Seeing we will be able to upgrade to the upcomming 2008 OS in the next little bit, is there a way to overclock the CPU for the N800? This would mean installing (if room) a heatsink replacement for better cooling so that we can run as smooth as an N810 model? Also instructions to overclock or small program running in the background?

Anyone know if this is possible? A nice HowTo would be good.

Of course this would void your warenty for those who do not already know, this is for those whos warenty has expired or dont care of the potential damages.

From what i've read the N800 has the *SAME* CPU as the N810 and with the next firmware it will run at 400Mhz as well...

so it's been crippled. geez not the 486dx, 486sx days again. but then again the n800 wasn't blazingly fast. my video playback wasn't the smoothest unless it was optimized. just to save an hour on battery? but didn't different power states already fix that.

I think you are mis-understanding some things. The processors are the same. The ability to adjust the clocking of the processor properly are being built into the new LINUX kernel in OS2008. So until that time the processor doesn't run to the highest clocking level. At least that is what is sounds like if you look around.

Originally Posted by mykl99 View Post
I think you are mis-understanding some things. The processors are the same. The ability to adjust the clocking of the processor properly are being built into the new LINUX kernel in OS2008. So until that time the processor doesn't run to the highest clocking level. At least that is what is sounds like if you look around.
Excellent!

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Finland
How about memory then.. Doesnt N810 have more memory than N800?

Is N800 memory enought for OS2008..

It's the same..

Posts: 223 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ home
Looks the same to me: http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/plat...emo/index.html

At the bottom of that page there is a little chart comparing the 770, 800, and 810.

Look at memory

Is it the same with N810 and N800's processor?
I am not sure.From the website of TI:http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/wtb...contentId=4671
I find the possible frequency of OMAP2420 is 330MHz~1G Hz,there should be many models about OMAP2420,ther are all called 2420.
ref:http://focus.ti.com/pdfs/wtbu/TI_omap2420.pdf

Last edited by cyberboy; 2007-10-19 at 05:35.

I don't know the omap version of the ARM processor very well, but it's a common feature for ARM CPUs that you can run the frequency up and down almost as you like. At least for Samsung and Intel versions. There are for example lots of utilities around for ARM-powered Palm PDAs to fiddle with the frequency. Note that for Palms it's as common to want to _reduce_ the frequency (say, from 400MHz to 150MHz) as it is to increase it, because the higher frequencies usually result in higher battery drain. My understanding is that the omap has a good set of power-saving features (all of the ARM mobile CPUs have, to some extent), and that Nokia is getting better at it with the newer firmware versions. Which is probably why they now up it to 400MHz.

Tags
omap2420