clean copy from before KDE is installed and see if that fixes it.

Gluck,
Sai

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Yes - pref.js is the same as about:config.

I stated how to do this in another thread, just log out of kde, power down and power up into it2008, start microb and the fonts will be back to normal.

Last edited by powder2000; 2008-01-19 at 16:43.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by PinCushionQueen View Post
Yes - pref.js is the same as about:config.

When I look at prefs.js in my home dir

/home/user/.mozilla/microb/prefs.js

anyway, it contains ways less info than what my about:config shows is there another prefs.js? where is it getting all the font info from.

So many posts I am getting confused. Is there a fix someone has I can change prefs.js and send out with KDE?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Tags
browser, kde, kde35