Posts: 10 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ California, USA
I work for a company that writes software on the IBM AS/400. When we are on the road we use a program called mocha (http://www.mochasoft.dk/) that gives us the ability to work on our customer’s computer. I just bought my Nokia 770 from Comp USA last night and was playing around with it (so far ok, but it does reboot a lot). MochaSoft has a program that works for the NOKIA 9300/9500 but nothing listed for the 770. I’ve asked MochaSoft if they have a program for the Nokia 770, but the response I got back was that they do not support phone devices (to which I explained to them that is was not). Not knowing much about the language the Nokia uses, I was wondering if it is similar to the NOKIA 9300/9500?

Greg

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
nokia 9300/9500 use symbian operating system. 770 Uses Linux. Both use mainly c-based binaries. If they have linux version of mocha, then it should be quite possible for them to make a nokia 770 version.

I did find a linux version (tn5250.tar.gz) on their site. Would installing that file on the chip work? (I thought the file needed to end in .deb)

Greg

Last edited by gg222; 2005-12-06 at 18:02.

The Following User Says Thank You to gg222 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gg222
I did find a linux version (tn5250.tar.gz) on their site. Would installing that file on the chip work? (I thought the file needed to end in .deb)

Greg
A .deb file is just a way to package multiple files. The .tar.gz file on the mochasoft website is a binary, probably compiled for i386-compatible processors. The N770 uses an arm-compatible processor, so it will nog be able to run that binary.

Posts: 148 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Stimutax, AZ
A 5250 terminal emulator is already written for linux:
http://packages.debian.org/stable/net/tn5250

I downloaded the arm deb to my linux box and unpacked it:
ar -x tn5250_0.16.5-12_arm.deb
which resulted in two files. I unpacked data.tar.gz:
tar -zxvf data.tar.gz
which gave me all the install files. I then took the tn5250 file from the bin directory and the lib5250.so.0 file from the lib directory and placed the lib into /var/lib/install/usr/lib and the bin into ~/ on the 770.
After that I was able to see the help printout for the working 5250 client.

This may seem like a pain in the ***, but it goes to show how nice it is to have the power/repository of linux/opensource programs at your disposal. I would assume that someone will simply repackage the deb so it will do all this for you in the near future. (I would, but I don't know how to _yet_)

I'm going to have to learn linux I guess. I can put the files on the chip, but can't figure out how to input commands.

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ central georgia, usa
I get the impression that the program will have to be (at least) recompiled in order to include/use the "virtual keyboard" and "task controller" portions of Maemo...

On the bright side, TN5250 is bound to be an easier port than iSeries Access for Linux...

P

Originally Posted by gg222
I'm going to have to learn linux I guess. I can put the files on the chip, but can't figure out how to input commands.
Xterm is the "command box"

If it's not already there, check the wiki..

(or look for "bash" or "shell" ..)

Last edited by putkowski; 2005-12-10 at 15:41.

Posts: 148 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Stimutax, AZ
Originally Posted by putkowski
I get the impression that the program will have to be (at least) recompiled in order to include/use the "virtual keyboard" and "task controller" portions of Maemo...

On the bright side, TN5250 is bound to be an easier port than iSeries Access for Linux...

P
tn5250 runs in xterm, therefore no extra recompilation is required. it is already ported to arm linux. now, if someone wants to custom tailor a ui for tn5250, that's a whole different story.

Originally Posted by gultig
tn5250 runs in xterm, therefore no extra recompilation is required. it is already ported to arm linux. now, if someone wants to custom tailor a ui for tn5250, that's a whole different story.
Great news!!

I've thought about a new stumbling block for everything that comes from the PC world... what about those pesky "F1-F12" keys???

Especially in a program like tn5250 or tn3270 where they are used extensively. (not to mention their evil clones "F13-F24"...)

The virtual keyboard supports special characters but how much trouble will it be to poke the function keys?

paul