Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
Really, how so? What were the signs?

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
I didn't see the N810 'replacing' the N800 in any way. The slide out keyboard was just a conformist thing in my view. Its been around for a while in various cell phone/pda formats. recent example: HTC6800 from Bell Canada.

I specifically bought the N800 'because' it didn't use the ol qwerty in hardware and because of the dual sd slots .....and because it wasn't a cell phone too.

Back on key topic here, I was personally promoting the N800 to a group of Buddhists as a mobile devotional tool to use with their spiritual videos, audio files and various images of their teachers etc.
The price point for the N800 now at about $250ish was perfect and the device showed them great potential as well for those that were traveling(ie ashrams and yoga centers) because of the wi-fi at hotels etc.

Again this speaks to our other discussion threads about realistic supported lifespans of these products. I mean please! The N800 is hardly a year old product. That's disgraceful if they have already discontinued.

Coming back to my salesmanship with the Buddhist community I know. Nokia in their fickle and fast forward manner here are missing out on the fruits of the 'paradigm' they were apparently cultivating with this product.

I might have had anywhere from 20- 200 units sold for them in short term if the group really identified with this wonderful tool in a context they could really use. The numbers could have been much bigger, depending on the snowball effect.

So, people like me who were setting up sales for no other reason than sincere interest in our platform and product will back off completely. and drop any interest in such efforts. GOOD WORK NOKIA. 'you just killed your free sales force.'

....crap.... now to find a better supplier.....oh where is that HP link?......hmmmm....grmbl grmbl......windows mobile blah....apple makes me choke on the seeds!....lost to more product hunting.

its a great product... but a $200 n810 would be fine!

It wasn't obvious at all that the N800 should be dropped just because the N810 came out. As has been said above, the one doesn't replace the other, and we were all busy back then pointing out how the two covered a different feature set.

In short, no reason to ditch the N800 production. Palm, for example, never ditched a model just because they started producing a new one, even with overlapping feature sets - the individual models all got a lifetime of up to several years (good for me, or I wouldn't have been able to buy a T3 when I did.. and without it I wouldn't have become a Palm customer, the newer models didn't appeal to me.)

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Finland
Well if you are familiar with Nokia's way to sell products i.e. mobile phones, it's not a miracle. N810 has been developed on the basis of N800, so there is no reason why to continue manufacturing the old product. That's just the way it is.

N800 price was intentionally reduced just a few weeks before N810 hit the market, so that people would buy the old equipment away.

I really can't blame Nokia for this, cos' that's the way to make money for the shareholders. And if you compare this action i.e. to Apple - it's all the same.

But I agree that there is a certain kind of philosophical difference between N810 and N800, that might mislead people to think N800 would continue.

For the future: it's absolutely sure that next Nokia's ITT model will replace N810.

You can still get N770's. So I'm sure you will be able to get a n800 for at least a couple more months. I think I'm going to buy one for my kids grandma (my mom).

I'll set it up before hand. That way we can email or video chat at any time with no problem. And it's totally easy to use.

As for the n810, it's soon to be replaced by that new black model. I expect n800's to drop to $150, n770 gone for good, n810's to drop to $250 and the new one on top at $350. Where's the harm in that? One SD slot? Buy a card with twice the capacity. Who cares?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
This topic again???

Don't confuse a change in purchasing policy by retailers with discontinuation of devices.

I'm not saying either is happening, but still...

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
the individual models all got a lifetime of up to several years.)
I think that, in general, those days are gone.

Originally Posted by nahkiainen View Post
Well if you are familiar with Nokia's way to sell products i.e. mobile phones, it's not a miracle. N810 has been developed on the basis of N800, so there is no reason why to continue manufacturing the old product. That's just the way it is.

N800 price was intentionally reduced just a few weeks before N810 hit the market, so that people would buy the old equipment away.

I really can't blame Nokia for this, cos' that's the way to make money for the shareholders. And if you compare this action i.e. to Apple - it's all the same.

But I agree that there is a certain kind of philosophical difference between N810 and N800, that might mislead people to think N800 would continue.
Is this speculation, fact or conjecture? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I would like to understand the basis of your statement. That "Apple does it, so Nokia does it too" argument doesn't fly with me, and it is typical for companies to drop the price of one product when an advanced model comes along is common sense.

The difference between the N800 and N810 lies in what the target audience want -- built-in GPS and a hardware keyboard, smaller form factor and a miniSDHC slot instead of 2 full-sized SDHC slots. It is inconclusive that the N800 will be discontinued just because of this. If this were the case, then people would be quick to point out that Apple is discontinuing the ipods and the ipod shuffle because of the iPod Touch. Clearly that is not the case, and has not been for years, because Apple knows that the some market segments are prepared to trade bulk for capacity.

The N800 might be discontinued, but not for the reasons you cite.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Well, Nokia sells more phone models than just one, so why not two (or more) tablets?

But I agree that there is a certain kind of philosophical difference between N810 and N800, that might mislead people to think N800 would continue. For the future: it's absolutely sure that next Nokia's ITT model will replace N810.
That's plain dumb IMO. Who would take seriously platform with just one model? Nokia needs more models and it needs them yesterday.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
This topic again???

Don't confuse a change in purchasing policy by retailers with discontinuation of devices.

I'm not saying either is happening, but still...

I think that, in general, those days are gone.
Those days were gone 15 years ago