Notices

Originally Posted by ioan
here is what I did, and works perfect.
1. set the map to auto download
2. zoom in to max on the left upper corner of the region you want to download
3. go in download area and "view center" will show you the coordinates for that point.
4. do the same for the right lower corner.
5. select again "download region" and put the 2 sets of coordinates.
6. select the zoom levels.... and download.

I downloaded a BIG part of Oregon for the zoom levels from 4 to 16 (you can see all the streets and the names for the highways) in about 200 MB.
I have to study the code and maybe with help from gnuite I will make a windows app to download the maps... and then copy them on the card when you need them...

This is a great application, thanks gnuite!!
Thank you very much! I couldn't believe how stupid I was haha. I honestly didn't know what that top-left/bottom-right thing meant until know lol.

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
Wonderfull work !
Thanks a lot !
I have a little problem downloading routes : Error parsing GPX file
It might be due to accentuated letters (France sorry )
It would be nice to keep in memory the last addresses entered ...
It would be also very nice to interface that with the GPE Contact database ...
Would you like me to help you on this matter, I've already played with this database (phonelink) and I'm sure it would be a nice improvement ...

Thanks again for your great work

Fred

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
update : I have the same parsing problem using those :
Dublin, Ireland to Tralee, Ireland
so it might not be linked to accentuated letters ...

Fred

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Espoo, Finland
Great application! Really nice job gnuite.

I'm also getting the "Error parsing GPX file" when I try to download a route. For example "helsinki,fi" -> "espoo,fi" gives this error.

Is there a list of compatible GPS receivers somewhere or could you post what receivers you're using with the N770?

www.teemuharju.net

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
I am seriously impressed! What an excellent application. You could put the 00:00:00:00 as default gps and disable gps until gps value has been set. Also, the map download might be nice to be on by default.

Also, if you have a look at google maps terms and conditions, it would seem that you are indeed allowed to use those maps (for non commercial purposes). But, as you have done, I don't think it's legal to provide app that does that automatically. Are NASA maps for free? You could put an option for those. Or a default setting.

Anyway. Jut an idea. Kepp up the splendid work. That app totally rocks!

Originally Posted by teemu
Great application! Really nice job gnuite.

I'm also getting the "Error parsing GPX file" when I try to download a route. For example "helsinki,fi" -> "espoo,fi" gives this error.

Is there a list of compatible GPS receivers somewhere or could you post what receivers you're using with the N770?
I use the i-blue High Sensitivity Bluetooth GPS (I think gunite mentioned he uses the same one as well?)

that's simply great ! Thanks for your work.

I downloaded the program, since I don't have a GPS I set it to 00:00:00:00:00:00, set the URI as in the sample, and Voila! a map of the world appeared. I zoomed into San Antonio, Texas and right down to street level in my neighborhood. I was amazed! But once I ended the app, and later ran it again, it does not work. All that I get is a progress bar saying "downloading maps" but it is just a black screen. I can zoom up or down but still only see a black screen. I tried removing, and reinstalling the app, with no success. Any suggestions, Ireally want this to work. I am OS X savy, but limited Linux knowledge. Thanks.

Originally Posted by kutibah
1. It says flite was not found? How do I set my classpath?
(My Java roots showing themselves - I meant PATH, not classpath.) Modify /etc/profile to add the following text to the end of the definition of PATH: /var/lib/install/usr/bin

2. Cool, it worked when I zoomed in this time. Strangely, it didn't before. I placed the directory for the maps on the memory card. The maps should be saved there so I can access them every time I open Maemo Mapper, correct? Or do they always have to be re-downloaded?
Maps are downloaded into whatever directory you specify in the "Maps" tab of the Settings dialog. This defaults to "/home/user/apps/maemo-mapper", but you can change it to whatever you want. To use a subdirectory of the MMC called "maemo-mapper", change the path to "/media/mmc1/maemo-mapper". Maemo Mapper will automatically create the directory if it doesn't exist. You do not have to download each map more than once.

I have a quick suggestion with map downloading. Is it possible in the next update to have a feature where you can download the maps by Zip/City/County/State/Country? It would be cool if for example I can download the enter maps for the USA with one click. It's kind of confusing on how to do this with the Latitude/Longitude coordinates?

Thanks again for the excellent application!
This would be a little difficult, because Maemo Mapper doesn't inherently have the ability to convert Zip/City/etc. to latitude/longitude. Instead, you can use Google Maps or Google Earth to get the Latitude and Longitude. The easiest way (that I know of) in Google Maps is to do the following:

1. Enter the location (e.g. "Seattle, WA") into Google Maps and let it map your requested location.
2. Pan the map [em]just slightly[/em].
3. Right-click the "Link to this page" link and copy the URL. It should look something like this:
Code:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Seattle,+WA&ll=47.60651,-122.330532&spn=0.092127,0.143509&om=1
Buried in that string is the substring "&ll=", and after that is the latitude and longitude.