Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
How do I update?
Code:
devel-su
zypper ref
zypper up

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Thanks! However, another issue that just came up (unrelated to the update, I haven't run it yet): the touchscreen on my Pro1 completely stopped working this afternoon. Tried rebooting, still nothing. I can do almost nothing on the phone - except I can access the terminal (hooray for alt+tab switcher allowing you to open an app directly from the lockscreen). Are there any useful commands I could run to try and determine whether this is a software or hardware problem? (really hoping for the former, seeing as how long I had to wait to get this device in the first place)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
I haven't heard of any similar issues so far. I guess if I was in your situation and was on the verge of updating before noticing this issue, I would do it anyway and see if it improves the situation.

If it doesn't, then maybe check journalctl or logcat to fish for errors. But since I usually don't know where to look, I would certainly start by flashing the TWRP image to see if the touch screen works in TWRP. If it does, you've got an answer and it's a software issue. If I'm not mistaken, you should be able to flash back the SFOS hybris-boot.img boot image without touch input, so no dead end. Then back to journalctl/logcat to see what could be the software issue. At worst, you could backup SFOS in TWRP and flash a new fresh SFOS image, or even test Android, you'd still have your backup available if you want to go back.

Also, do you have SSH access to the device at the moment? This would be a good safety net if you could access the terminal from your computer without tinkering with the GUI.

If touch does not work in TWRP, you won't be able to do much in TWRP as far as I understand, unless there are command lines for all TWRP functions?

If it turns out to be an hardware issue (no touch input in TWRP), maybe head over the Discord server and ask someone in the #Pro1 channel: there are some people there who might know if there are some hardware connections to check inside the device. But in that case, best contact F(x)tec first to ask them for permission to try to open your phone yourself before sending it back for replacement.

Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
Code:
devel-su
zypper ref
zypper up
I was specifically told by adam to use zypper dup.

The difference is
"up" = upgrade only,
"dup" = dist-upgrade with far deeper possible changes.
But for this upgrade, i also did "up" first (in error) and then "dup" with no additional changes and everything working.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Just curious, is your issue solved taixzo?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Just curious, is your issue solved taixzo?
So I was out of town the past two days. I left the Pro1 powered off and swapped my sim card into my Xperia X instead (which meant I couldn't take pictures, but oh well). When I got home just now, I powered on the Pro1 and the touchscreen is working again! Unfortunately I still have no idea what went wrong, so I don't know how to prevent it from happening again. But hooray, I have my main phone back!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Just received my Pro1 yesterday ! (June 2019 preorder)

I immediately installed Sailfish on it. A big thanks to TheKit, MisterMagister and Piggz for the amazing port !
Thanks also to Kabouik for this thread and the detailed procedure to flash it.

Some feedback about the installation/usage so far:
* I have not been able to do the step to unlocked the bootloader.... before it was not locked! The guide said "Pro¹ units shipped by F(x)tec after 2019/11/19 have their bootloader locked. " I am not sure if they changed this volontarily (I understood it was needed for some Android security compliance) or by mistake and if I am the only one ?

* I got the error at the step about formating the data partition. The EXT4 -> EXT2 -> EXT4 seems to have solved it. However I still got the same error about the /vendor partition (I took pictures of the display if someone wants details on this point). I looks like it didn't impact the installation of sailfish which seems to works (but I have not yet tested with a sim card).

* I couldn't find my USB/SDcard adapter yesterday, so I transfered the installation files through USB as you mentionned, and it worked flawlessly. I have some issue to use the sdcard. I since was able to get access to a PC with SDcard so I formated one as VFAT on PC and plugged it in the phone. Sailfish couldn't mount it first, so I formated it inside sailfish which seems to have worked, and trying to mount it then freezed the phone. After reboot trying to mount it again doesn't mount it correctly. I think I remembered some discussion about this, but have not yet found it. I will need to dig deeper in the forum, and try using command line to get more feedback (there is a symlink "/media/sdcard" to "/run/media/nemo" but nothing in the nemo subdir). I need to solve this first to be able to import my backup from my current Jolla1, before switching to this device.
EDIT : there were some errors in dmesg for mmc related to "switching to high speed" or something like that (didn't copy the message... have to try again when I have some time). That was with a 32GB card, not sure which class. I tried again with an older 4GB card that worked. So that part is "solved" for now, as I could use it to restore a backup.

* About the hardware keyboard (I have the QWERTY), the layout selected is "English (US)", and I also have "English, Français" for on screen Text Input. I am not sure if there was something to change/add here, but I don't get how to get the "/" character for example. All key modifiers (CTrl, Corner up-right arrow, Fxtec logo, Alt) still output the simple "p" letter on the same key. I just found pressing the "Sym" key alone outputs the "/". So it looks like I have not the correct mapping. I have to dig the forum also for this, as I am sure it has already been explained here.

* It looks like there is no double-tap to wake. I don't remember if I need to activate it somehow or not. I also kind of remember some trouble with something like this that was disabled by Fxtec to avoid unresponsive touch with Android, but not sure if Sailfish is also impacted. I also have to check if mce can enable the "glance" screen when taking the phone out of the pocket as it was possible with the Jolla1. This second one should be quick to try.

In short, I have so far tested audio (speakers and headphone), video, wifi, terminal, photos. I now need some time to complete the sdcard setup, and test cellular and bluetooth. Looks good so far !

I have a lot to read (again) to catch up with the lucky ones who got their device a long time ago Next in the line after completing the basics to switch to Pro1 as main phone, will be trying LXC and flatpacks. Also take a look at the FM radio to find if an app exists or if it could be "easy" to make one.

Thanks again once more to the porters, documenters and app developers that helped make switching the Pro1 to sailfish as easy and with so much potential !

Last edited by Zeta; 2020-08-05 at 22:13.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Double-tap to wake in Sailfish was disabled at the same time as Android. They said it was temporary but I haven't heard any updates on that since.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Thanks a lot for the feedback, glad you got your unit!

Just a quick reply for now: you have the right layout, / and ? have been moved to SYM and Shift+SYM to free the third and fourth level on p and l keys, which are normally used for other characters on us-intl.

I remember this was discussed because it conflicts with what is printed of the keys and makes it less discoverable by new users, and a bit inconsistent, but ease of use on the longer term was privileged. / is accessible with no modifier for instance, which makes it closer to a full size layout.

Double-tap to wake was disabled by F(x)tec indeed (temporarily, until they find a fix, but not sure if someone is actively working on it) because it caused some freezing issues with the digitizer (in Android, I think), but I believe this is at a lower level and therefore can't be enabled on SFOS that easily. Not the same use case, but opening the keyboard or hitting Escape on a open keyboard should wake the screen, although the Escape wake-up is not always very responsive for me.

Sneak peak works (or at least it did in December, I recorded it in a video about Linux chroot).

Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
you have the right layout
Perfect !

Sneak peak works (or at least it did in December, I recorded it in a video about Linux chroot).
Indeed, it works ! Took some time to find again the magic command :
Code:
mcetool --set-low-power-mode=enabled
followed by a reboot of the device.

Thanks again Kabouik for the help !

I finished to setup the Pro1 the next day, and it is now my daily driver.
I am impressed how smooth the port is. Cellular data, calls & SMS, BT (music only, not yet tried calls) all works perfectly.

Two minor issues I have not yet solved are first a problem with MMS : That would not be the first time Sailfish have issues with MMS, but I got some permissions error in the log so I have opened an issue (https://github.com/sailfish-on-fxtec...g-t5/issues/42) to check if that is only on my side.

The other one, that is problably on the sailfish side and not the port, is that the homescreen doesn't like screen rotations while in an app. It is easy to reproduce: open 4 apps, in homescreen in landscape. Then enter one of the app, switch back to portait, return to homescreen => it doesn't update the layout, so tries to show the 4 app widget on a single line, but only the 2 in the middle fit the screen.
I am not sure where this one should be reported (and first where to seach if it has already been reported/solved ...).

Anyway, really good port !

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:

Tags
fxtec pro1, sailfish os