Active Topics

Originally Posted by punto View Post
Nothing for the iPhone will work. In fact, nothing wired seems to work apart from the stock, not even Nokia's jacked remotes - BT seems to be the only way of getting functionality like this. Whenever I'm using the N900 as my main phone, I therefore have high-end IEM's running off the Nokia BH-214 at the moment, which is clearly lunacy given the sonic limitations of Bluetooth.

If you find something, let us all know as I'm defo looking for a 3.5mm jacked, wired, mic'd remote - and being unable to unearth one, it's just one of the reasons I'm thinking about putting the N900 on the scrapheap. It may be a nerd's delight, but there's too many of the basics it does abysmally, or not at all.
This really sucks. At any rate I did find out something interesting. The Astro Gaming A40 headset does appear to work right out of the box the same should be true of the A30. I have to do some more testing but I think the mic works as well. If you can deal with headsets it may be worth taking a look at the Astro gaming line:http://www.astrogaming.com/products/3/Audio-Systems/

It occurs to me that it should be possible to use the USB port on the phone to connect a headset and just pass the various signals that way. Any gaps in functionality could be addressed in software with relative ease.

Originally Posted by shadow skill View Post
This really sucks. At any rate I did find out something interesting. The Astro Gaming A40 headset does appear to work right out of the box the same should be true of the A30. I have to do some more testing but I think the mic works as well. If you can deal with headsets it may be worth taking a look at the Astro gaming line:http://www.astrogaming.com/products/3/Audio-Systems/
Well - the problem is partially in the pinouts of the four-conductor pin on the 3.5mm jack on iPhone headsets, so if you have one that's wired differently (clearly so in the case of the A40 4-conductor adapter) the mic has a chance of working. But obviously - no way to control call pickup, adjust volume, etc etc. So pretty useless either way.

It's rather bizarre that Nokia seemingly hasn't made this bit open, or that no-one's done anything with it. Some third-party iPhone headsets have three-button remotes which do call pickup and media playback (with full transport controls by multiple button-press sequences) for example. But perhaps more bizarre that they've not made it work with their AD-series jacked remotes.

It occurs to me that it should be possible to use the USB port on the phone to connect a headset and just pass the various signals that way. Any gaps in functionality could be addressed in software with relative ease.
Good luck with that.

Last edited by punto; 2010-07-04 at 23:16.

Originally Posted by punto View Post
Well - the problem is partially in the pinouts of the four-conductor pin on the 3.5mm jack on iPhone headsets, so if you have one that's wired differently (clearly so in the case of the A40 4-conductor adapter) the mic has a chance of working. But obviously - no way to control call pickup, adjust volume, etc etc. So pretty useless either way.

It's rather bizarre that Nokia seemingly hasn't made this bit open, or that no-one's done anything with it. Some third-party iPhone headsets have three-button remotes which do call pickup and media playback (with full transport controls by multiple button-press sequences) for example. But perhaps more bizarre that they've not made it work with their AD-series jacked remotes.

Good luck with that.
Heh, well it is possible to control volume on the A40 if you use the attachment with the two 3.5mm jacks. But yea you can't take a call with it.

Has anyone tried these:http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/product...h-mic-reviews/

No volume control but it does have a call answer/end button. If these do work how is the sound quality?

sony xb20 superb deep base, comfort, isolation. the xb40 is better but too bulky for my taste

Heh, well it is possible to control volume on the A40 if you use the attachment with the two 3.5mm jacks. But yea you can't take a call with it.

Has anyone tried these:http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/product...h-mic-reviews/

No volume control but it does have a call answer/end button. If these do work how is the sound quality?
I'll just repeat to stop you wasting your time: Nothing for the iPhone works.

You do realize that the S2m isn't specifically for Apple products. Klipsch outright says that they cannot guarantee that the S4i which does have an Apple remote will function correctly with non Apple hardware. They say simply to check your manuals for the S2m. I don't doubt that sound would work for the S2m what I want to know is if people can utilize the microphone or have any other issues with the S2m.

Last edited by shadow skill; 2010-07-05 at 23:45.

I've been using the bundled ones. A little chip of plastic came off the casing on the buds and eventually the buds came apart. But I've now superglued them back and everything is OK.

You do realize that the S2m isn't specifically for Apple products.
Does a bear crap in the woods? Yes. Some other phones with with iPhone headsets. But the N900 will not.

Klipsch outright says that they cannot guarantee that the S4i which does have an Apple remote will function correctly with non Apple hardware. They say simply to check your manuals for the S2m. I don't doubt that sound would work for the S2m
Do doubt. It won't work - a constant buzzing will be heard.

Last edited by punto; 2010-07-06 at 13:30.