Posts: 370 | Thanked: 443 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Italy
I can say that the device booted with the USB cable plugged in just issuing the
Code:
flasher3.0 -R
command. To be precise, it is the -R flag. If you don't send it, the device wont reboot and lets you play with flags and flasher.

When I wrote
Originally Posted by jurop88
and the device booted on its second try
I meant that on the first boot, it made the 'reboot after 3 seconds issue' again and I thought something was wrong with the device. In other posts I found that's a rather usual behaviour, so I tried to reboot again and on the second try the device booted reularly. At the end of the boot, my ubuntu pc (Athlos, btw) popped up two windows about the two cards inserted in Armis2, because the USB cable was still connected and it automounted the cards

Hi,

I just went through this same thing yesterday and today. I was not able
to get the N800 to boot up. I just exchanged it at Comp Usa. I had
bought the extended service plan.

I do not know how to flash the device and add lines of code in the
process. I hope the new one I got will not have this same problem.

If it does I will be getting a refund on it and go back to using my 770 100%
of the time. Since I don't know anything about computers, besides using
them, I will have no choice.

Back when I got the 770, I installed the FB reader. That was the first time
I installed software that did not have a "wizzard".

I have learned so very much reading these boards. But this problem was
just over my head.

JN

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2007 @ New York City
Still waiting from Palco.

Now they say it is a warranty repair but they are waiting for replacement units. So I wait.

YMMMV.

I brought the CompUSA replacement plan also, simply because I afraid of the famous WSOD that I had on my 770.

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2006 @ Macon, Georgia U.S.A.
Misery loves company, Adam in NYC. I had my new N800 for just a week when it went into "3 second endless reboot" mode. Damn frustrating! Tried some of the various fixes discussed here, with no success. So, I sent the unit to Palco in Alabama. A few days later, I checked the Nokia USA Repair Status website, and also got the "out of warranty" message (as you did with your problematic N800).
So, I promptly (& apoplectically) called Palco. A gentle southern lass named Patricia assured me the "out of warranty" status was a mistake - and that the N800 would be forwarded for repair. Well, that was ten days ago (2/12). Today, the Nokia USA repair site still shows my N800 as "out of warranty." I again talked to Patricia at Palco, and she politely informed that Nokia will be sending me a replacement tablet - but it might take a month!
I think Palco has been good about explaining what's going on. But I agree with some others on this forum - Palco doesn't want to mess with some new-fangled gadget with an embedded Linux OS. (They're MS, Novell network & cell phone people.) But Patricia mentioned some delays in getting replacement N800s from Nokia. She also mentioned that I should call Nokia customer service and attempt to expedite replacement. My question is: should I call Nokia & *****, or just shut-up and wait for a new N800?
The upshot to all this? I've fallen in love again with my 770! The N800 is very slick (when it's not in endless reboot mode) but it lacks the 60's retro spy gadget look & feel of the 770. And I really miss the sliding aluminum cover! The N800 just seems more fragile than the 770. Anyway, that's my two cents worth.
Peace, y'all!

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
A Couple of things I noticed after smoking 3 of them. and returning 2 of them. You can recover this. I am not sure if you are having the same troubles I had noticed but.

First of all endless reboot is a software issue and should be fixed by reflashing. The problem is that reflashing is what causes the 3 sec boot then off. It starts to power on, then dies. This is different from the endless reboot. This can also be recovered. I did this three times, and the first two I returned. I was experiencing oddness with flashing under linux (hanging flashing kernel) and windows would flash no problem. But niether would work.

What ultimately I found to be my problem, was that I have about 10 different USB cables. If I did not use my 770 or n800 cable, I had problems. Verify that you are using the correct cable for the device. Just because it fits in both ends does not mean it will work.

I am not saying this is everyones issue, but I have not had a single problem since I started only using the correct cable.

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2006 @ Macon, Georgia U.S.A.
Thanks for the tip, Penguinbait! After my replacement N800 arrives, I'll be sure to only use a Nokia-issue USB cable.
Take care,
Jim

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Well, add me to the list. The "reboot of life" it seems. I have read about setting a flag, but I am not using a Linux box. Actually I am on an Intel-Mac, and using the Nokia flasher. Is there a way to correct this or should I just go get a new tomorrow morning?

TIA

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Just use a Linux LiveCD - there's no need to take the N800 back for exchange.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Just use a Linux LiveCD - there's no need to take the N800 back for exchange.
Thanks for the somewhat, in my case, cryptic advise. As I stated many times before, I am on the user end of the spectrum when it comes to this environment. To just get a Linux LiveCD does not strike any bells with me. For the most part, if it is not something I can do within say, 30 mins to an hour, I simply do not have the time for it. Second, as I also mentioned previously, I am using a Mac which is not a Linux machine, so unless I was willing to install a virtualization software after paying for it, I am stuck again.

While I am sure that many to most where will understand and appreciate your assistance, I don't. I see it as you saying I need a communications solution and I say, just install a: AN-GRC/39 Terminal.

Once again, thanks for the help.

BTW: Took it back, got a new one.
Attached Images

Last edited by sapporobaby; 2007-03-17 at 12:25.