Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Thanks, that's what I was hoping you'd say!

BTW, I was talking about KitKat just for the sake of argument, i.e. if there was a port with a KitKat base, would it work with sfdroid now (not specific to FP2). I know I'll have to wait for it to be rebased think it'll be worth the wait though!
In case if you're asking if can you install CM12.1 sfdroid (not that one exists yet) onto an AOSP 5 based device then the answer is no. Due to the extra customisation code and such in CM it wouldn't work. If you mean porting the code over then it should in theory be very similar.

Sorry if that wasn't clear before.

Last edited by nh1402; 2016-05-13 at 09:11.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by nh1402 View Post
In case if you're asking if can you install CM12.1 sfdroid (not that one exists yet) onto an AOSP 5 based device then the answer is no.
Ah, that is what I meant (using it "as is" with no modifications).

Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Ah, that is what I meant (using it "as is" with no modifications).
krnlyng/liar has considered going down the chroot route again but it would still need modifications for each device for some things. So we kind of dismissed it.

If anyone has any ideas that takes into account getting hardware input for each device through Sailfish (not using the Sailfish/QT or whatever sensor api stuff Sailfish can use as that can't be accessed in Android, unless you find a way to do that), and all the other stuff involved and are actually willing to help develop it then we're open to it. Then it would be the case of installing Sailfish the same way as Ubuntu touch does it in order to save space, and not have essentially 3 OS's for one ROM.

One thing we've considered is extending apkenv but the work involved to make that run all kinds of android apps is A LOT

Last edited by nh1402; 2016-05-13 at 12:26.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
I remember that the problem with apkenv was that it required a special treatment for every app. If we were able to run a real Dalvik VM, then the apkenv approach would be really feasible.

And N900/N9 portable I guess.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
I remember that the problem with apkenv was that it required a special treatment for every app. If we were able to run a real Dalvik VM, then the apkenv approach would be really feasible.

And N900/N9 portable I guess.
well krnlyng/liar has already done that, but it still requires special treament for every app, and doesn't work with Java only apps. It might be interesting to see if the Android N JIT compiler helps.

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by nh1402 View Post
well krnlyng/liar has already done that, but it still requires special treament for every app, and doesn't work with Java only apps. It might be interesting to see if the Android N JIT compiler helps.
Oh. Seems a lot's happened while I was not around here. lAnd why isn't a real dalvik vm sufficient?

And what is the portability to N9/N900 (don't care about the performance-usability factor here right now)
Some dependencies on newer EGL api or whatever?

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Oh. Seems a lot's happened while I was not around here. lAnd why isn't a real dalvik vm sufficient?

And what is the portability to N9/N900 (don't care about the performance-usability factor here right now)
Some dependencies on newer EGL api or whatever?
sailfishos uses android gpu blobs via libhybris. sfdroid uses the android gpu blobs directly, same blobs one kernel module, works fine. (if we ignore all the other parts which would require interventions - which we mostly haven't done, audio for example would require some sort of replacement audioflinger which talks to pulseaudio or what not)

on n900 i guess you could try using the android gpu blobs at the same time as maemo uses the it's own gpu blobs. but the chance that this works is slim to non-existant since the different blobs probably require different kernel module versions like on the n9.

i have tried making this work on the n9 but there were many issues. i was close to getting gralloc to initialize, but thats about it.

EDIT: a real dalvik vm in apkenv opens many possibilities: one could write custom jar files which provide fake android services which talk to sailfishos via jni. this probably can be done but there are huge amounts of work involved. the dalvikvm alone doesn't help too much, since you're still missing the android classes and services which the individual apps depend on.

Last edited by liar; 2016-05-20 at 05:27.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to liar For This Useful Post:
If I would like to port sfdroid to Oneplus X (CM12.1 based) would I need to compile e.g. the libhardware stuff (sfdroid_sensors.default.so and sharebuffer.default.so) in a clean CM12.1 android build env or can I also use the mer-hybris build env which I already have for the Oneplus X?

If I need a clean CM12.1 build env is it possible and sufficient to just build the needed pieces (single modules) or do I need to first build the whole source tree including the kernel for the Oneplus X?
The problem might be that I don't have a complete CM12.1 build env for Oneplus X as there is no official support for it from Cyanogenmod. The CM12.1 build for Oneplus X is a community port and based on top of that SFOS is running...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jobe For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jobe View Post
If I would like to port sfdroid to Oneplus X (CM12.1 based) would I need to compile e.g. the libhardware stuff (sfdroid_sensors.default.so and sharebuffer.default.so) in a clean CM12.1 android build env or can I also use the mer-hybris build env which I already have for the Oneplus X?

If I need a clean CM12.1 build env is it possible and sufficient to just build the needed pieces (single modules) or do I need to first build the whole source tree including the kernel for the Oneplus X?
The problem might be that I don't have a complete CM12.1 build env for Oneplus X as there is no official support for it from Cyanogenmod. The CM12.1 build for Oneplus X is a community port and based on top of that SFOS is running...
I'm going to consider this a race to get sfdroid working on CM12.1. (against me if that wasn't clear)

Originally Posted by jobe View Post

you can probably build the native stuff in a mer-hybris env, but i don't think the java stuff will be easy... a full android build environment is probably required, since the parts have to match

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to liar For This Useful Post:

Tags
apkenv