Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
I'm in two minds about this...

Video Convert is an amazingly good program, with a nice and easy to learn user interface (I don't believe in "intuitive" user interfaces), it does its thing without a hitch and produces the output the user wanted.

But...

When a converter produces files that are actually larger than the Divx files it converts, I'm inclined to say: "Thanks, but I need the card space". A 704 MB Divx of "the African Queen" (480x352) topped off at over 1 GB for the N800 converted file (320x240), while VirtualDub gives me a file of around 350 MB for the same resolution. We could go on about the amazing advantages of high bitrates for video and sound, but the simple fact is that I can't see the former and don't really care about the latter.

I wonder if it would be possible, for the simpletons among us, to get an option to set a maximum file size, something I find much more important in a space-deprived mobile media player than home theatre-quality output. Or maybe a box that gives an educated guess of the size for various bitrates. Obviously, that would imply the possibility for the user to change the bitrates...
Funny. A second try, with the new version (fps set to 23.976 and double pass eliminated), gives a file of 445 MB. Still a bit high, but much more acceptable. However, I can't believe that merely doublepassing a file would more than double its size, so I'm assuming some optimizing has been going on, right?

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Funny. A second try, with the new version (fps set to 23.976 and double pass eliminated), gives a file of 445 MB. Still a bit high, but much more acceptable. However, I can't believe that merely doublepassing a file would more than double its size, so I'm assuming some optimizing has been going on, right?
No, i don't make optimizations: misteries of FFMPEG :-).
However, in the next version i can add the possibility to set the Video/Audio bitrate and i can show the estimated size of destination video.
For now you can change the bitrate editing the ini file.

Paolo

nice job! can you make it so it can convert via command line? I'd like to just write a script to download my shows and automatically convert them

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
Originally Posted by pmaxx69 View Post
However, in the next version i can add the possibility to set the Video/Audio bitrate and i can show the estimated size of destination video.

Paolo
That would be a nice option (show the estimated size of destination video).

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by pmaxx69 View Post

Paolo
That would make it perfect! I'll make do for now. Thanks. mate.

@pmaxx69

Do these videos converted with your program run well using the built in media player?

Originally Posted by Eng.Saad View Post
@pmaxx69

Do these videos converted with your program run well using the built in media player?
I have tested some videos converted with Video Converter in the built in media player without problems (Video: 784kbps, Audio: 128kbps).

Paolo

Originally Posted by rheve View Post
I already did using mencoder. I convert my daily tv shows in 400x240, original frame rate, 784kbps for video and 192 kbps for audio, and it runs very smoothly.
Can you send me a sample of settings that you use with mencoder? I want add support to this nice software (that i think is better than FFMPEG).

Paolo

@pmaxx69 thanks for the quick reply

I am new here so I have another question, since the built in media player is good for playing divx with resolution of 400x220 ,why we need mplayer?

Posts: 503 | Thanked: 267 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Eng.Saad View Post
@pmaxx69 thanks for the quick reply

I am new here so I have another question, since the built in media player is good for playing divx with resolution of 400x220 ,why we need mplayer?
1. CPU load is not uniform when playing video, built-in player may choke on some more complicated action scenes (usually on panning).
2. MPlayer loads CPU less, so in theory it is better for your battery and can play videos longer (I don't have any numbers, it would be nice if somebody did the tests and published results)
3. MPlayer is able to play videos with resolutions higher than 400x240 and as N800 has a very high quality hardware scaler (bicubic), using something like 512x288 looks a lot better on N800 screen.
4. MPlayer supports external subtitles

Also you can play quite a lot of divx/xvid videos using mplayer even without transcoding (you may observe some framedrops though).