Posts: 574 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ BC, Canada
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Also Tech: Will future updates to apps installed this way complain of not coming from the same source?
I don't think it will be treated any differently than if you edited the original entries, but maybe someone more familiar with Debian installs can confirm.

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Silly-Con Valley
Originally Posted by technut View Post
I don't think it will be treated any differently than if you edited the original entries, but maybe someone more familiar with Debian installs can confirm.
Technut is right, debs don't care where the last/next one came from. The only (outside of app manager) care about if they themself match the key signature for their point of origin this time.

Last edited by linuxrebel; 2007-12-23 at 21:49.

The Following User Says Thank You to linuxrebel For This Useful Post:
I have heard, however, that if you install from App Manager 2008, it will whine if you try to upgrade from another repo. In this way, the /etc/hosts workaround is safer, since the repository is still the same.
AbiWord on Maemo beta now available - contact me to help fix bugs!

wow thanks, i don't really understand this, but it works. It seems to be a fallback server for any misspelled server names

http://xyz.maemo.org/extras/

is redirected to 62.61.85.32 and also works fine

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Speedy For This Useful Post:
Can we put this in terms that people like me (Slow) can understand. Youtube seems to be the way to go. Maybe make youtube videos or any type of video walking the people like me through the process of fixing these problems on their device. I know that would be very helpful to someone like me. Thanks

Last edited by lethalphelon; 2007-12-24 at 09:58. Reason: Forgot to type thanks.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by lethalphelon View Post
Can we put this in terms that people like me (Slow) can understand. Youtube seems to be the way to go. Maybe make youtube videos or any type of video walking the people like me through the process of fixing these problems on their device. I know that would be very helpful to someone like me. Thanks

(sigh)

OK here goes...

1. Set up your camera on an angle to the device so you wont get in the way of the shot.

2. Compose the shot in the view finder to frame the tablet and hit record.

3. Now hit the home screen icon for apps on the tablet. (usually third one down on the left.)

4. Scroll to "settings" and hit "application manager".

5. Hit the menu button on the device. (the middle button between the arrow and the home icon buttons)

6. Tap "tools" with your stylus, then "application catalog".

7. On the newly opened screen scroll to "Maemo Extras", once it is highlighted hit edit.

8. On the "Catalog details" page highlight the web address field to start the key board, then backspace over the "i" in "repository" removing the "i" and leaving the just the characters "http://repostory.maemo.org/extras/" in this field.

9. Hit "OK" with your stylus.

10. Hit close on the the Catalog page.

11. Hit "OK" when prompted to refresh your applications.

12. After the refresh you should now be able to install the apps listed.
13. Turn off camera and upload video to YouTube.

14. Provide a link to this video in this thread.

15. Enjoy.

Last edited by YoDude; 2007-12-24 at 11:38.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
After the above procedure I get the following message: (Unable to refresh to access catalogues. check network connections again.) ?

I went for the addional repositories install link.

Had to also disable the cureent ones (there is a tick box).

After that it all workes great.

Many thanks. We had backups all along and nobody knew about them

Zuber

What backups? Where?

I can confirm that deleting the "i" in repository also works with the "Testing Maemo Extras" repository. By doing this I was able to get omweather. Yes!

Tags
extras