I'm an avid eBayer and have noticed an increasing trend of 770s on eBay. There's always one or two for sale and they sell sell sell!
At first i thought they must be hoaxes, which are all to prevalent these days but the feedback that the sellers are getting on the 770s are all positive!! So they're really being sold at reasonable prices. Just thought i'd bring this to everyone's attention.

I am quite certain they are all hoaxes. I'm also an avid eBay user and although I am not an expert what I have read is that there are several things to look for in a hoax.

1) The seller refuses to be contacted through Ebay's "ask seller a question". Instead they post a separate e-mail address. Why? because they hijacked the account and if you asked the seller a question it would all come crashing down so they go around eBay. That's why the feedback looks so good....because it's not really them!

or

2) When you contact them, they tell you they travel for work a lot so although it says Kansas they are really in Eastern Europe at the moment and have no access to Paypal. So they ask for a Western Union payment which is out of the scope of eBay. In most countries you don't need any proof of identity to pick up the money so it is sent to a fake name and the people take your money.

3) No photos of the box, just stock photos. They say that's because they don't have it yet but by the time you send the Western Union transfer, they will have it by then.

Just for fun I contacted 2 of these hoax sellers and following the script exactly, they did #1, #2, and #3 above.

Don't fall for it, these people are the scum of the earth and that's putting it mildly.

This is the exact reason why I have never been "smitten" with the eBay concept. It just doesnt interest me....

Last edited by TripleNickle; 2005-10-25 at 12:20.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'd suspected as much given the near-identical templates between the first reported 770 auction and the subsequent ones - - the first auction also magically disappeared several hours beforehand.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgecore For This Useful Post:
good thing some of us are patience enough to wait for the real mcoy!

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Originally Posted by orange-man
3) No photos of the box, just stock photos.
With all the developers documenting every step of their experience, I must have seen four or five photos already of the newly received device sitting on top of the box. I bet these photos will start showing up as pretend evidence that these ripoff scum really have a device.

Ebay Auction

1. Item allegedly in Redwood, California, USA
2. Seller registered in the UK
3. Price of auction in Australian $
4. However, he will sell it to you for $1200 USD
5. Seller states that he does not use his eBay email address.
6. Finally, he is selling for 1/3 of their retail value.

I really don't know how these auctions survive for so long. eBay will pull a dirty underwear or software download auction in a minute, but these seem to stay up until the end.

If you search for legitimate auctions, they seem to be going in the mid $400 range, which I think is reasonable for someone that wants it right away.

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Chicago, IL
I agree that these ebay hijackers are the scum of the earth. I feel bad for those who have their accounts taken over by such people.