Google Maps has been updated since I installed it. But I don't know how to download the updated version. Any help? Thanks.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
There's a Google Maps app for maemo?

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
There's a Google Maps app for maemo?
No, the palm version....

Yea, I went to the website and all I could download was the .jad version. If anyone can find the .prc (palm) version in a direct download that would be nice.

Try this link:
http://www.google.com/gmm/GoogleMaps.prc
It will re-direct to the actual version (currently v2.0.2.0), but should get you a GoogleMaps.prc file. Alternatively, if you use e.g. 'wget' with that link, it'll probably result in a file with the name of 'GoogleMaps.prc?source=gmmdesktop'. Just rename it (use '' quotes, or backslash the question mark) to GoogleMaps.prc before installing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Why would you use Google Maps for Palm on an N8*0, when Maemo Mapper is available? It will get the same maps, as well as many other maps, and display them far better.

Why use Google Maps? There could be several answers to that, but I think one of them is simply "because we can!"

Well, I guess that's a good enough reason, but Maemo Mapper works much better for me. Google Maps is ok on a Palm, but it's far behind what is possible with Maemo.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
One thing better about the Palm version. It automatically downloads new tiles, nice zoom in and zoom out, does not need a huge memory card, low quality so good for slow internet connection, simple to use, legal to use, etc...

Obviously MM is "better" because it has GPS, but if Google released Google Maps for the n8x0 with GPS and an option for cached maps (like the iPhone) i would use that any day.

You don't need GPS to use Maemo Mapper. It works fine without it, and uses the same maps the Palm version uses, if you point it to that repository. You do need to give it the zoom levels you want, but that's not hard, and I think essential. You don't have to use a memory card, you can download the maps to internal memory. Same maps, just a better interface.

Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
One thing better about the Palm version.
Obviously I'm a little biased, and I am not at all trying to say that Maemo Mapper is better than Google Maps, but for the record, Maemo Mapper can do all of those things that you mentioned:
It automatically downloads new tiles
So does Maemo Mapper.

nice zoom in and zoom out
Maemo Mapper's zoom is hardware-controlled, which in my opinion is nice.

does not need a huge memory card
Maemo Mapper can operate without a backing map database (i.e. zero disk usage). It still caches maps in-memory, though, for quick access.

low quality so good for slow internet connection
Maemo Mapper has a "double pixel" mode which basically shows half the resolution (and thus uses a quarter of the bandwidth), which I think maps exactly to the Palm emulator's resolution.

(Maemo Mapper still uses as much screen as it's given, though, unlike the Palm emulator, so if you're so inclined, you can consider that a negative since that technically requires more bits.)

In addition, Maemo Mapper gives you more control over which zoom levels you want to view and download, so technically you can go beyond the "double pixel" option to quadruple or 8x viewing for even more bit-efficient usage.

simple to use
This is (of course) subjective, but I think Maemo Mapper is pretty easy to use, even if it's not to the level of Google's standards.

legal to use
Maemo Mapper uses OpenStreetMap.org maps by default, which is perfectly legal and not even against their policy. In fact--kudos to them--they actually went out of their way to provide a Maemo-Mapper-compatible web interface.

It is true that Maemo Mapper can be configured to access maps in a way that may violate some services' terms of use, but just because it can doesn't mean that it must.

Obviously MM is "better" because it has GPS, but if Google released Google Maps for the n8x0 with GPS and an option for cached maps (like the iPhone) i would use that any day.
Honestly, so would I, as long as it didn't require a constant internet connection. I wrote Maemo Mapper some two-and-a-half years ago because there was a clear gap in the market. There are a couple of new players in the game nowadays, but unfortunately none of them is Google.

Tags
garnet, palm