Active Topics

Notices

I still seem to be having issues with the bluetooth toggling. Doesn't work until I install bluezwitch, add it to the desktop and then toggle - then the FM widget notices the change in connectivity and shows the enabled image.

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
Is this still being worked on? I like it but it's real fiddly to press the +/- keys to change the frequency, and those keys take ages to respond. Anyway to have a button to open the scrollbar for picking frequncies as well as the +/-?
Yes, released version 0.2.1 today.

BTW: Frequency switching is much faster when the transmitter is turned off.

Also, what's the button on the top left, next to the frequency?
It has no functionality in the current version other than showing that the transmitter is on or off. I am planning to add frequency presets next. Maybe I will use this button to switch between presets. The middle of the top row could be used to open the original transmitter dialog where you can change the frequency with a scrollbar. I just need to find a way to open that dialog from FFM.

Originally Posted by mehulrajput View Post
Thanks for this great widget. Can you add routing the incoming calls to "fm" when fm is switched on. And when it is switched off, the call should go normally.
This sounds like the functionality from FM CarKit.

As already mentioned this doesn't seem to be a trivial change so don't expect this in the near future. My spare time is rather limited.

Last edited by percy; 2011-03-17 at 08:43. Reason: typo

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to percy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hawaii View Post
I still seem to be having issues with the bluetooth toggling. Doesn't work until I install bluezwitch, add it to the desktop and then toggle - then the FM widget notices the change in connectivity and shows the enabled image.
Hmm, that's strange. It seems the basic communication via dbus is working otherwise I wouldn't receive the state change for bluetooth.

What I am doing to switch bluetooth is done in 2 steps.

On startup of FFM I get the so called DefaultAdapter via dbus. You can do this on the command line with mdbus.py:

Code:
Nokia-N900:/home/user/MyDocs# python mdbus.py -s org.bluez / org.bluez.Manager.DefaultAdapter
op'/org/bluez/920/hci0'
Then I use this path to turn bluetooth on and off. Try this on the command line if FFM doesn't work:

Code:
Nokia-N900:/home/user/MyDocs# python /home/user/MyDocs/mdbus.py -s org.bluez /org/bluez/920/hci0 org.bluez.Adapter.SetProperty Powered True
This is the same that Bluezwitch is doing. The only difference between both applications is that I am using QDBus while Bluezwitch is using GDBus (or whatever it is called in GTK).

Sorry but there is not much I can do about this.

Released version 0.2.1 with support for FM Boost. Use the configuration settings of the widget to activate or deactivate it and make sure package FM Boost is installed.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to percy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 663 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australia (Melbourne/vic) / Lebanon (Zgharta/north)
thanks mate, i can assure you than now its staying on my screen .

Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
Ok, just installed the update. I can confirm that the toggling of stations is much, much faster with it turned off, which is fine. But would it be possible to implement the scrolling mechanism that you get from the drop-down status menu for changing frequency? If you need to jump from, say, 95.3 to 98.2 then you either spend a long time tapping the + button or you use the drop down menu anyway, neither of which is great if you're driving. What would be nice would be tapping the frequency number above the power button opens the scrolling menu.

The bluetooth comes on even if bluezwitch isn't on the desktop, so that's not a universal problem.

One problem i did find - when i updated it, it installed a new widget under the old one, rather than replacing it.

Thanks for the great widget, and for the FM Boost integration. Can a future update make the size of the widget customisable?

Last edited by richwhite; 2011-03-17 at 16:49.

The Following User Says Thank You to richwhite For This Useful Post:
What would be nice would be tapping the frequency number above the power button opens the scrolling menu.
I would like to implement this but I don't know a way to open that dialog through software. Anyone got a clue?

One problem i did find - when i updated it, it installed a new widget under the old one, rather than replacing it.
Maybe a bug in the packaging. A low-priority bug.

Thanks for the great widget, and for the FM Boost integration. Can a future update make the size of the widget customisable?
You mean scalable? This would be interesting but then I have to scale every background image and every icon. Positioning of the icons and of text needs to be adapted to the new size.

Nice but lots of work.

The Following User Says Thank You to percy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 173 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Melb
i just wanted to say, i realise you made widget same size as media player, but could you give it a "compact" layout as well?

not user-scalable, just fullsize/compact?

otherwise love it!

always hated how simple fm widget just ruined aesthetic of my screen :P

Posts: 601 | Thanked: 549 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Redditch, UK
Originally Posted by percy View Post
You mean scalable? This would be interesting but then I have to scale every background image and every icon. Positioning of the icons and of text needs to be adapted to the new size.
Using *.svg (Scalable Vector Graphic) format images for the icons it would a lot easier. If you use the "Desktop Clock Widget" then the code should be easy to transfer from there, as it uses *.svg images for all the interchangable skins.

If you want me to run up some *.svg's for you I can do that too.

Tags
friendly fm