Posts: 276 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Frankfurt, Germany
I followed the steps on page 6 in: Repartition the internal drive, but without the /opt partition. then selected ftp.debian.org/debian lenny as apt-source with: main non-free contrib and there you go...

i am seriously thinking about repartitioning. Was waiting to see when Nokia will release firmware...

Confirmed.

I downloaded the Sun Java SE for Embedded (ARMv6 jre 1.6_10 Headful)

Download it here

Just inflate the tar.gz on your PC and use "scp -r" to copy it to your N900. Stick a "ln -s" symlink in your /usr/local/bin (may need to edit your path in /etc/profile)

Used Netbeans to build a little swing gui test application. Copied the jarfile across, runs just fine.

It's only a 90-day evaluation jre, sadly...

Last edited by Dak; 2009-12-16 at 20:18.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Dak For This Useful Post:
I see that Sun requires royalties for embedded jre deployment on anything other than "general purpose" devices. The N900 is most certainly a general purpose computer, just like my linux PC, which we do not pay royalties for.

I have put this question to Sun. Will report back.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Dak For This Useful Post:
Here I am, using a simple java app to browse my N900 filesystem - this is my jre folder in /home/opt/java/jre

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Dak For This Useful Post:
will anyone of you be willing to see if this java app for HTPC will work with that your java. It is called PlaceShifter by sagetv.

WOW, Ok guys please please will this work on playing Ninja Video? Streaming? Please someone find this out. It would be much appreciated thanks!

@cenwesi - I got your PlaceShifter app running. Don't get too excited yet...it seems to use a bunch of native x86 shared libs, so there will probably be a loud bang when JNI tries to load them.

To test it, I need an example server to connect to....can you point me at one?

Last edited by Dak; 2009-12-16 at 22:04.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dak For This Useful Post:
omg...no way. It looks like it will work. once i get home i will create an account for you and give u access to see if u can pull up my recordings and movies

Originally Posted by Dak View Post

Just inflate the tar.gz on your PC and use "scp -r" to copy it to your N900. Stick a "ln -s" symlink in your /usr/local/bin (may need to edit your path in /etc/profile)
Hi!

Could you clarify this a bit....I'm a total n00b when it comes to Linux.