Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
I am sure Jolla will happily embrace the UK market, as this is still Europe and because they have some ties there while the UK has promised to be quite opened to trade.

That being said, I disagree to many points from @switch-hitter
This is probably because I am an economist :P

I believe Brexit was not mostly based on economics. All economic reasoning that have been used to convince people for brexit were/are mostly excuses to justify something based on politics.

The view of Martin Sandbu is quite balanced I believe (even though I am sure the FT is viewed and played the card against brexit):
The UK gained more autonomy but what is it good for? (https://www.ft.com/content/8c0aaf62-...5-2b14d1ae342d)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to P@t For This Useful Post:
I asked the Jolla team directedly and their response was.....

"Hi,

Thank you for your message!

Unfortunately it is no longer possible to purchase a Sailfish X licence in the UK due to Brexit.

Please stay tuned and follow us at https://blog.jolla.com/ and https://jolla.com/#Newsto get the latest news and updates!

Regards,

Jolla Team"

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Publicglutton For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Publicglutton View Post
"Unfortunately it is no longer possible to purchase a Sailfish X licence in the UK due to Brexit.
Jolla Team"
Shame that there isn't a "grandfather clause" for accounts created within the last seven years to support their work from UK prior to Brexit, although accepting there has to be a cut-off.

Last edited by aspergerguy; 2021-03-17 at 18:26. Reason: Correction

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aspergerguy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by aspergerguy View Post
Shame that there isn't a "grandfather clause" for accounts created within the last seven years to support their work from UK prior to Brexit, although accepting there has to be a cut-off.
I wish there were some kinda something to get Sailfish X on the total up and up in the US (like idunno, easier international licencing for little guys) without me having to jump through a few jumpable hoops to get them to "shut up and take my money".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Can we leave politics out of this, please?

Look at it from an individual business' point of view. International trade has challenges. You have to deal with different rules
politics

and regulations,
politics

tariffs
politics

custom checks,
politics

and who knows what else.
... ever more political interference

All these things aren't some law of physics; they are the product of politics, and that is the product of an interventionist ideology.

I would LOVE to leave politics out of this, but all the points you list are the result of politicians interfering with our natural, productive, healthy and voluntary human interactions. Free trade is: you want to buy and I want to sell and no politician interferes. I've been in business for 30 years and a student of economics since twenty. Don't presume you know what I am.

Last edited by clort; 2021-03-19 at 14:11.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by clort View Post
politics
politics
politics
politics
Indeed. Hence my follow-up post.

All these things aren't some law of physics; they are the product of politics, and that is the product of an interventionist ideology.
Absolutely! ALL human interaction follows rules made up by humas. You can say it is all the product of some ideology or other. Including the unregulated, free market you advocate.

But let's have a look at a few achievements of a such an "interventionist ideology"-free utopia:
  • Slavery
  • 14 hours per day, 6 days a week work
  • 5-year-old children climbing up chimnies or down mine shafts because they are small enough to fit
  • Workers getting crushed, losing hearing or contracting lung cancer because there si no "political interference" forcing their employers to provide safety harnesses, ear protection or respiratory masks
  • Radium girls
  • DDT, smog, acid rain, global warming, plastic gyre, leaded petrol, ozone hole...
  • The 2008 financial crash!
  • Pensioners freezing to death because they cannot afford the heating bills
  • Food banks popping up all over the country (I know about the UK and the US, not so much about others), because people with jobs do not earn enough to feed their families

Free trade is: you want to buy and I want to sell and no politician interferes.
It is interesting to observe how the proponents of "free this" and "free that" like to forget that part of freedom is also, "I do not want to buy from you or sell to you." (Or, in case of the so-called "free speech", replace "buy from and sell to" with "listen to".)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Indeed. Hence my follow-up post.

Absolutely! ALL human interaction follows rules made up by humas. You can say it is all the product of some ideology or other. Including the unregulated, free market you advocate.

But let's have a look at a few achievements of a such an "interventionist ideology"-free utopia:
  • Slavery
  • 14 hours per day, 6 days a week work
  • 5-year-old children climbing up chimnies or down mine shafts because they are small enough to fit
  • Workers getting crushed, losing hearing or contracting lung cancer because there si no "political interference" forcing their employers to provide safety harnesses, ear protection or respiratory masks
  • Radium girls
  • DDT, smog, acid rain, global warming, plastic gyre, leaded petrol, ozone hole...
  • The 2008 financial crash!
  • Pensioners freezing to death because they cannot afford the heating bills
  • Food banks popping up all over the country (I know about the UK and the US, not so much about others), because people with jobs do not earn enough to feed their families

It is interesting to observe how the proponents of "free this" and "free that" like to forget that part of freedom is also, "I do not want to buy from you or sell to you." (Or, in case of the so-called "free speech", replace "buy from and sell to" with "listen to".)
All your misunderstandings can be cleared up by studying real economics at mises.org.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
All your misunderstandings can be cleared up by studying real economics at mises.org.
Had to look him up, but it appears Ludwig von Mises is basically Bargain Counter Ayn Rand. Definitely stuff that seemed totally reasonable to 14-year-old-me uber-mensch. Because aren't we all at that age?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Anyway back-on topic. The Jolla representative's response, "it is no longer possible to purchase a Sailfish X licence in the UK due to Brexit." Is inaccurate and misleading.

Exiting the EU is not a cause of not being able to get a Sailfish X. Unless UK actually bans them, it's the EU interfering with trade. Always try to keep a clear head and recognize who is actually performing an action - in this instance, forbidding a voluntary trade or contract.

Try to avoid blaming the victim -- 180 degrees backwards thinking. A lot of that going around nowadays.

It has become a common fallacy to believe that simply inverting the obviously true thing makes you a 'sophisticated thinker'.

Last edited by clort; 2021-03-21 at 11:50.

The Following User Says Thank You to clort For This Useful Post:
Ironically Fairphone has no reservations still trading with UK.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aspergerguy For This Useful Post:

Tags
availability, sailfish x