Originally Posted by IsaacDFP View Post
One of all, wow, you guys are fast, lol, i just heard about the news and came here.
Secondly, I am confused... what is the (rumored) difference between the N9 (which I thought was originally no longer in existence) and the N950 (which was officially "mentioned") ?
And I believe no matter how good the OS optimization is, it must have a minimum of 64GB storage, dual-core, a great gpu and lots of ram. Because knowing the community, we are gonna abuse this device, lol. I, for one, will research so much into making it run multiple OSes.
Sounds like the N9 & the N950 are one and the same device now.

As far as your spec is concerned think about this logically is Elop going to allow the Nokia meego device be far superior to anything running M$ in a few moths time, that would be a marketing disaster for nokia & M$?

Looking on the bright side for any N900 users the nearer the spec to our phones the better as we should then be able to run Meego OS apps etc made for the new device

Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
Sounds like the N9 & the N950 are one and the same device now.

As far as your spec is concerned think about this logically is Elop going to allow the Nokia meego device be far superior to anything running M$ in a few moths time, that would be a marketing disaster for nokia & M$?

Looking on the bright side for any N900 users the nearer the spec to our phones the better as we should then be able to run Meego OS apps etc made for the new device
Elop will still want to make returns on the device though, and there is no reason why the above specs cannot be included for a WP7 device i.e. those specs don't have to be superior to WP7 at all

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by tomchiverton View Post
I expect the design will be awesome - Nokia have always been good there. Why MIcrosoft would let Nokia carry on producing and supporting a non-Microsoft operating system I have no idea.
I can only assume there is a legal reason for producing a MeeGo phone, maybe something between Nokia and Intel. But Nokia have dumped everything else (even QT (to a company noone has ever heard of) and Nokia Maps (to replace Bing maps in Windows mobile) ) like a hot potato.

Wrong OviMaps will MERGE with Microsoft. Thats one of the reason Microsoft was soo desperate. Microsoft needs that.

Sold QT what the hell are you talking about? Link please?

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
This phone will be the stuff of legends!

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Don't forget that this is not MeeGo. It's Harmattan, which is Maemo with the MeeGo APIs. However they will be porting the MeeGo DE to the device, which could be used as a very good basis for a community supported platform (especially if the MeeGo project has rights to rebuild/redistribute any non-open bits.)

But any buy would happen ONLY if the above were true AND it significantly exceeded the N900's capabilities.
I am sure most of the libs and UI in harmattan willl be released for Meego.

Except those "apps" that is not allowed to be opensourced. But I dont see them as "Harmattan core" anyway.

I am expecting a Nokia:s "Qt-components for Meego" in the GIT repository in about two weeks from now. And that means Harmattan in the most is already merged too meego IF intel(and the community) allows them too add it to Meego 1.3.

Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
Yes i've wondered about that, so it could be interesting to see how this unfolds. Maybe hear next week?
But as this isn't a true MeeGo phone but is Harmattan, maybe it won't receive the updates. Have to see. If it can do what the N900 can do but with updated hardware and can receive MeeGo updates from Intel, i will want it.
Intel is for sure not intrested to support that one. Remember Intel is a HW manufactor and if this rumors are true Nxx is ARM based so why would Intel bother support Nxx?

Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
Elop will still want to make returns on the device though, and there is no reason why the above specs cannot be included for a WP7 device i.e. those specs don't have to be superior to WP7 at all
Not sure Elop does want to make a return, if he does why do it so low key, I sense he is just doing it because it is part of the Intel agreement or Nokia insis he does in case they fall out with him & M$.

Assuming Meego os is an improvement on maemo os then I can see it being a far superior os to WP7 running on similar hardware. If not we may as well just by a WP7 device anyway as no doubt it will have far greater support.

Posts: 112 | Thanked: 269 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Oulu, Finland
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/11/n...ontent=Twitter

Last we heard, the Nokia N9 rode Stephen Elop's burning platform into the sunset, never to be seen again. Today, there's a FCC filing that begs to differ. Wireless Goodness spotted that RM-680 in the always-helpful government database, where it claims support for six cellular frequencies as well as Bluetooth and 2.4GHz 802.11 b/g/n WiFi -- enough to appear on most any GSM carrier, to say nothing of AT&T and T-Mobile. Will the MeeGo-packing QWERTY-sliding hardware that Eldar Murtazin called "near perfect" appear in the US or Canada one day? We don't think it's terribly likely, but if it comes with a dash of Windows Phone 7 on board, we can't promise not to jump for joy. See the full list of bands after the break.

King is back!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to larux For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by larux View Post
Found hints abt keyboard:

GOOD! Keyboard is #1 factor besides community why I still use this excellent piece of technology called N900

+1 for keyboard hints. Looking at their Test 1 sheet, they have tested and passed the device in all manner of postitions, even in Flipped/Open state...
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/eas/GetApp...tml?id=1462095

The Following User Says Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Lots of people care about those, and now that the market has a number available then releasing old hardware just makes you look bad.

With luck, they've reused the chassis but updated the guts. I hope so, OMAP3 will be a joke otherwise.
Yes for the masses and idiots that buys "newest coolest specs" and Androids because of dualcore it "may look bad"

But fact is this handset can be more optimized for the CPU/GPU than new hardware with DualCore and so on. Are we even sure Android is optimized for those DualCores comming atm?

Personally I am perfecly fine with a small upgrade of the CPU/GPU.

As long as it has it has good HWkey, bigger screen and better batterytime and the MeegoHarmattan runs smothly like in the case of N900.

I mean N900 still can compete with some crap Androids released today.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland