Active Topics

The apt-get framework screwed up while upgrading my power-kernel. In this case from 50 to 51 --- I assume it does this in small steps to keep it from being bad --- I am aware that 52 is out.

Anyways... after much cajoling, I have gotten the recovery kernel to boot and I can see the power 51 kernel in /boot/ of the device.

... so this means that I've got flasher working and that I can load the rescue OS just fine.

Now... what I want to know is: how do I get the power 51 kernel booting without blanking my device. From what I read, the flasher can be used to upload blank images and whatnot --- but given that the only thing is wrong is the kernel not booting and that I can boot the recovery OS ---

How do I use this to simply set the right kernel to load?

I would expect this to be something for the FAQ...

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by zBeeble View Post
The apt-get framework screwed up while upgrading my power-kernel.
Possible but not likely.

Now... what I want to know is: how do I get the power 51 kernel booting without blanking my device.
Start with sharing some error messages. Be precise and give them exactly as you find them.

There are only a few postings on KP to be found on TMO, that's true...

The Following User Says Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Anyways... after much cajoling, I have gotten the recovery kernel to boot and I can see the power 51 kernel in /boot/ of the device.

... so this means that I've got flasher working and that I can load the rescue OS just fine.
Having the kernel image in /boot means you have installed the kernel image for multiboot/u-boot. The "actual" kernel that boots must be on the kernel partition.

How do I use this to simply set the right kernel to load?

Here:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_f...rt_topic.21.29

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Yeah... I read that bit. Actually... I got a bit further after the post. It seems that the kernel is in /boot, but /usr/lib/modules/current (or was it /lib/modules/current) was a symlink to the old nokia kernel AFAICT. The modules directory for power51 was there but empty.

Assuming that power51 is in the boot flash position (which I can make it be so), I need to transfer the modules into that directory. To do that I need either USB networking or Wifi networking (or I suppose I could put it on a flash).

In the way of wifi networking is being able to type a '>' (it's in the instructions of the rescue kernel). How do I type a '>' in that linux console (I know how to type it when it's running normally --- that doesn't work).

In the way of the rest of it is: where do I separately download the kernel51 package?

what device node has the external flash on it?

In the way of the rest of it is: where do I separately download the kernel51 package?
modules
If I remember correctly with rescueOS you can also chroot to maemo.

ok. that is a handy tip (if I get that far). I'd have to mount more than root, tho, I expect.

What are the flash disk devices on the rescue os? Both external and internal...?

Tags
booingt, flasher, kernel