Closed Thread
Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
Ok then, must have missed the post about the fix and only remembered the one about the break.

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Holland
I am probably not the first to mention this, but what about a Harmattan-UI mockup for the CSSU? I know that lots are not a fan of it, but it would be cool to replicate this and would make a good addition IMO. For example:

- The application launcher would not be too much trouble if you keep 3 rows (instead of 4) and use the existing s-anna icon pack with CSSU-enabled portrait mode in this menu.

- The task switcher is already there, and with forced autorotation (CSSU-enabled) it will work and look almoast the same as with the Harmattan UI. Under medium to high load I find the task switcher sometimes reverting to landscape unwillingly, I am not sure if improvements on this can be viable for the effort.

- The notifications screen would be troublesome to create, but not impossible. It coule be an app showing the latest updates like missed calls, conversations etc. but this would be pretty versitile. An other way around could be to create some kind of QBW instance (possibly in portrait by default) wich shows this kind of information, but then you would see hildon-desktop and you might wanna revamp it so it looks better in portrait. In this case you might only want one homescreen.
Or you could scrap this part, since most notifications show up in the dashboard along with the running apps.

- the swipy gestures to achieve this along with the effects could be a headache too, but it doesen't seem impossible. Of course, the rest of Maemo5 should not be sacrificed for this and could work as an alternative way to navigate through the N900.

What do you think?

regards

@blipnl [coders needed]. All ideas are good. but if no one has time to implement it...

Originally Posted by blipnl View Post
I am probably not the first to mention this, but what about a Harmattan-UI mockup for the CSSU? I know that lots are not a fan of it, but it would be cool to replicate this and would make a good addition IMO. For example:

- The application launcher would not be too much trouble if you keep 3 rows (instead of 4) and use the existing s-anna icon pack with CSSU-enabled portrait mode in this menu.

- The task switcher is already there, and with forced autorotation (CSSU-enabled) it will work and look almoast the same as with the Harmattan UI. Under medium to high load I find the task switcher sometimes reverting to landscape unwillingly, I am not sure if improvements on this can be viable for the effort.

- The notifications screen would be troublesome to create, but not impossible. It coule be an app showing the latest updates like missed calls, conversations etc. but this would be pretty versitile. An other way around could be to create some kind of QBW instance (possibly in portrait by default) wich shows this kind of information, but then you would see hildon-desktop and you might wanna revamp it so it looks better in portrait. In this case you might only want one homescreen.
Or you could scrap this part, since most notifications show up in the dashboard along with the running apps.

- the swipy gestures to achieve this along with the effects could be a headache too, but it doesen't seem impossible. Of course, the rest of Maemo5 should not be sacrificed for this and could work as an alternative way to navigate through the N900.

What do you think?

regards
I don't want to change the N900 to the N9,I like it how it is. The CSSU isn't bringing Harmattan to the N900, it's fixing problems and adding functionality

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Is there a way to lock the orientation into portrait mode?

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Poland, Częstochowa
Originally Posted by ThePooBurner View Post
Is there a way to lock the orientation into portrait mode?
currently not, mainly there is a problem with hildon-dekstop

The Following User Says Thank You to pawelstryju For This Useful Post:
Posts: 279 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
I don't want to change the N900 to the N9,I like it how it is. The CSSU isn't bringing Harmattan to the N900, it's fixing problems and adding functionality
I by no means want to make the N900 a N9, but we can make it somewhat more functional. It's not harmattan that I want to bring to our N900s but some useful things it has in the UI. By the way, CSSU also brought us more than just funcionality, like effects just to name one. And it would certainly look good too.

But thanks for the thoughts.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blipnl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
I see the N9/Harmattan as a step back from the N900 UI. I'd prefer a swipe in Harmattan take you straight to the task switcher, and have the 4 quick launch icons docked to the bottom of the switcher, with a task launcher/app drawer in the middle.

Harmattan eschewed widgets, which I see taking alot of usefullness from the device. How easy is it to check weather, individuals' online status, proc speed, or other "at a glance" info from our N900s on an N9?

I see the Notifications/Activity homescreen is a glorified widget, but a good one. Maybe we could design a fullscreen widget that accepts FB, Twitter, IM, and SMS notifications that, when selected, open the accompanying app.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
The Events home screen can show weather and other "at a glance" information the same way the lock screen does. You can plug data into it just fine.

You also do realize that tapping on each notification will bring you into the respective app for actioning the event?

The UI with Harmattan on the N9/N950 is an END USER product. Quite frankly, most users don't give a flying **** about processor speeds. It's controlled by a speed stepping governor and does a better job than you can.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hawaii For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pali View Post
My open source clone of Nokia proprietery OSSO Calculator is ready for next CSSU update. I think I fixed all bugs. Source code is on CSSU gitorious: https://gitorious.org/community-ssu/osso-calculator
any images or explanation? thanks

Closed Thread

Tags
community ssu, f**k nokia, fremantle, maemo 5, nokia-who?, portrait mode, rotate, task-switcher, update, upgrade