Fixed. Thanks.

P.S. - A combination of your KDE and the vpnc software has allowed me to completely do away with lugging around my work laptop everywhere I go. (I am a WebLogic and LDAP administrator for a Fortune 250 company and am on call 24/7/365)

Being on call so much actually hampered my freedom having to always haul around my laptop "just in case."

KDE and vpnc has officially changed my life. I now carry just the n800 and have already successfully resolved multiple problems with just a cell phone and my n800.

I can't thank you enough. A donation will head your way.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
reboot, font problems fixed right?
Right indeed! Three times there and back and MY MicroB fonts are just the way I left 'em. Thanks for making a clear post for this fix.

BTW, rebooting KDE seems faster, or is it just my imagination?

Also, how do I keep the virtual keyboard from popping up on reboot? I couldn't find the setting but I'm sure it's there, yes?

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
How to fix, I need some more confirmations please let me know if this fixes you, please reboot and start KDE a few times to verify.

open xterm
sudo su -
mv /etc/profile /etc/profile-kde
mv /etc/profile-orig /etc/profile

hi pb, thanks for kde, i have it installed on my n810 and it works really well, but i too am having the mozilla microb and maps text issue. i tried your fix here and i think i'm doing something wrong. i've never used xterm before, so when it comes to code, i'm a little tarded could someone please spell it out for me exactly what i'm suppose to do and type? i would really appreciate it. thanks in advance for the help.

joe

FWIW, I seem to have fixed my fonts simply by changing to the Nokia Sans settings in the font settings in KDE. I have turned it on and off and gotten in and out of KDE a couple of times since and those funny g(s) with part of the top missing are gone.

Neil

The Following User Says Thank You to sungrove For This Useful Post:
Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by joeD View Post
hi pb, thanks for kde, i have it installed on my n810 and it works really well, but i too am having the mozilla microb and maps text issue. i tried your fix here and i think i'm doing something wrong. i've never used xterm before, so when it comes to code, i'm a little tarded could someone please spell it out for me exactly what i'm suppose to do and type? i would really appreciate it. thanks in advance for the help.

joe
1) Install xterm if you don't already have it installed
2) open xterm
3) type 3 lines of text - starting with "sudo su". Type them EXACTLY as you see them. Press return after each line.
4) reboot and see if your fonts are fixed.

The Following User Says Thank You to PinCushionQueen For This Useful Post:
Ok, so I have osso-xterm installed on my n810 inside os2008. Will that work for xterm? I will try the font fix, but I want to spell it out below, and let me know if this is correct. According to Penguibait's instructions I type exactly what I see [actions in brackets]:

sudo[space]su[space]-[enter]
mv[space]/etc/profile[space]/etc/profile-kde[enter]
mv[space]/etc/profile-orig[space]/etc/profile[enter]

Is this correct? Thanks for the advice, and patience

joe

Looks correct to me.

Originally Posted by sungrove View Post
FWIW, I seem to have fixed my fonts simply by changing to the Nokia Sans settings in the font settings in KDE. I have turned it on and off and gotten in and out of KDE a couple of times since and those funny g(s) with part of the top missing are gone.

Neil
thanks for everyones input. I tried this approach first, and for some reason it has fixed both my maps and mocrob. KDE is a cool hack. Thanks again for the help everyone...another satisfied itT forum member!

Joe

Tags
browser, kde, kde35