Active Topics

Has anyone tried the tiny Freedom Keychain GPS?
Most interested in combination with N800 and OS2008.
I did a search in the forums and didn't find the Freedom models.

It appears they have two models now: Original, and "2000".
http://www.freedominput.com/site/ind...=96&Itemid=106

I like how it is very tiny and I can just leave it on my keys.

Unless you happen to carry your keys in your outer coat pocket, and place them on the dashboard whenever driving a car, "just leave it on the keys" is not gonna happen, it you want reasonable reception...

The Following User Says Thank You to sevo For This Useful Post:
I don't know that I agree with your point about reception Sevo. While I don't specifically have experience with this brand of receiver, I have used several SiRF Star III receivers, and the reception is excellent. For example; the unit that I currently use stays shut in the ashtray of my Jeep,is only out for the occasional charge, and gets better reception from its spot IN MY DASHBOARD than my N810 on a clear day with no obstructions.

On a unit this small, I would be more concerned with battery life...anyone with any real-life experience with one of these?

I've got the holux m1200 and I have it on my keys. It is the size of a bic lighter, has 15 to 20 hours of battery life when being used and gets reception on the 2nd floor of an 8 floor office building. It works easily though my clothing while in my car as well. I'd recommend it especially at $60 shipped.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blackoper For This Useful Post:
I have the Freedom GPS. I would say that basically, if you want it on your keychain, you'll probably want to get a fix BEFORE you start the car. Once you get your satellite fix there should be no issues with having a signal from that. I actually have a "quick-release" keychain that when you push in the button, the two pieces separate. My GPS and USB flash drive are on one end and keys on the other, for this sort of thing anyway.

I've never let the battery die but I've probably had it on for 8 hours or so with no issues, don't know how long it'll actually last.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jhoff80 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
I've never let the battery die but I've probably had it on for 8 hours or so with no issues, don't know how long it'll actually last.
The specs say 10 hrs.

I use the freedom mini gps the first version not the newest one but i think its the one you are talking about and first i tought it was too small to get good reception , Boy i was wrong it gets a fix really fast and it is on my keychain getting an awesome reception i really recomend it dude. the only thing i dont like is the battery in it is not user replaceable. In the second version the battery is user replaceable. Just my two cents(and sorry for the bad english)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LongoriaKAt For This Useful Post:
The keychain claims -159db tracking, which is similar to the Global Top I have and some other models. It works in the middle of the front seat floor in my compact. Or on my desk 6 feet from the window AFTER it has locked once. Sensitivity varies, many are in the -130s or less and they won't, but some have other features (e.g. my insensitive Garmin 5Hz will track two WAAS satellites at once and computes error).

The Following User Says Thank You to tz1 For This Useful Post:
I don't know if this helps but I use a freedom bt keychain with my blackberry curve and it works flawlessly. I purchased it from amazon.

I bought the gps 2000 and it's amazing!
In my winter coat pocket it gives me constant signals. I always get a fix before putting it in my pocket. Battery is very good. I use it all day long and the battery never runs out. Nokia should work with whoever makes these batteries. We need that kind of battery life on the Nxx series. I picked up one unit on line for $80 and $4 shipping.

Dan