Notices

LCARS v4.0 has been released:

http://synthesize.us/LCARS_PADD

If you decide to install, please be sure to read the release notes.

Feedback is welcome.

Changelog:
• Works on ITOS2008 (Maemo 4.0) only
• Built with hildon-theme-tools
• New source file layout
• Most graphics recreated in SVG with Inkscape
• Added black outlines to desktop applets, menus, dialogs, etc.
• Updated desktop applets (with transparency)
• Most icons are now themed properly, rather than diverted
• Unthemeable icons now have their own package (lcars-extras)
• Added startup graphics (lcars-extras)
• New search applet for memory-alpha.org (search-memory-alpha)
• Activated toolbar animations

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to ian_ryge For This Useful Post:
Wow, that's awesome. Beeing a Trekkie, I really like this theme. Didn't know that Maemo can can be themed to that extent.

Only problem is, that this theme is making many applications with hardcoded font colour or background colour (partly) unusable.

RSS reader - black font on black background (already mentioned on the website you linked)

Video Center - yellow font on white background.

OMWeather - black font on black background in the detail view.

Skype - yellow font on white background in some places.

Diskusage, Mathjinni... - yellow font on slightly different yellow background in some places.

Just to name some of the more popular applications affected...

Any chance, that you can provide a version of the theme with colours that is also usable with applications where the font or background colour is hardcoded (mostly hardcoded with font = black or background = white).
I guess the LCARS theme with background = light grey or light yellow (maybe the colour currently used for the titlebars or the colour used for the scrollbars) and font = black would also look fine.

Last edited by iskarion; 2008-02-08 at 11:17.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
You should also raise bugs against those application authors for ignoring the system-configured colours.

Originally Posted by iskarion View Post
Any chance, that you can provide a version of the theme with colours that is also usable with applications where the font or background colour is hardcoded (mostly hardcoded with font = black or background = white).
I guess the LCARS theme with background = light grey or light yellow (maybe the colour currently used for the titlebars or the colour used for the scrollbars) and font = black would also look fine.
Unfortunately, I honestly don't think there's much I can do to improve those apps with hardcoded colors without seriously compromising the look of the whole theme. You're welcome to make an attempt if you want; colors are defined in the theme's gtkrc file. (/usr/share/themes/lcars-padd/gtk-2.0/gtkrc) Or if you don't feel like digging through that to find what you're looking to change, you could also edit the colors in the theme source image, and rebuild the package.

Instructions for how to modify/rebuild the LCARS themes are here:
http://synthesize.us/LCARS_PADD/HOWT..._hildon_themes

I'll try to submit bug reports to the maintainers of those apps you mentioned, but I'm kind of busy right now and I can't promise I'll get to it right away.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Aside from the colors issue, this is *really* a FANTASTIC job! Thank You!

Anyone for creating an "Auto Destruct" sequence to shutdown or reboot? The whole dialog with confirmation etc. would be pretty cool too!

I am terrible at design, but I would be interested in getting together with someone to add a Nemesis-style blue color scheme. The blue LCARS would match the design of the n810 much better.

Last edited by greviant; 2008-02-09 at 04:40. Reason: .

Originally Posted by ian_ryge View Post
colors are defined in the theme's gtkrc file. (/usr/share/themes/lcars-padd/gtk-2.0/gtkrc) Or if you don't feel like digging through that to find what you're looking to change, you could also edit the colors in the theme source image, and rebuild the package.
Thanks, that's what I was looking for. Yesterday I did already rebuild the theme according to the instructions on your website. I was just not able to figure out in which file the colour are defined.

Originally Posted by ian_ryge View Post
I'll try to submit bug reports to the maintainers of those apps you mentioned, but I'm kind of busy right now and I can't promise I'll get to it right away.
I'm already in the process of submitting bug reports. Just wouldn't hold my breath that all or the majority of the authors will fix this in the forseeable future. Maybe the authors of some small opensource applications like OMWeather, but probably not the big ones like Skype.

The Following User Says Thank You to iskarion For This Useful Post:
Thank you for this! I especially like the animated battery icon when charging.

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ London, UK
Nice one! Just installed this on my N800 and it's very well done. Congratulations and I'm not even a fan of startrek. In fact I quite dislike the show <ducks>

I'm also a big fan of the show. However, I am waiting for a fix so that OMWeather details are displayed properly (right now they're black on black).

Also, I've noticed that after I uninstall all the LCARS packages, my key sounds (sounds initiated from hardware button presses) are still LCARS. Anybody know how to restore the original OS2008 sounds? )-: The key sounds are well done, but seriously geeky unless I have the LCARS theme installed/loaded.

EDIT: Touch screen sounds are still LCARS after uninstall too. Ugh?