Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Abiword work (for various values of "work") on my NaB00.
How do you install Abiword on a N800? I only got hold of 2.4.1 which gives me a 'incompatible with current software'??

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
I used this Rep

http://www.abisource.com/downloads/apt
distribution : mistral
components :user

I installed it and it runs quite well, but it does randomly crash. I wouldn't use it for critical work.

Yup, that's it. Installed now. Thanks!

Posts: 180 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Maine
Originally Posted by mobiledivide View Post
I used this Rep

http://www.abisource.com/downloads/apt
distribution : mistral
components :user

I installed it and it runs quite well, but it does randomly crash. I wouldn't use it for critical work.
Didn'rk for me. How do you open the gzip files? I managed to find a directory with the debs separated out (pool, I believe) and downloaded all of those but I am still missing libglade2 which is holding me up on gnumeric as well. There is some discussion of manually loading it but I can't find a version that the application manager will accept. I have double posted this in the hopes of getting an answer.

Fred

Fred, add the above to your Application Manager's catalogue. Then search for Abiword to install using the Application manager.

Originally Posted by ffarber View Post
Didn'rk for me. How do you open the gzip files? I managed to find a directory with the debs separated out (pool, I believe) and downloaded all of those but I am still missing libglade2 which is holding me up on gnumeric as well. There is some discussion of manually loading it but I can't find a version that the application manager will accept. I have double posted this in the hopes of getting an answer.

Fred
Did you grab the file from http://erinye.com/maemo/? I grabbed both Abiword 2.2.7 and more_gconv_modules and both installed fine for me. I don't have libglade2 installed (at least it doesn't show up in installed applications), so I don't know where that's coming from.

R.
==

Posts: 180 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Maine
Originally Posted by luketoh View Post
Fred, add the above to your Application Manager's catalogue. Then search for Abiword to install using the Application manager.
Now I get it. Iwas trying to make it harder than it is. I have now gotten both abiword (as described above) and gnumeric (by actually adding the maemo repository which I thought had already been added) to install.

I am ready to give it a go!!

Now we need a Microsoft Push email client.

Anyone?

Fred

I added the abiword package to my app manager using the url, distribution, and component as identified above, and I still get an error that some packages required are missing and it is that same file Fred had problems with libglade2-0.

I think I am doing this right, but it doesn't seem to be working for me.

Any ideas?

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
This is still too unstable to be usable imho. Without a proper word-processor the n770/800 remain more on the toy side than the enabler device side.
Comments?

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Toulouse, France
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Without a proper word-processor the n770/800 remain more on the toy side than the enabler device side.
I don't agree. It depends on what you want to use it for, of course, but I'd be surprised if there's much demand for mail merge on the internet tablet, for example, and you're never going to do much in the way of page layout on a 4" screen. For writing/editing, you can get a lot done with an ordinary text editor. I say this as someone who uses a word processor virtually every day.