Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
It's still a bit of a hack (I've made progress on interfacing in an OO way to libvala from Java, but it's not usable yet), but code complete now contains local variables, type information, restrict-as-you-type and restrict-based-on-preceding-characters and pretty icons as you get in Java:

All pushed up to my branch, and this'll probably become the trunk of Valable in the next couple of days once some Launchpad admin gets taken care of.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
More spam from me about the latest push up to my branch. Some bugs fixed with the recompilation of projects on start-up, and I've done a first pass over the implementation of the sparkling new outline view:

Bundyo, since I couldn't get Monodevelop working - what's missing from Valable which monodevelop does? Would be good to have feature parity before polishing the features ;-)

PS. Interestingly (FSVO "interesting"), that screenshot also shows a minor issue with keyword detection, in that "set_contents" should be just "set_contents"; but "set" is a keyword in Vala.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Like you don't have enough to do, but...

What about a 15 minute vala intro session at the summit?

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Probably nothing Though Monodevelop didn't got fully working anyway (no working code completion if there are big VAPI files in there). The code browser is a little strange - it doesn't show the current file but instead the VAPI files. I'm using it more like a reference

Originally Posted by brontide View Post
Like you don't have enough to do, but...

What about a 15 minute vala intro session at the summit?
It's a good idea. I don't know the language well enough myself at the moment, and my Hildon-based apps with it have been too noddy to release; however I'd be happy to help out anyone (Bundyo? Tak?) who does lots of Vala development with a tooling demo.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Cologne, Germany
Seconded. I'm currently trying to learn/use vala as well and imho this would be the killer language for the tablet (python fans keep calm..).
I'd volunteer, but I'm a java/C# guy. Related, but different in too much things and I'll probably fail to become a guru in the next 2 month..

Any takers though?

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I don't do lots I have two small apps, veeery small . I'm foreign to GTK too and i keep meeting with the need of a X VAPI. However, this can't be done without a simple additional parser to at least specify which function is in which header (since vapigen doesn't bother to specify it). So I'm just beginning Maybe I'll have something to talk about in September, but i can't tell for sure now.

EDIT: Forgot to tell i'm all for a Vala talk and how it can help the tablet development evolve (not by me though ).

Last edited by Bundyo; 2008-07-27 at 19:26.

Originally Posted by fpp View Post
It would be great (at least for brace-challenged coders :-) to have a python-to-vala translator+compiler. Doesn't look totally impossible, either...
Check out Genie. It's an alternate front-end language to Vala, compiled using the same compiler, with a Python-esque syntax.

Woo, I have genie without even knowing it - my vala compiler turned out to be new enough, so I can write Genie programs without installing anything extra! Just start writing code with a .gs file extension.

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
Ok, help? Monodevelop failed miserably on Ubuntu. Eclipse has no clue how to plug in valable. vala won't install on the tablet 'cause it needs c-compiler which isn't available.

Any clues or should I start learning in joe and valac on the desktop?